Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Moved from Africa forum to Tunisia forum.

luci :wave
Hi Rob,

Topless sunbathing does happen on beaches and around the hotel pools in the popular tourist areas in Tunisia (especially PEK). Though it would be respectful to cover up if approached by staff/locals when sunbathing minus a bikini top, they're quite used to it and female tourists are not carted off by the police or given warnings etc. If anything, it's more important to cover up when walking around the resorts, when in cafes/restaurants etc. I'm flabbergasted when women walk around the marina etc. in just a bikini, which to me is unnecessary and extremely disrespectful (not to mention unnattractive in the majority of cases ;) enough to put you off your food....!) As for cigarettes, you'd be wise to buy them in duty free as those that are sold in the resorts are more often than not fakes, there are local cigarettes (mars) which are cheap, but I guess you'd have to try them first to see if they're to your taste. Similarly, spirits are phenomenally expensive in both the bars and supermarkets in Tunisia (whisky, vodka etc.) so bring it with you. The local beer, Celtia is pretty cheap (though weak)and some locally produced wines are nice too. Be aware that when you order beers in cafes particularly that it's non-alcoholic (though not sold as such!). The Royal Kenz is a lovely hotel, so I'm sure you'll have a lovely time (though you'll be absolutely baking in August :tongue so take loads of suncream (again, expensive in Tunisia) - pop across the road to the Terrasse Cafe for good snacks/coffee/cakes. :)
That's great advice, thanks very much Zahra. :)
Hello Rob
Have stayed @ Royal Kenz a few times now. You definately need to wear long trousers in the dining room, people were turned away when we were there even for wearing three-quarter length trousers but I don't think you need to wear a shirt. It will be really hot in august so take lots of sunscreen :tongue The hotel itself is lovely. Hope you have a good time :D
Cigarettes - the local Mars are cheap and cheerful but I smoke Royales out there as they are very similar to Superkings which I smoke in the UK and about 2.270 per packet (just over £1). They do 'normale' same as our full stength and Menthol (both long) and a smaller 'light' which I haven't tried. Avoid buying from the boys on the beach etc. as they are usually fake but those from the kiosks etc. are absolutely fine. Some of their wine is very good, particularly the Magon if you like red. In the hotels it's about 15-20 dinars a bottle, though much cheaper in the supermarkets. If you fancy a liqueur, you might like to try cedratine, which is based on lemons and absolutely delicious. Boukha and Thibarine are based on figs and I personally hate them, though I suppose it's an acquired taste. :lol:
Are you allocated the same table for breakfast as for dinner,also if your on half board,ie breakfast and dinner,can you swap dinner for lunch.
Hi crispy...we've just returned from Royal Kenz .you get allocated the same table for the duration of your stay. Also you are allocated a time to eat and the table may be allocated to others at specified times, which may result in you having to dine with others at the same table, if the times aren't kept to.
can anone help going to royal kenz nextyear and would like a rough idea of what things cost like a glass of wine beer and vodka and coke have only ever been al in tunisia before so have no idea of prices what about cost of lunch in hotel and out and about? is it as good as the tour operator has told us?
We are going to this hotel next week,how much can we expect to pay for a taxi to Sousse from this Hotel,does the noddy train go from here to Sousse,or do we have to go by the marina for this.
we went in august and the noddy train departed from near the funfair it cost about 2.5 dinar each.we also used the tuk-tuk for about the same price,and the taxi was competative.
Cold anyone please tell me what the dress code is
when using the dining rooms and restaurants
Smart,casual,although some people did dress up more for an intimate meal in the 2 alacarte restaurants.
My Wife and I have stayed in the Royal Kenz Hotel a number of times and have no complaints.

The Hotel caters for holiday makers aged 16 and above, to be honest every time we go the average age must be about 50.

An excellent hotel.

We now hear that extensive renovations are now taking place, causing some disterbance.

Has anyone any knowledge of this, we travel out in two weeks.

First Choice who we are traveling with are of no help, all we get is the run around from their Customer Service and an email saying that minor disturbace may happen, what is minor disurbance I ask.

My wife and I are only going for a week but we need a good rest.

Thank you anyone for any assistance.

Adrian & Norma :)
Yes here is renovation work going on at the Royal Kenz , people that i know were there last week
i dont know how long the work will be going on for though. Maybe you should try and contact First Choice and see what your options are . Have a look in the Holiday Complaints section as somebody else is in the same position as you
Look at the topic by caskew20,"Is it possible to change hotels"? as the OP was going to the Royal Kenz with First Choice and after hearing about the building work have finally managed to change their holiday.Perhaps if you send them a pm they will give you details.
They have now started building a new spa,and have just started on the foundations,if you stand facing the front of the hotel,it is being built on waste land to the right,indoor pool side.I stayed in this hotel last October and the land was being cleared ready for this then.The tour operators have been taking bookings for months and must have known all this was going to happen,they dont clear the land with bulldozers for nothing!!.
My partner and I are booked to stay at the Royal Kenz for a well earned rest but after reading lots of negative reviews on different travel websites I am now dreading it. This will be my first holiday in 3 years.
We booked a superior room through Thomas Cook and due to check in on Sunday 22nd, has anyone stayed in the past week to supply an update of the hotel and it's 'renovation' works?

thanks in advance
Jewels :really
When did you book your holiday, did your travel agent make you aware that there were renovations going on . As its so close to departure i'm not sure if you have any options open to you other than to go and have a good time . The people that i am friendly with returned recently and said that the renovations didn't bother them as they only used it as a base . But its worth having a chat with TA or TO , as i personally think they should have told you what was going on .
Thanx Llindy,
my partner booked it and as you say we will have to make the most of our stay.
Our holiday confirmation stated there was minor work going on but unlikely to spoil the holiday. Now I'm not so sure after reading no end of negative comments.
Jewels :really
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.