Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Refused Entry
5 Posts
I have just read in todays paper a lady from Scotland got held for 15 hours at bourgas untill they got a flight to deport her.She has held a uk passport for 50 years but because she was born in Ireland she should have had a visa as they said that the new law came into force on September1st,but Balkans did not inform them of the new rules .The lady and her husband had been twice the year before with no trouble :swear
Hello June 52, Firstly hope all is alright. Ref this business of New Law regarding Non British Citizens. I am not supporting Balkan Holidays in anyway, but if anybody wishes to look at their Summer 2006 Ist issue Brochure and look under heading. Passports, Visas and Travel Advice. It is all stated there to check with Embassies before travelling. another case of we do not always read the smallprint. Tonyt
Tony is quite correct - of course!!

Balkan Holidays have ALWAYS stated in the brochure and their website that 'BRITISH SUBJECT PASSPORT holders should contact the embassy of their destination country for visa information.' The Bulgarian Embassy website has always made it clear that British Subject passport holders require visas.

This has always been the case. the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office website advice is being misunderstood. The only thing new from 1st September 2006 is that British Citizens can now stay 90 days and not 30 within a 6 month period without a visa.

The status of British Subject passport holders remains unchanged, and I first became aware of problems in August of this year and posted accordingly on the Passport & Visa thread.

I suspect that this has only really come to light this year because Bulgaria as a tourist destination has been heavily sold on the Irish market, and these are the people most affected.

The fact that some people have 'got away' with it in the past is irrelevant.

Peter
Hi Tony /Peter as the lady said in the paper as they had been twice last year they did not think there would be any problem .The other five in the party stayed . .Like you we always check the details in the book too. :?: PS the pohots were very good that you put on to share with us all Tony
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.