Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
We go Saturday so will give a full report on our return! 8)
Will look forward to that, thanks a lot! :D
In case anybody replies before I go, does anybody know if there's a neighbouring hotel? We usually go half board but this wasn't an option.

Can't stand the thought of waiting for waiters EVERY night! :wink:
Back home to the sun 8) and rain! :?

Here's a quick report that i'll keep as level headed as possible bearing in mind that one mans meat is anothers poison etc.,!! :lol: I'll clear up some of the negatives first........

The Vista Picas apartments are very good, very well located, clean and tidy with all that you could possibly need to get you through the week.................except air conditioning! It is therefore essential that you get to Reception asap and hire a couple of fans at 1.50 euros a day as they do run out! Set on 1 they aren't too loud and whilst not a replacement for Aircon we got by.

Ants are pretty rampant in Menorca and we had a few so any sweet stuff or food we stuck in the fridge. They seem to come and go. One day you'd see a lone soldier, the next day 20 or more. Apparently at Reception they have a spray that you can use if needed. We weren't that bothered.

Depending on where you are put some apartments are better located than others. 3/4's of them face the pool, the others an area of scrubland between the complex and the main street. At one end you would be in earshot of 'The Square' where the music goes on a little later than other areas. We overlooked the entertainments area and were by the main entrance so had lots of toing and froing in the early hours but it wasn't a problem as I always sit on the balcony with a beer till late anyway.
:lol: It sems that families with young children are put on the ground floor and if you get one of the apartments central to, and overlooking the pool you'll be quids in.

Sunbeds and shade. Not enough shades but plenty of sunbeds, or rather there would be if people didn't do the usual towel trick at 7am and then clear off to the beach or market till 4pm! :twisted: Another good reason for getting an apartment near the pool!

Now some positives. The pool is superb, the best we've ever experienced. Made up of one deep very large circle and a second shallower converging smaller one there was always space. Being big the old floating sun cream eyes look was minimised. There's also a smaller baby pool.

The bar staff work their socks off and the drinks prices and meals are good value.

The Entertainment blows hot and cold. The Blues Brothers were very good, as was the Flamenco but the Irish dancing and Enigma Magic show done little for me. This may be because we've been there, seen it, got the T-shirt so don't be put off.

Overall I think with young kids you'll find the Vista Picas superb. Ours are past Kids Clubs and party dances but most nights they wished they were young again and could join in
:lol:
Calan'Forcat.
If your looking for a bit of old Spain forget it. The resort is geared up for people to go out, have a meal and buy souvenirs. Nowt wrong with that and if you want a bit of old world charm the bus fare (bus stop right outside Vista Picas) is only 1.30e to Ciudadela which is well worth a visit.
Again for young children there's a play area with all sorts of things just across from the apartments. Everything is within a ten minute stroll from 'home'.

Eating Out.
We ate out every night in 8 different restaurants. Basically you can take the menu from one and it's the same everywhere you go. Chicken Kebabs, Steak, Pork Loin, Pizza, pasta and prices are pretty much the same everywhere. The CUERO Steak house is good and we'd previously read that it's popular with many people. However i'd reccomend the HAITI, right on the roundabout. Fillet steak in two pepper and mushroom sauce, Chicken Breast stuffed with spinach, mushroom and bolognese for £11 and £7.50 respectively. Pasta, Pizzas etc., from £3-£4...... The HAITI is the only place that made us feel we'd been catered for with toys for the kids, a joke or two and good food............

I could go on and on but if you want to know any more just ask.......

PS: Just one thing that we noticed is that people weren't going out to eat until about 7.45 onwards. In Majorca things started happening at 7pm! This was particularly evident in Ciudadela where the evening 'market' stallss weren't even set up when we arreived at 8pm!
Many thanks for all that. We are certainly looking forward to our holiday in mid September. I think I'll go armed with ant powder though! Cheers! :D
Hi Lesley,

We are also going to be near Calan Forcat next week. We are staying is some villas near Calan Bruc.

Calan Forcat is a fantastic resort if you have young children...

.......with a Water Park in the resort, bouncy castles, mini train, jungle jym type places and most of the restaurants and bars will welcome children with open arms...

As mentioned previously by "Scaramooch", HAITI restaurant near the roundabout is probably one of the best. You really can't go wrong there. They are brilliant with children and there is a huge selection on the menu.

For English breakfast or If you like Mexican food or Steak then try BIANCO restaurant opposite HAITI. We have tried nearly every restaurant in the resort over the years and Haiti is definately the best in our humble oppinion. You may find a queue outside at peak times, but it's worth the wait.

Our favorite Chinese is the one next to the Star Shop.

The best priced supermarket, if you can't get out of the resort, is the one behind the Water Park, just past the Hotel Los Delfines.

