General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Good heavens :shock: That raises some interesting questions about paying for things in Scotland! Presumably a genuine Bank of Scotland note is more "legal" than a forged note???????

We've had the same problems coming back to England with Jersey or Guernsey notes - people don't want them here!!!
I've never really had a problem changing any Scottish (Bank, Royal Bank & Clydesdale) notes abroad. Certainly in Benidorm there's no trouble. The number of years Scots have been travelling to Spain the exchange kiosks are well used to them by now.
Yep I have the same problem.When I go home to Glasgow for a visit I usualy end up bringing Scottish notes home. Some of the shops here wont take them.Went to buy a bottle of wine and handed over a Scottish tenner.The woman behind the counter said she couldnt take it.Why not I said,it's money,its legal.She snapped she couldnt take it. Well I dont want your wine then and walked out. The next shop accepted it :!: :evil: I have never seen that same woman in the shop and the same shop has since accepted Scottish money :roll:
Oops, sorry!
Here's the link, it's not far down the page.

http://www.rampantscotland.com/letter.htm

I know what you mean niki_tam, I'm sure people in Englandshire don't always know why they can't take it, as can be seen when the same shop will take it on another day. I'm not sure if it's still a real reason not to be able to change it abroad, as our cash obviously has value. Anyway, I'll try and leave that particular chip at home from now on, and besides I've been away to enough places to know by now to take BoE notes to change.

P
I get the same thing niki_tam,
My local newsagents won't accept any Scottish notes unless the manager is there and agrees to take them.
But I can use Scottish notes in the supermarkets here no bother.
And there just isn't any point taking Scottish banknotes to Turkey, if you're lucky you'll find someone who will cash them, but you don't get a good exchange rate at all (if you change a Scottish tenner, you're lucky to get £7 worth of Turkish lira in return).

Elaine
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.