Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Re: russians
45 Posts
We stayed at the Nasri 2 yrs ago and it was horrendous. At breakfast the older ones would take as much food as they could carry with total disregard for anyone else, it seems please and thank you are words that don't exist in the Russian language. Early hours of a morning (4-5am) the racket the younger ones made on their way back to the rooms was unreal doors slamming, impromtu parties on balconies was a nightly occurrence. Got back last week after a week in Sharm and there was plenty of ignorant Russians there, and just like Goa the locals hate them as much as the Goans.......Keith
A Goan friend of ours who owns a shack up at Morgim told us this happened to a shack owning friend of hers....
A dozen or so Russians were in her shack all day, eating and drinking....when the evening was over for them, they got up to leave....the shack owner called them back and produced the rather large bill for them to pay.
The "leaded" pointed out that they were "All Inclusive"....they refused to pay and they all left leaving the owners with a large hole in their pockets. :que :que
We first encountered our Russian friends on a holiday in Sharm. It was an all inclusive resort. They use to get the barman to fill up empty lite bottles of water with vodka and sat drinking around the pool all day. Quite a few older men with young ladies who turned out to be prostitutes. At feeding time they just barged in front of you and snarled if you said anything. Have seen them in Goa refusing to pay bill and also walking away from shacks. I have met a few nice ones as well but sadly few and far between. I don't think they all mean to be loud and aggressive. The Russian language may just sound that way. I would ban the males but keep the females! We were told by one of the staff at the hotel we always stay in that they do not allow Russians in the hotel. So at least I should be safe in Feb lol!
Many of them seem to have a bit of a problem relating to other people... (A 'culture' issue as mentioned in a previous post with insight comments from a Russian woman).

Went on an excursion where there were four Russian girls. Three who were travelling together would not speak to the rest of us. The fourth, who was travelling alone, stayed tight-lipped throughout the day. She refused to speak to anyone and her face was constantly like she'd been sucking a sour lemon... :-(((((((

There does seem to be a 'cultural' issue with some of them.

In contrast, in the south, those there were (relatively) laid-back. Probably being older or families, with children. No behaviour problems at all, as far as could be observed.

In contrast, in the north, behaviour was dreadful. In 2010, a taxi driver told the story of one of his colleagues who was beaten to death by some Russians who decided, after the ride, that they didn't want to pay the fare. A fight ensued and the guy was beaten to death (this was in Aswem).

When asking a local taxi driver if the increase in tourism from Russians would be good business, he replied that all the traders in Goa he knew would prefer to do without it to avoid the trouble from these people.

(He said nothing about Russians 'having two heads' or any other silly remarks like those previously mentioned in this forum, alleging 'racism')
I wonder if ANY of the Russian tourists are so really unsophisticated as to believe that "all inclusive" actually means everything, everywhere.
The Russians we met in Hurghada were young folk but were lovely compared to others I have met.
They were from Georgia so maybe there is a difference depending on where they are from :que
My friend has an apartment in Bulgaria but is now going to sell it as the rest of apartments belong to people from Moscow.She said they have spoilt the peace and quiet and literally take over the whole complex during the summer months.
I personally cant stand the way they remove as much food as possible from the buffet and stockpile it on their tables only to leave it,mostly on the floor. :yikes
I actually saw a Russian bloke remove a strawberry from a dessert a young English boy was taking back to his table.Unfortunately he didnt count on the boys 6ft 5in Dad who pursued him.
I really would rather stay at home than spend time in a hotel that had reviews of this behaviour.
Thank goodness we can now read the reviews of hotels before we go. :tup
Thank goodness we can now read the reviews of hotels before we go.

totally agree, as long as people keep posting them :)
del949 wrote:

and if you post the reviews now, you might win an ipad :D
Our first time in Goa was one October pre the first charter from the UK. There were Russians around us on the beach and they were quiet and polite. No bother. But my OH found a lot of Russians in a ski resort he was in and he said you could easily feel intimidated. ( and nobody intimidates him!)
I dont know why there are problems. But then the Brits have been a nightmare in some areas in Europe. As said already- best to read reviews before booking
Fiona wrote:
del949 wrote:

and if you post the reviews now, you might win an ipod :D
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/win-new-ipod-touch-for-christmas-t157395.html
Our first time in Goa was one October pre the first charter from the UK. There were Russians around us on the beach and they were quiet and polite. No bother. But my OH found a lot of Russians in a ski resort he was in and he said you could easily feel intimidated. ( and nobody intimidates him!)
I dont know why there are problems. But then the Brits have been a nightmare in some areas in Europe. As said already- best to read reviews before booking
I have been a member of HT for almost 10 years but now find the review section poor.
Previously I used to look at the resort I wanted to go to and it was easy to see all the accommodation in that resort and could see which hotels were rated highest.
I am sorry to say I use another website that also shows photos on the property.
I think they are relatively new to tourism and as with all countries there are bad and good. I have seen some awful behaviour from my fellow Brits in many countries.