If I think of any more things, I'll let you know.
Thanks for that Elaine, any other tips etc is most appreciated. I have already hired 2 buggies instead of lugging them from the UK! I'll need supplies of nappies for the 2 kids too so will try the supermarket you mentioned. I'm sure we'll have fun, it's our first family holiday so nervous about plane journey etc and the weather reports I've been reading have suggested some nasty weather so not sure what to expect! Anyway it's a break away from home... :D
Hi Lesley,

I'm sure the kids will love the plane journey, take a few things to keep them occupied and the time will 'Fly' by :fly

If you've got a car, then the best place to do your shopping is in the SYP supermarket on the road out of Calan Blanes, just before you get to Ciutadella (Right next to the petrol station). You will pass it everytime drive out of the resort.

If you fancy going to the Water Park, but don't think the little ones will last a whole day in there, then go later in the afternoon and it's half price.

The best beach in the resorts of Calan Blanes and Calan Forcat is the Calan Blanes Beach, just up from Calan Bruc. It's not very big, but it's the biggest in the resort and the water is quite shallow for about 5 meters - perfect for younger children.

Save a bit of fat from a slice of ham, tie a piece of cotton around it and let the children spend hours trying to catch crabs with it. We have a little 2 year old in our group that could spend all day and night doing it. She trys to do it in the swimming pool too !!!!

Again, if you have a car.......... on the road from Ciutadella to Mahon (a few miles out of Ciutadella) there is a little "castle" which sells Lladro statues. Apart from Lladro they have a fantastic play area which is totally free to go in. It has a water slide, trampolines and various rides..

Well, I'm off again...... hope this helps
E
Here's a quick report that i'll keep as level headed as possible bearing in mind that one mans meat is anothers poison etc.,!! Laughing I'll clear up some of the negatives first........

The Vista Picas apartments are very good, very well located, clean and tidy with all that you could possibly need to get you through the week.................except air conditioning! It is therefore essential that you get to Reception asap and hire a couple of fans at 1.50 euros a day as they do run out! Set on 1 they aren't too loud and whilst not a replacement for Aircon we got by.

Ants are pretty rampant in Menorca and we had a few so any sweet stuff or food we stuck in the fridge. They seem to come and go. One day you'd see a lone soldier, the next day 20 or more. Apparently at Reception they have a spray that you can use if needed. We weren't that bothered.

Depending on where you are put some apartments are better located than others. 3/4's of them face the pool, the others an area of scrubland between the complex and the main street. At one end you would be in earshot of 'The Square' where the music goes on a little later than other areas. We overlooked the entertainments area and were by the main entrance so had lots of toing and froing in the early hours but it wasn't a problem as I always sit on the balcony with a beer till late anyway.
Laughing It sems that families with young children are put on the ground floor and if you get one of the apartments central to, and overlooking the pool you'll be quids in.

Sunbeds and shade. Not enough shades but plenty of sunbeds, or rather there would be if people didn't do the usual towel trick at 7am and then clear off to the beach or market till 4pm! Twisted Evil Another good reason for getting an apartment near the pool!

Now some positives. The pool is superb, the best we've ever experienced. Made up of one deep very large circle and a second shallower converging smaller one there was always space. Being big the old floating sun cream eyes look was minimised. There's also a smaller baby pool.

The bar staff work their socks off and the drinks prices and meals are good value.

The Entertainment blows hot and cold. The Blues Brothers were very good, as was the Flamenco but the Irish dancing and Enigma Magic show done little for me. This may be because we've been there, seen it, got the T-shirt so don't be put off.

Overall I think with young kids you'll find the Vista Picas superb. Ours are past Kids Clubs and party dances but most nights they wished they were young again and could join in
Laughing

Calan'Forcat.
If your looking for a bit of old Spain forget it. The resort is geared up for people to go out, have a meal and buy souvenirs. Nowt wrong with that and if you want a bit of old world charm the bus fare (bus stop right outside Vista Picas) is only 1.30e to Ciudadela which is well worth a visit.
Again for young children there's a play area with all sorts of things just across from the apartments. Everything is within a ten minute stroll from 'home'.

Eating Out.
We ate out every night in 8 different restaurants. Basically you can take the menu from one and it's the same everywhere you go. Chicken Kebabs, Steak, Pork Loin, Pizza, pasta and prices are pretty much the same everywhere. The CUERO Steak house is good and we'd previously read that it's popular with many people. However i'd reccomend the HAITI, right on the roundabout. Fillet steak in two pepper and mushroom sauce, Chicken Breast stuffed with spinach, mushroom and bolognese for £11 and £7.50 respectively. Pasta, Pizzas etc., from £3-£4...... The HAITI is the only place that made us feel we'd been catered for with toys for the kids, a joke or two and good food............

I could go on and on but if you want to know any more just ask.......

PS: Just one thing that we noticed is that people weren't going out to eat until about 7.45 onwards. In Majorca things started happening at 7pm! This was particularly evident in Ciudadela where the evening 'market' stallss weren't even set up when we arreived at 8pm!

That sounds great. We are just about to book to go to the same place next August.
:D
Congratulations 12noon. The longest quote I've ever seen.
It's easier to read black on white.
:D
Sorry about the long quote.
How did you get on Lesley?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.