Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
sahara trip
97 Posts
Our trip was with Saphir Voyages. Although we booked through our rep, they had an office in Yasmine Hammamet, so maybe you could book direct there?
If you speak to a rep at your hotel they can usually arrange it on your behalf via Saphir Voyage.

Its deffinatly worth doing... my only advice, dont go into the carpet factory! Take an independant 15min walk around the town... not much to see there but if your not interested in buying a carpet then what have you got to lose?
I was just wondering about when would be the best time to do the Sahara 2-day trip. I'm planning to stay in Hammamet during the second week of October and I'm getting conflicting information about the weather. Is it freezing cold, cool, warm or sizzling hot?

Thanks in advance!
A couple of years ago I went out to Matmata in November and it was really hot. The weather can be changeable but it should be very nice in October. Have a great time.
We did the Sahara trip in mid Sept. It gets hotter the nearer you get to the Sahara. It was pretty hot while we were there, but not unbearable. It rained when we got to Kairouan though and was a bit chilly, but only in comparison from the heat that we had just come from.
Does the 2 day trip include the star wars locations?
We went to the 'Hotel Sidi Bou Driss' where part of Star Wars was filmed, but it wasn't really much to look at. My boyfriend is a SW fan and he didn't recognise which bit of the film it was from. I think you can do longer trips that take you to more of the areas where SW and other movies were filmed.
My first post!! I have today booked a holiday in Tunisia, and this trip is part of it. The safari is a three day one, first day El Jem, Matmata and Douz, overnight in Douz, second day on to Chott El Jerid and then to Tozeur with the afternoon free, overnight in Tozeur. Third day by 4x4 to Chebika, Tamerza, Mides and then on to Kairouan. Hopefully by taking three days, I won't feel quite so tired!!! Then on to the beach for six days!! My holiday starts on 7th April, can't wait!!

Thanks for all the great tips!!
Do you think it is worth doing the Sahara trip if we are only going for a week?

Thanks

Helen
If you really want to explore Tunisia it may be worth it as it is extremely interesting, though I have only done it privately by car with Tunisian friends. If you only have a week though it won't give you much chance for other things, such as chilling out. I think it is probably best fitted into a fortnight's holiday.
We did the trip when we were in Tunisia for a week in September. We don't like going to the same places more than once on holiday, so we decided that we should do as much as possible in that week, in case we never went back again. We were really glad that we did it, but it was knackering - up at 5:30ish the first day, 4ish the second and then the day after that we went home! There were departures on a various different days each week - we decided to leave it as late as possible in the week to go so that it wouldn't impact on the rest of the time we had there.
Thanks for the replies. I'm not too bothered about chillin as I prefer to be active and do things.

I think I will take the plunge and do it as I might not go back again.
Quick Q for you guys :)
We are spending 3 nights in hotel Kanta then doing the 4 day Sahara trip and our last night is spent in a different hotel - Skanes El Hana Hotel.

We don't plan to be in very much so the conditions of the hotels don't really bother us but one thing that concerns me is our luggage. If I was to take a suit case then what do I do with it when we do our Sahara trip? Is it advisable to go with only a holdall carrying the bare min so that we can pack up and go on our travels with ease? Or do they provide you with storage facilities, somewhere to put your case till you return? If so what will happen when we change hotels?

I am all confused ~! any help/advise would be appreciate.

:lol:
Hi foxylady

Iwent on the 2 day sahara trip last year and people took suitcases they were kept on the coach which is locked up when coach driver is not on very safe you take it with you to the hotels your staying at.

Manerix :)
I have a dilemma.... I would love to do the trip to Sahara, reading here I am not worried about the travelling for myself but..... My hubby says no way is he doing it.... I have 2 kids with me 12 & 8 ..I know they will love the 'IDEA' of going but I don't think they will handle the travelling well.... and a lot of the sites may be boring to them......SO .do I leave hubby with kids for 2 days & go alone? Or do I take kids & hope they can cope with the travel & tiredness... Or do I just chill at pool instead??
:shock: :?
I went on the trip alone as our 3 children get a bit travel sick so they stayed in our hotel in skanes with the wife while i did the 2 day trip. If your kids travel ok and you can provide them with things to do on the coach i would take them. their are some wonderful sites and the camel ride was brill. it does get a bit much when your travelling for an hour or two with the odd 15 min stop and one or two of the things to see arent up to much, we were rushed round the ampitheatre (45 mins) the star wars site wasnt much to shout about (and Im a fan). also we didnt see the holy temples at last stop, we were just rushed round a cold sell rug shop. So think hard about whether to take kids, but do it yourself definetly, you will make friends on the coach and the sites of the sahara are breathtaking. hope you enjoy it.
Thank you Ianno.. I will give it some serious thinking.
We have just returned from doing the 4 day trip and what a trip it was we both loved every minute of it. You do visit more Star Wars Sites on the 4 day trip than you do on the 2. Its also not as rushed as the 2 day trip with plenty of breaks in between. All early morning starts up anytime between 4.30am and 6am depending on whee you are travelling to next.

We are huge SW fans and the sites brought tears to our eyes, you just have to use a bit of imagination as these sites are 30 years old and put up with all weather conditions so its no wonder they are starting to look a bit scabby as they are not maintained.
At least 2 trips that we did on the 4 day that doesn't happen on the 2 day is the visit to Mos Esley Space Port & the Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade train journey (red lizard).

The whole trip was fantastic and we had a brilliant guide which makes all the difference.

The trip is definitley not for the weak minded or the weak stomach !! the further south you go the worse the food and fly situation becomes.

Overall, I would highly recommend doing this trip it was fabulous! Just op en your mind a little and try and think beyond the uk !! :lol:
hi
does anyone know if you can go on a one day trip to the sahara and if so what can you tell us about it?
: [/b]
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.