Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Sorry to hear of your bereavment.
With regards to finding a travel agent there are lots of options to choose from. If you know what you want and would like to book online I would check Travel Republic, On the Beach, Thomson and Thomas Cook.
Hi frej, if it's a while since you booked a holiday I would be inclined to suggest that you avoid doing an on-line booking. There are a number of pitfalls that the unwary can fall into when using on-line booking sites as any browse through the complaints forum here on HT will demonstrate.

My suggestion would be to try and find out if there is an independent travel agency near you - if you gave us an indication of where you live other members might be able to recommend a TA shop with good staff. You can then always a browse on the Net arm yourself with the best prices etc and then go and see if they will price match for an over the counter booking - many will - but you will have the security of dealing with a real person who you can always go back to in the event of problems. The advantage of using and independent is that they won't be part of one of the big TO changes and won't have a vest interest in selling you a holiday from their parent company.

If be any chance you live in the Tayside area of Scotland then I would recommend Ramsay Travel - I have always found them to be very helpful and willing to search out the good deals. They were always very open and honest too. For example, when I wanted a cheap deal for some warmth towards the end of what seemed like a never ending winter they found me a good deal in Tunisia but warned me that as a woman travelling on her own I needed to bear in mind that it wouldn't be like the Med, that nearly everything was very hotel-based and that I probably wouldn't want to go out on my own of an evening and that shopkeepers in the souks and medinas could be quite assertive in trying to get you to buy from them. It didn't put me off - I enjoy haggling and was familiar with Muslim mores and expectations of modest dress etc so I booked but for someone less used to travelling on their own or with little experience of travel in Muslim countries that would have been invaluable information and advice that they wouldn't have got from an on- line booker.

SM
Sma makes a good point about using an independent travel agent. Their knowledge and advice is invaluable - especially if it's a while since you've been on holiday. Travel Counsellors are very well known and often come recommended - their agents work from home and there are about 1000 dotted round the UK (so you'll easily be able to find one or two that are local to you).
I would still always compare the quotes they give you online (with one of the agencies I mentioned earlier). That way you can be sure of getting a great deal.
Have a look on Thomson and Thomas Cooks website and if there is a holiday that catches your eye ask the agent to match the price.
I mainly use Thomson now as they have a lovely fleet of new planes from our airport but also use Hays Travel the UKs largest Independant agent as they are based in my town and have more flexibility than a package holiday.
Avoid the OTAs if only because it's a while since you've holidayed, and things have moved on considerably, and not all for the better :que

If you're looking for stress free, try and find a good independent agent who will package a holiday for you, with the airline, accommodation etc of your choosing, unless of course you can find a good 'off the shelf' package from one of the tour operators. Those are restrictive though, so you may not be able to get what you really want. I would avoid anything the agents describes as 'flight plus' though being as it's a while since you had a holiday a package would reduce any risks involved.

If you want to use one of the major names eg Thomas Cook, Thomsons etc, Thomas Cooks have a single pricing policy on their off the shelf packages, so no matter whether you book with them online, in store or over the phone, the price is the same.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.