Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
More information here:-

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?c=setreg®ion=2&m_id=nbm_rnd&w_id=33021&news_id=2026671

What are you thoughts? Do you think infants should be eligible for compensation?

Courtesy of Travelmole
I can sort of understand ryanairs stance in that they haven't sold a seat to an infant just an admin fee of £20 , but their response and the defence they made are absurd . They compared a 6 month infant as " being the same " as a bag of golf clubs !! And what does the fare paid have to do with the compensation due under eu261 law ? They can adjust their fares they offer to cover for paying out 261 in certain circumstances , they could make clear that from now on that an infant fee will be increased because a ruling has been made that they have the same rights to EU261 comp for delays . I get that Ryanair ( and other airlines ) don't like paying out compensation and rulings from judges but to say that this family has got x4 times more in compensation than the fare they paid so they shouldn't pay out for a 6 month old and make no mention of a 9 hour delay they all suffered is not being balanced about the whole scenario . They ( Ryanair ) say " always getting better " I'm left thinking " a leopard can't change its spots "
Simple answer is everyone pays for a seat the amount of compensation against actual cost is a separate matter, EU 261 lays down the compensation due but it fails to state "Fare Paying Passengers Only" hence being able to claim for the child and getting the court to agree.
The EU261 refers to "passengers" & "tickets" so anyone who is a passenger (they all are) with a ticket (they all have to have one ) is entitled to compensation.

Ryanair do have full fare flights at less than £20 & not many will cost €400pp so they would be out of pocket regardless. 😉
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.