Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
I'm going to the Aquahotel Onabrava in Santa Susanna on 26 March also with Siesta.
I have travelled with Siesta 5 times now and they are excellent.
Coaches are spacious with plenty of leg room. Siesta staff have always been very helpful. I have never had a bad word to say about Siesta and would recommend them to anyone wanting to travel by coach. There is food and drinks served on the coach and there is videos to pass the time.
I have never been to Santa Susanna before or even to Spain at this time of year so am unsure what the weather will be like.
Have you travelled by coach before to Spain?
Hi Bex

Thanx for the reply. Its great to find out that Siesta have an excellent reputation. I have travelled by coach to Spain 15 years ago with Coach Europe who dont exsist anymore and it was a long journey I can tell you but that doesnt really bother me.

The coaches that Siesta have look miles better then the Coach i went on all them years back. I'm really looking forward to this holiday. The hotel looks superb.

Take care and lets both hope for a good holiday there

Jeff :)
When I travel with Siesta I normally take a sleeping bag or blanket to put over me as sometimes it can be a little cold on the bus.
I hope you have a really great time and you can let me know when you get back what the hotel is like etc.
Will do bex & thanx for the sleeping bag tip.

Take care :)
Another tip.

If your staying in Caravans normally sheets are not provided. Pack cotton duvet covers (especially for children) as these act as a cotton sleeping bags saving on packing space (ie instead of taking a top and bottom sheet) Plus if you need to wash them out you are just washing 1 item.
thanks for that Glynis :)
Just returned from Aquarmarina Hotel sanrta Susanna, lovely hotel great resort pitty about the food, breakfast was good but evening meal a nightmare, i am a pretty fussy eater like plain english food , my husband on the other hand will eat anything and try anything, so when he said it was bad i knew it was, he actually got food poisoning and was in bed for 24 hours, food was cold and undercooked, i lived on soup and melon for 2 weeks, we tried to find somewhere decent to eat but there was nowhere all food was the same, what a difference the day we went to tossa de mar and saw the restraunts there what a difference, we liked it that much we are considering going there next year
Sorry to here about the food at the hotel Rosie, we stayed at the Ona Brava and it was brill.

Have to agree about Tossa though, is it good or what?

Rob 8)
how far is Tossa de Mar from Santa Susanna is there a good bus/train service?
Looking at going to Santa Susanna, to the Royal Sun Hotel All Inclusive, has anyone been, can they let me know what its like? Also, what is Santa Sussana like, how quiet etc, is it easy to get around, suitable for couple?

Thanks
Santa Susanna is a very quiet resort, in fact it is so quiet that we were bored stiff! A local bus runs from the western end of santa Susanna to Malgrat, and the train runs all along the coast so you can get to resorts such as Blanes, Tossa and Calella easily and cheaply. Pineda is the next stop westwards and has a lot more to offer. About an hour to Barcelona. the Royal Sun is an excellent hotel, right on the beach.
6 Weeks till we go does anybody know if there is any fiestas or anything on at Easter time in Santa Susanna/Malgrat.
we have just booked a late deal going here i have read the VERY mixed reviews on the hotels section, i also understand it featured on tv holidays from hell has anybody been recently to give an opinion how long ago was it on tv and why. we got a good deal so i am not expecting 5x luxury as long its clean and the sun is shinning for a weak that'll do us
Hi,

I do not have any knowledge of the hotel in question, but Santa Susanna is a very nice place- there is plenty of bars and restaurants without it being a 'lager lout' trap; a nice beach and in easy reach of other towns if you wish to go sight seeing.

Sometimes I speak to individual tourists here in lloret de mar who may be staying at the same hotel during the same week, and the opinions of the place could not be more different if they had tried!

Holidays can be what you make them - if you look for the bad you will find it, and the same goes if you look for the good.

Hope it's a good one!
Debbie
We are a couple on our first anniversary and a birthday (wife's), too. We were a little concerned at the lack of reviews on this accommodation and had to rely on what little there was including a hotel owned website. Don't be fooled by the website, it looks worse than it is in the photos.

Firstly we booked through fleetway travel via the internet and although the price seemed fine - we did find it had lots of hidden problems and the worst being it was Ryan Air carrying us, NEVER again. Never having flown with them before we were prepared to give it a go despite not knowing who the carrier was to be until the documents arrived 10 days after booking. The hidden extras were lack of baggage allowance - we were 6kg over (we are used to having 20kg each not 15kg) that cost us close to £30. Ended up leaving stuff on the return journey to avoid the excess baggage charges Ryan air are keen on charging. We did opt for the taxi transfer rather than coach transfer but it wasn't quite as cheap as was quoted by the travel agent - however we did learn through experience that the best option when travelling by taxi was to get the "non airport" taxi services - ie go past the white ones and opt for the private hires further up the line of cars. It should cost less than 40 euros (for the 35km journey) but the airport ones charge a fixed fee of 50 euros. The return journey was also done by private taxi and was correct.

As far as Ryan Air is concerned we did fine the ticket less airline to be a farce as we were at the end of the queue for nearly 2 hrs despite being there an hour earlier than required. And if you are unlucky to be over the allowances you have to go and pay at a separate desk and then rejoin the queue. Further when we did get to go to boarding we were sent to the wrong gate as they had changed it without telling anyone. No seats allocated either so it's an "it's a knockout" style "free for all"
Very expensive food on board too £15 for two baguettes and two drinks. Take your own is our advice.
On arrival at Girona airport the fleetway rep was precious little help - and all we wanted to know was where we went for the taxis.!!!!!!

