Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi lovetodance,
they have merengue/bachata dancing after the shows every evening. They also do dance classes at certain times during the day too. The beach party is not to be missed either. If you love dancing you'll be in the right place.
Well we love to dance Salsa and bachata etc...and go to a real dominican club in Puerto plata called...La Canita...its free to get in... drinks are very cheap and the locals really welcome you in. Arrive any time from 10.00pm everyone there from the door staff to the waitresses are so friendly and to see them all dance is amazing.. and you just join in... it very loud and has a great atmosphere. Its an open air place as in not a closed in Disco...but we love it. Friday and saturday are the best nights to go. Two other places to consider is ORION and LA BARRICA.

Angie.
Dear Shirley H,
You made my day!!!!!!!!!!!! Thankyou.
Thanks Angie. All this info is terrific. We were worried that we would be bored to death.
Hmmm going to Rui Mambo on 13th September and just had a letter through from Thomson telling us that the optics will no longer be in the rooms. really liked that bit !!!! :(

Sue
We are going in November and had the same letter from Thomsons. I wonder if it is for all or just Thomson clients ?
Myself an girlfriend just got back from here,it was our third visit as we loved it so much but a word of warning BEWARE,things have definetately changed here,hundreds and i do mean hundreds of locals are now let in friday to monday to fill the place up.There are now only 2 flights a week from europe so they need to keep the place running.The locals take over the place,very intimidating,groups of young men and women not just couples now take over the pools.You have to wait to get into restaurant and queue for your food with these people who dont bother to wait and take the buffet food with there fingers.NIGHTMARE AT WEEKENDS.If your thinking of going here,look elsewhere,if you havealreadybooked just be warned,we wish we had been.We still had a good time during mid week but we didnt pay for just mid week.We wont be back unless this goes back to how it was.
oh dear- that doesn't sound as if it were much fun over the weekends. Thanks for the feedback as that is definitely worth knowing and welcome to HT :) If you can spare a couple of minutes it would be great if you could add a review here :)
Blimey Steve that is worrying, this will be our third time this September AND we have booked for March 2011 as well because we like it there so much.

Does the hotel do anything to help if the situation is really bad ?

Sue
Ahhhhh, just had a thought, do you think because the hotel is manic at the weekends that is why the optics have been taken out.

Sue
Hi Sue,

No I dont think the optics are being taken out due to the weekends being manic with locals, I think its a cost cutting action for the resort as from the start of the winter season 2010 when this is going to be implimented, in addition, the room safe and any drinks consumed in the discotheque will be payable locally as well.

The resort is very low in occupancy so that is why they have so many rooms to fill, so the majority of the guests are now the locals that can afford the weekend away with their families from the cities. This is spoiling the reputation of the Riu resort and by word of mouth and the internet bookings are going to stay low as guests do not want to tolerate all that distruption.

Angie.
Nice to speak to you again Angie

Thinking about it , Tomson also mentioned in the same letter that we would have to pay for the safe now, so makes sense what you are saying.

I hope its ok when we go in Sept because we do really like it there, if it really is terrible I will get in tounch with Thomson and see about going somewhere different in March.
:(

Sue
We spoke to the thomas cook rep and restaurant management about the situation,both said they could do nothing about the situation as the hotel was only 30% full during the week and the chain needed to make money or close the hotel.We do understand this but they let far to many locals in for comfort and for those that enjoy the pool forget the weekends,we were lucky because we use the beach.Thomas Cook have been no help at all and there was no feedback forms on the plane on the way home,surprise,surprise.Also italian and steak house are now open seperately and on alternate nights,only six tables bookable on the night we went,so no atmosphere either.Very let down by the whole situation as this was our 3rd time there.We are just warning others before they go as we know travel agents will not tell you this,because we were not told.
We had a great holiday at the Merangue a few years ago and I always look at the photos and reviews on TA.
The latest ones are reporting the chaos that reigns at weekends and the place now sound like a candidate for a holiday from hell. :yikes Its a shame as they are lovely hotels.
this is interesting reading.

We stayed several years ago in the Bachata. Have to say that once was enough and we would never choose to return to this resort from that experience.

Hope things go ok on your trips later in the year!
Karen_uk wrote:
this is interesting reading.
We stayed several years ago in the Bachata. Have to say that once was enough and we would never choose to return to this resort from that experience.
Hope things go ok on your trips later in the year!

Like you we visited this place a few years ago (well 6 years) and had such a bad experience we have ruled out the Dom Rep completely especially the general strike where we were under armed guard in the hotel as well as on the trips - - - from what we saw "friendly" did not relate to the island at all

Which was a shame as the place is a paradise to look at
Have to say that we stayed at the Merengue March 09 and again this year in March and it was really lovely, hence why we booked again for this September.

Not going until the 13th but fingers crossed it wil be ok, will definately post what we think when we come back.

Sue
We too visited the Bachata for our son's wedding five years ago (forced me to desert my perfect holiday destination of Cyprus). Never again. The island looks a paradise but it is only when you get there you realise how impoverished it is and not at all welcoming. Granted the Bachata was a decent place and the staff were lovely but there was nothing that would make us ever want to return.
Well just got back from the Mambo on Monday and am pleased to report holiday was lovely.

Locals were a bit over powering in the restaurants but only by the fact that there were so many of them!! As for their behaviour etc didnt encounter any problems at all, in fact most of the children were very polite and well mannered. Like us all I suppose good and bad in all.

The other good new is that the optics were still in the room and yes we will be going back in March 11.

Sue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.