America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
As nice as it would be to recommend touring New England I don't think you will have the time to do it justice in 2 weeks if you want to see the major cities as well. Some time spent in Maine and New Hampshire would be nice though.

Washington DC is a great city and the best thing, most of it is free. All the museums, the zoo, the monuments etc. A word of warning, if you want to get in the Capitol Building for a tour or up the Washington Monument get there early for tickets. They start selling them early and they do sell out (they are free though) quite quickly. It really depends on the time of the year. We never managed to get up the Washington Monument depsite trying for 5 days on the trot. It was the week after Xmas though a in 2005, a very busy time for the city. We did get to do a tour of the Capitol though. Well worth the queueing.

Make sure you get to Boston. A great city and very walkable. Do the Freedom Trail. Just google this and it will give you further details. Also, make sure you get over to Cambridge for Harvard Uni and MIT. All easily accesible on the metro from Boston.

I haven't been to New York since 2000 so others can comment on that one. Obviously I managed to get up the World Trade Center which was an unbelieveable experience, alas no longer possible.

Again, Niagara I have not been to, although I understand the Canadian side is the place to be. I'm sure others will be able to give advice on that.

Best of luck with your planning
Emma

Make sure you have insurance in place before you leave the UK for the weeks after you finish camp.

I read on another forum of someone who did similar to you, worked in hte US for a few weeks and then extended their stay and did a tour. He posted to ask about getting insurance after his trip had started and had found that it was considerably more expensive to do it in retrospect than it would have been if he had set it up before he left. In fact it would have been cheaper to fly back and arrange the insurance here.

luci :wave
Thank you very much both of you, very useful information.

thanks Luci, i am going with camp America and my insurance lasts until i get home from the US. So it covers me for my 4 month working period that is available on my visa.

There just seems so much to see and do in America that i want to prioritise my agenda.

Not really sure if i will get to the West side as camp is in the East so for now i am aiming to do travelling around the Eastern side of the US

Thank you very much x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.