Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Hi there, which resort are you interested in so we can help more?
Charliegirl.

To be honest I am not really sure. I will be booking the hotel direct myself and not through a tour company.

I suppose Sleima may be a good base I suppose. We are only there for three days anyway. Is Valleta a good place to stay? St Georges Bay I can remember.

Open to any help really. Thanks anyway.
Valletta is not a good place to stay ( Charliegirl stands back and waits for others to contradict her !!! ) As for Sliema, I think another person on here can help more than I can :wink: I am sure he will be on soon
Hi there,

I would like to recommend the Victoria Hotel in Sliema.

http://www.victoriahotel.com/

My father stayed here in June this year for B&B and found it very good. He booked direct through their website. It's also very convenient for the seafront and shopping areas of Sliema. You will be able to catch buses very easily from the seafront and there are also numerous restaurants within easy walking distance. The hotel is in a fairly quiet backstreet location so that it doesn't suffer from traffic noise either. We have also booked my husbands parents in to stay there the week after next!

Hope this helps!

Ciao

Susan
I second the Victoria Hotel.We had a wonderful stay there and have booked up again for Feb next year.
Hi :wave

I would agree that Sliema is probably your best choice, there is easy access to all areas of the island by bus plus Valleta is just a short ferry crossing away.

When Sliema2 has got back from his open water PADI driving lesson :lol: he will no doubt give you a good choice of accomodation to check out.

Don't worry about Farsons beer, they brew many excellent beers now, Cisk and Hopleaf are outstanding.

THIS is what Farsons now produce, you will be surprised :glynis
I am sure you will love going back again
Graham
Hello Pedro, I can certainly vouch for the Victoria Hotel in Sliema it really is very nice, however I notice that you were looking for a good value hotel so am I right in thinking that you don't want to spend to much ? if so then I can highly reccomend the Sliema Chalet hotel, it is a fuss free hotel in a very good postition with decent sized clean rooms with decent bathrooms and tv, if you book direct ask to speak to the Manager Sinjur Ian Sultana who is a very nice chap who will help you with any requests or queries that you may have http://www.sliemachalet.com let me know if I can help you further.

Regards
Sliema2
Mnay thanks for all that very helpful info. I have emailed both The Victoria and Sleima chalets.

We will be going in early Feb 2007. £20 return flights on Ryanair and that includes all the tax, unbelieveable.

Difficult question to answer this, I know but if some of you have been there around Feb time, then any idea what the weather may be like. Not expecting it too warm!

Good they have improved the beer! that Farson's draught was disgusting tipple.

I remember we used to go to Whispers in Mosta for fantastic steaks. Rumour had it then that it was owned by Rolf Harris.

I remember too going to a grotty sort of a bar on the main road up a hill at the back of Sleima. Great bar, nevertheless, and it had a few pics of Oliver Reed getting p**s*d in there!

My real everlasting memory of Malta is of Honey coloured buildings with TV aerials going up to the sky. All the very few sandy beaches were man made I think as well.

Thanks for them info guys. Some good restaurants(not expensive ones) would be welcomed.
We were ther last Feb and during the day the weather was pleasant,i even got to wear shorts a couple of days.A night time can be colder so you will need a jacket/jumpers.
Saying that the weather in Feb can be very unpredictable so best to prepare for cooler weather as well during the day,just in case.
Or is that just a womans view,prepare for all weather clothes wise is my excuse to take my full wardrobe :)
Man made beaches? Well, there were'nt any when you were there. There are 2 now but very small. One is St Georges Bay where they've done a fantastic job in a confined area. The other is at Bugibba but is a sandy beach on top of the natural rocky shoreline.

There are many natural sandy beaches in Malta. They are small by larger countries standards but that's what makes them more appealing - they have character rather than being a 5km conveyor belt of boring sand.
I am afraid that there were man made beaches when I was there. That is how I knew about it.

Has the drinking water improved at all. I think they used to de-salinate the sea water to provide drinking water. Is that still the case or have things moved on at all?
"Has the drinking water improved at all. I think they used to de-salinate the sea water to provide drinking water. Is that still the case or have things moved on at all?"

most water is de-salinated, while Feb is the coldest month of the year (but still alot warmer than Wales (at around 16C, thats about the same as Wales in the summer isn't it :D )Atleast the beaches will be deserted, whether man-made or natural

how about The Grand Hotel, Mgarr, Gozo (the only thing is, once you come to Gozo, you might not leave !)
http://www.grandhotelmalta.com/english/location.htm - Feb is low season, so even the rack rate is only £45 B&B for two for a seaview room - give them a call, and it might be even cheaper - great restaurants in walking distance.
Gozomark.

Thanks for that. I'll email them anyway.

As a matter of interest how does one get from the airport to Gozo? Taking into account that we land at about 2130hrs.

Cheers.
2 choices - helicopter (quick, but expensive - £80 pp) or taxi, then ferry, then either walk or hotel car just up the hill
http://www.gozochannel.com/timetable.asp?w=1 gives last winter's ferry timetable - assuming its the same, you would probably get the midnight ferry ,even if the palne landed 1 hour late (land at 21:30, out of airport at 22:30, ferry terminal at 23:00)
then 25 mins ferry
I think we have decided on the Victoria Hotel. Looks very nice indeed and not too expensive considering.

A question to you guys who have stayed there. What is the main difference between a 'standard' room and a 'superior' room? Is it worth paying a few euro extra for the superior?

Cheers.
This is me getting too confused and bogged down as usual. was reading a few reviews of hotels on another site and someone spoke well of Juliani Hotel in St Julian's and preferred it to the Victoria. No real reasons given though. Anyone any thoughts on that? cheers.
I think the only difference is the superior room has a lounge area and unless your going to be in your room for long periods of time i wouldnt bother as the standard rooms are just as nice.
How did you guys who stayed at the Victoria go about booking a room.

It just seems that if booked through the hotel's web site the rates seem much higher.

I have found a site that has two nights in February with breakfast in a standard twin room for £43 a night. That does seem very good to me considering the standard of the hotel.
Hello
I booked with Chevron http://www.chevron.co.uk/ for a 3 week stay.
Not sure if they do several day bookings or not but you could enquire.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.