Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Resort Advice
3 Posts
It depends what you mean by "resort". In Koh Samui, the main town Chaweng, does have a street of girlie bars but this is off the main street.
If you want a quieter place Bophut has none of these bars. I think the village elders have stood firm against them. Bophut has a lovely street of bars and restaurants but the beach would not be as good as Chaweng- but it was fine for us!
Hua Hin also mainly has the bars off of the main tourist street. But in both Hua Hin and Chaweng they are pretty low key and non threatening if you have kids. They won't pester couples.
I'm sure others can you their thoughts on places they have been to. :)
Hi mrstella,

I think a lot is made of the sex industry in Thailand. Yes, it does exist - but it is easily avoided.

Janet, my wife, and I have spent many wonderful holidays in Thailand and never been troubled. The areas concerned are "localised" and any risque stuff is easily avoided. Bangkok has 3 main areas, Patpong, Cowboy and Nana Plaza, but the first two of these are also "tourist" sights and many people just walk through for a "look see". No public indecency / nudity is on display. We have found the areas in Bangkok to be no worse (possibly less offensive) than areas of Amsterdam (or many other major European cities).

Pattaya (which we have avoided) and Patong (Phuket) are areas of the country that are well known for the sex trade. Fiona has already mentioned Chaweng in Koh Samui.

Many other places have a small area of "Girly" bars, as Fiona points out. We have never been troubled in these areas and when it is obvious that you are a couple or just not interested, you are left in peace. In most of these bars, the girls are there just to persuade you to by drinks, not for sex.

We have ventured into the Bar area in Hua Hin and had a drink in some of the bars. It is surprising how pleasant and helpful some of the girls can be (and drinks are much cheaper than in your hotel)

Whilst these "nightlife" areas are not places that we would wish to spend any great amount of time in and after much initial uncertainty, we no longer think twice and look on them as another of the sights. (we go for the climate, the scenery, the beaches, the food and the high standard of much of the accommodation)

You will find that Thailand is an amazing experience where the old co-exists with the new. It is a relatively safe place for foreign visitors. Bangkok may seem hectic and confusing initially, but it is very easy to get around. If you do go, I would thoroughly recommend 3 nights in Bangkok either at the start or at the end of your holiday. The Grand Palace / Wat Po, a floating market and dinner on a rice barge on the Chao Phraya are thoroughly recommended.

For your first visit, unless you are young and highly adventurous, you should probably consider Koh Samui, Phuket or Krabi for the beach. If you are more into traveling / sightseeing, then the North of the country - Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and the golden triangle are a great introduction.

Fiona summed up the nightlife very well:
- these areas are low key, non-threatening and they don't pester couples.

Give it some thought, do your research and give it a go! Thailand is one of our favourite destinations in SE Asia.

Peter
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.