On to the accommodation "The Amaraigua Hotel" formerly known as the Santa Susanna Hotel - supposedly three star but doubt it. First of all I must say that the Spanish Management team here are at best abysmal. Most do not understand English which I find very strange considering that this hotel is primarily for British guests.
They showed a distinct lack of concern over major health and safety matters especially during the instances of "accidents" here. In less than 7 days we witnessed one head injury requiring 8 stitches, one severely lacerated ankle (down to the bone) due to a dodgy drain cover, one fatal heart attack, one young child sucked into the Jacuzzi filtrations system, and a gashed wrist. All without exception met with derision and lack of concern by Spanish management. The first aid kit such as it was a disgrace - under lock and key and never available, no operational first aiders - no-one - not even the lady who tragically lost her husband was allowed to use the hotel phone and worse still the reception was asked to call the ambulance or a doctor when the heart attack was at the chest pain stage - it never happened - and 45 minutes later on enquiring about it more lack of interest - tragically that poor man died but it is felt had the phone call been made when asked he could have been alive today. DISGRACEFUL. They should be ashamed.

Putting that aside - if you haven't already decided not to go here - the room we had was great small, but comfortable - a great sea and beach view - the best room in the hotel - ROOM 214. . Bathroom small, small bath with shower - so if you like baths don't go here. Hot water is a bit hit n miss too. Air conditioning brilliant. Some rooms are infested with ants, our room floor wasn't swept or mopped for three days despite complaints, similarly the basin and toilet weren't cleaned either and toilet rolls ,must be in short supply. If you are travelling with a family opt for a family room as many rooms are very small - some people couldn't get into bathroom or onto balcony or terrace without moving furniture. If you have teenagers don't go here either - they will be bored silly within 48 hours. The All Inclusive option was ok but have had better - always plenty of variety, but chips every day - we only had one other potato option in 7 days. The Spanish could learn a thing or two from the Tunisians and Turkish. Drinks although plentiful and good measures are served in plastic cups ---- prefer glasses - I can understand around the pool but indoors and the communal entertainment area at night NO. The entertainment for adults at night is poor - we went out most nights - the mini-disco for kids is Ok and they seemed to enjoy it - the three girls who entertain have a very hard job to satisfy all but could be much better given more to work with. My impression about this hotel is that it is run with a very tight budget to the detriment of its customers. You cannot get a coffee before 8am when the restaurant opens for breakfast and the bar shuts at 1130pm without fail. Snacks aren't available after 6pm. Don't be fooled by the Parrot show either - what show!!!!! An opportunity for the Spanish to con you out of 10 euros for a photo taken without seeing it first"¦"¦!

Its only redeeming feature in my opinion is its location literally on the beach - no roads to cross, very close to the best range of bars some 4-5 English ones - The Robin Hood and Rovers Return very good and always lively. The Black Bull is quieter - the Legends pub is good too and all serve Stella, John Smiths and Fosters. All do breakfasts and good food. All very congenial as well. Along the front are the shops and usual tut type tourist goods.

Its about an hour to Barcelona from Malgrat railway station (about 15mins walk form hotel) and costs 5.70 euros return and takes you right to Playa de Catalunya - the heart of Barcelona and only a hop skip and a jump to La Rambla with street entertainers and fine cafe bars and restaurants. At the end of this is the port area - A very fine city and worth a days visit. Marineland is apparently very good too if the kids like the water and you get good weather.

The weather was brilliant about 28 degrees on average fine and sunny with only one day of cloud, but still very warm.

Overall my advice Go to Spain by all means - Go to Costa Brava too just pay the extra and get some quality, don't travel Fleetway, don't travel Ryan air, don't go to this hotel.

We made the best of it and had great fun with Nick and Bekka, Lorriane and Ian, so cheers guys hope we keep in touch
i dont think the santa sussana used to be the amarragua as were offered both with the amarragua in Malgrat de mar the santa sussana is featured in the cosmos brochure, the building is very Scandavanian looking and as far as i know does not have its own website, but as i said as long its clean and the sun shines we're happy. we are not booked with fleetway but are with ryanair i am aware of the hold baggage allowance but we are travelling light as this an extra weeks holiday and not planning on doing much but i believe the hand luggage weight allowance is higher at 10kilo, we will take our own packed lunch with us, it is only a short flight, it has got some mixed views under the airlines thread. we have pre booked the transfers we were told this is cheaper when only the two uf us.
has anybody been this year that could shed some light on the hotel.
Hi

Been looking for a holiday -- too good options that came up were

Santa Susana Hotel --
and Esplai Hotel, Calella--
Anyone got any info on them?

Or can anyone reccomend a decent relatively cheap hotel /area -- travel agent

Also whats the weather like in October - will either be the beginning or end of the month
and someone said a week in october is half-term down south, when is it exactly?

Thanks

MA./
re hotels -have a look at hotel reviews.
re holidays in october -be aware that some of these hotels/resorts close down in october which could mean a very quiet holiday with bars/restaurants closed.
dont know when 1/2 term is but you can usually get a good idea by looking at tour operators prices and notice the increase for that week or lack of 14 day holidays around the time of resorts closing down.
weather could be good, will be better than uk, but you could end up with lousy weather and nothing much open.
sorry to be so negative but i suffered same problem in tossa a couple of years ago.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.