Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
The best known Chinese is probably in Puerto Colon; The Slow Boat. However I recommended a new one last week. I'm not sure about the name, but it is located next to San Eugenio's bar opposite Los Geranios reception and I am told they serve a excellent buffet for 6.50 Euros.
If you are on a budget then I'm afraid the Slowboat may be a little pricey for you, though I have to say the food is very good in there. We ate at the chinese buffet that is situated at the entrance to Club Olympus (Garden City) last year I think it was 6.50 euro the food was not too bad but the beer was awful. We are also on a budget this year so if anyone has any other suggestions I'll be pleased to hear them :cheers
Barney Bears spot on, go back as many times as you like, lacks a bit of atmospere though.
Rodz
I haven't been to Tenerife since 2001 when it was very cheap everywhere. Have heard a lot about the euro making everything expensive. Is that the case? We are self catering and there are 7 of us going, is it going to be really expensive to eat anywhere? Are there places in Playa De Las Americas that are cheapish to eat? We are staying at Garden City.
Last year £1 bought you 1.45 euros now it`s 1.08 went down to parity at one stage so yes it`s a lot more expensive.
I look at some families and wonder how they can afford it.
Been there from Nov 2008 until March 2009 and a lot of the bars and restaurants did begin to realise there was a credit crunch and got their act together.
Examples my local was 5.75 euros for a pint and a glass of wine he dropped it to 3.75 euros and that`s pretty general.
I find the best deals are at lunch time, most bars restaurants bistros whatever they call thereself are doing a menu of the day at approx 7 euros ish.
Most of them are very good value especially the spanish ones.
You could do a big one pot meal somedays, pasta and nice sauce, fill the kids up.
We don`t eat out every day due to the length of time we are there.
Don`t forget if you are shopping for food go to Mercadona under the shopping centre, like our Tesco or Asda.
It`s near Garden City.
If you see Spar, Netto or Iceland stay clear as they are aimed at the holiday trade
and are very and I mean very expensive, Pears soap 2.80 euros, loaf of bread nearly three euros, that`s nearly thee quid.
Sure you will be OK
Rodz
And if you want cheep booze Kitty O'Shea's behind the beach in Puerto Colon only charges 1 Euro a pint! The kids might like to play crazy golf on the floor above or there are "floting islands" to climb on in the sea on the Puerto Colon beach if your kids are old enough. :D
I spend my life there.
Go in an evening though when the prices are dearer but like Pete Breen.
Rodz
Re: stonerose's comments about the Scotch Corner and the home-made Steak Pie. My wife had the misfortune to order this on a visit last year too. I think it could have been home-made..........by Mr & Mrs Findus !! Also my meal of scotch pie and chips was almost inedible too - Avoid at all costs !!
I can recommend Chirsy's Bar (down the path leading to the beach opposite Oscars) Had a nice sunday lunch, so good in fact we returned twice more, proper home cooking :)
You hope that the owners of these establishments read these posts and do something about putting things right.
You go on holiday and deserve to be looked after and served good food.
I live in Los Geranios for a good slab of the winter of which Scotch Corner is situated on.
We did have breakfast there a few weeks ago and it was OK. It was 2 English breakfasts for 5 euros but the two cups of tea put 4 euros on the bill.
Rodz
Anyone been to James Brasserie opposite Aqualand? Seem to remember it was a carvery, but noticed it was closed last year and heard it reopened as above.
Hi Guys
new to Tenerife, we are staying at Caleta which I understand is a small fishing place then runs through to main resort. Can someone give me ideas of easy to find places to eat both close at hand and alittle further out(will have car). Friend at work stayed at the Sheraton (out of my budget) and said they would not drive anywhere!!!!!!!!!! So good directions please.
A mixed bag price wise, if we have a couple reasonable set meals we can go up in price a couple of times. One last thing a special place would also be nice for birthday treat.
Hope someone can help becasue all the names and areas are lost on me.
hi la pergola on purto colon harbour next to the irish rose does a great lamb shank its a 3 course meal for 7 euros also the tomato soup is very good
hi the 1st chinnese next to santa maria apartments was very good last year in fanabe
Anyone got any up to date tips for eating out and having a beer in Los Gigantes

:cheers
If anyone wants a good Sunday roast (carvery) perhaps they should consider The Tea Rooms in LC next to the Cristian Sur complex.

Unless it has changed recently it's only on from 1pm-5pm approx on a Sunday (but of course!) and at 15€ for 2 including a large glass of wine each its good value and very popular, so I'm told.

We wanted to try it but always found ourselves around the pool at that time of the day and for us it far too hot during October for a big meal. Hopefully it will still be available for our next visit in March !

Regards, Chris
hi we had fish and chips there last year it was awfull hubby and chilli never seen batter like it was like wash leather
the roast house is good on the front nr harbour 2 for 1 on a friday night but it was not cheap good carvery
I am wondering, could anybody recomend a child friendly restaurant in the los christianos area, we are staying at the castle harbour apartments. Thanks
HI mattaj81,

I think you will find all places are child friendly and cant think of one that you would have a problem with.

Chris
We went to the Mirrador next to the beach in El Duc, excellent food and service, would definately recommend for a special occassion.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.