UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
We will be going back to UK to visit my parents in a couple of months time and will be staying in Blackpool as it's the closest place to their house where there is something going on of an evening. My parents don't go out at night time so we will be left to our own devices.

However, I think when we are there - it's unlikely that any of these event will still be running :(

We booked 6 nights at the Norbreck Castle hotel and now, I'm dreading it after reading some of the reviews during August. Just hoping things will calm down and thinking perhaps they couldn't cope with the influx at the height of summer. I wouldn't mind for a couple of nights but when you're there for almost a week, it doesn't sound like fun!

We had to pay in advance to get a decent rate (£270 for B+B for 6 nights) otherwise it was another £70 to pay on arrival. Top that with easyJet return flights from Cyprus, an overnight stay in the airport hotel at John Lennon and the return train fare from Liverpool to Blackpool, it's working out more expensive than our week on B+B in a hotel in Malta plus flight from Cyprus with Emirates :que
Cy, your best bet with Britannia Hotels is to leave your booking until the week before you are due home. They have some good deals on EVERY week, except half term. You can get B&B for about £39 per room per night.

Next time, get your parents to meet you in Malta, it's a lot warmer. ;)
My parents (well, my Dad) cannot travel any longer as he's sick - hence our journey back to UK in the winter time. My parents live on the opposite side of the river across from Fleetwood ferry and it's rather too quiet for us plus there aren't any hotels nearby.

Malta first - then Blackpool a month or so later. Last year we stayed in a guest house on Dickson Road which cost us 220 GBP for 5 nights B+B so an extra 50 GBP didn't seem that bad as opposed to last year - considering we were also staying an additional night, some kind of entertainment going on, but the reviews have been abysmal.

You confused me with your reply.... couldn't understand why I would want to book my accommodation after I had left Blackpool. Cyprus is "home" to us, well at least for the last 10 and a bit years.

Our last day in December 2013 was in Liverpool as we had to stay overnight due to an early flight back to Cyprus the next morning. This time we arrive late in Liverpool and don't want to face a 3 change train journey to arrive in Blackpool after 02:00 so will stay at the airport hotel again and take a single change after breakfast next morning.

Last visit, we were on the seafront at Blackpool on 5 December when the storm caused havoc at the North Pier. It started off bright and breezy but went from bad to worse as the week went on. Got some photos through the picture link here below.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2816/11269035244_8d3ddf17ef_z.jpg
Off topic and I know I'll be censored for this, but have you noticed a lot of things on the seafront at Blackpool are bent? :D ;) ;)

As you know, the Norbreck is a fair way out of Blackpool, so we stay at the Metropole, which is about a fiver per night dearer, but only a 5 minute stroll to Sands.

Here's a list of events/shows at the Sands through November/December.

Hope all's well with the folks when you return "HOME" to Blighty. :tup
Thanks for the list!

Hmmm, yes definitely things have a bit of a lean, even the people..... let's just hope it's something to do with the weather.

We were close to the Metropole last time and knew we would be further out this year at the Norbreck but it's a bit nearer to my parents, there's a tram stop right outside and we buy the weekly ticket which allows us to use the buses and trams plus the bus stop is just around the corner from my parents house near the ferry. We decided if the weather was as bad as last year at least we can go out to eat and then come back to something going on in the hotel.

Saying that, we spent most nights at Ma Kelly's last year at the top end of Talbot Road (not far from Funny Girls) as that was only a short walk from our accommodation. Just the B+B we stayed at was a let down. The room was a shoe box and not particularly welcoming and the downstairs bar was also the owners' living room where they watched TV so it felt like we were encroaching on their territory. Very friendly people though, the breakfast was great and it was clean.

We arrived late Saturday evening and after Monday morning we were the only guests in the hotel until we left it on Friday after breakfast for our train journey to Liverpool ready for our flight the next morning. We got to spend the day in Liverpool and ate at the Red Hot World Buffet, which was excellent.

This year we won't get any time in Liverpool - only to sleep. We can take the train back from Blackpool after breakfast this time as our flight is at lunchtime rather that at 09:00 like last year. Unless they change the times, of course!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.