The Goans say they dont like them but are they being completely honest?

Anyway its nice to see the discussion being allowed on HT. The very mention of the R word on TA is enough for the mods to close the topic.

Well done HT for letting it run.

For me I agree with another view. Let as many of the women in as you want. Very pleasing on the eye.
I was going to ask the same thing as Del. Do they actually believe that All Inclusive means the WHOLE country, and not just the hotel?????????
Mobor One wrote:
I was going to ask the same thing as Del. Do they actually believe that All Inclusive means the WHOLE country, and not just the hotel?????????

Not sure if they do but I do remember a few years ago when AI was becoming more popular in European hotels and airlines were starting to charge for meals getting into an argument with an English man who insisted he didn't have to pay for a meal on the plane because he was going on an AI holiday. I forgot to ask him after he returned what happened but am guessing he went hungry on the flight.
I confess that when my daughter told me that when she went on her last AI holiday (a package one) i was surprised that the airline meal wasn't included.
i had thought that on a package AI , from getting on the plane to go up to getting off the plane on arriving back everything was included in between (hotel and flights etc only).
I know now after reading the brochures that this isn't the case.
Jay Trip wrote:
I have been a member of HT for almost 10 years but now find the review section poor.
Previously I used to look at the resort I wanted to go to and it was easy to see all the accommodation in that resort and could see which hotels were rated highest.
I am sorry to say I use another website that also shows photos on the property.

:offtop

Holiday Truths has NEVER listed accommodations by resort, ever. You viewed a whole region in one long spammy list. i.e. you look at Mallorca and you get a list of every single hotel in Mallorca, same for Egypt, Turkey etc. Resort pages in the fashion we have them now simply, did not exist. People may not like them, but part of the reason that HT visitors were declining was due to the changes Google made to penalise sites that linked to their content in that dated fashion.

We had thought about offering members the ability to view 'an old style list', however it’s not a priority at the moment.

We are currently developing the reviews section to accept your pictures to go alongside your reviews when you submit them.

Chris

We are currently developing the reviews section to accept your pictures to go alongside your reviews when you submit them.

Chris

Members have been after this feature for a while, me included so big :tup
Just got back from N Goa, the Indian Government is clearly short sighted us Brits now pay around £82 double what we paid last year while the Russians pay around £18 entry at the point of entry as I understand it. I have been going for years and this year I saw several incidents involving Russians and I had one of my own -
Imagine you are on a beach and have been allocated a sun bed, 100Rs. You are given a number so when you have a drink or food you just tell them the number and pay at the end of the day, yes I know you don't always have to pay for the beds. We had been on the beach for a few hours, had eaten and had a few drinks but were sober, 1 Kingfisher and lots of fizzles. We decide to go for a short walk along the beach and came back about 25 minutes later. When we returned the two sunbeds we had were occupied by two Russians who were laying on our towels having also moved a beach bag which was under the beds originally but now fully exposed on the beach. I asked them to move with no response, they just carried on talking to each other as though I didn't exist.

I went to the shack owner complained and he did nothing, they together with their mates had had a large lunch and obviously spent more than we had. I told the shack owner I would not pay for the beds and would never come back, he spoke to the waiter and disappeared. I got the bill which included the beds I refused to pay or leave a tip, I just paid for the food. He explained they couldn't keep an eye on the beds, I pointed out they could knew what drinks etc. were ordered at any bed or the bar, he was talking rubbish as far as I was concerned and the shack owner just carried on hiding.

I can't think of anything more rude and ignorant than this typical Russian behaviour. It's a shame because over the years I have been going to Goa I have seen many changes there is no doubt they are killing the Golden Egg, I heard several stories of bills not being paid and cab fares avoided all by Russians.
Give Goa a miss it's not the place it was and shame on the Indian authorities!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.