Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Sea Sickness
73 Posts
Thanks mandyc :tup
Kath HT Admin
Where are you sailing Kath? I found that in the Mediterranean aboard Carousel I never experienced any feelings of wobbly ness apart from briefly sailing between 2 islands Sardinia and Corsica coz apparently the currents were stronger than on the open sea. On board Ocean Village earlier this year in Caribbean you could definitely feel your head spinning especially when laying down in bed but nothing serious that made either myself or partner sick. If you are prone I would definitely take advice from GP before but certainly wouldnt worry about it.
Oh dear Paul - it's the Caribbean I am going to! :bawl
Am geting nervous now lol. I am also doing a taster cruise in April for two nights - and I expect that to be rough it's the North Sea!!!

Looks like I will be sleeping through it lol - will have to have the injection. ;)
Kath HT Admin
Please don't get stressed about it Kath. Some people are susceptible, but others aren't. Despite being sick every time it never put hubby off cruising one bit.

We went through the Bay of Biscay in a Force 8, the porthole looked like a washing machine and the cabin would go dark when I wave hit the side. That was the first time we'd tried Stugeron and neither of us was sick. We felt slightly queasy, but just as you would coming off a fairground ride and it didn't last. I won't lie to you as some people really did suffer, but hubby was pleasantly surprised that he wasn't one of them with normally being so sensitive to it.

A lot of seasoned cruisers wear those wristbands which press on your acupressure points to prevent sickness, but we've never tried them.

luci :wave
A lot of seasoned cruisers wear those wristbands which press on your acupressure points to prevent sickness, but we've never tried them.

Ah but can I get 'posh' ones ? :lol:
Thanks Luci :tup
Kath x
A lot of people find ginger works, which is quite handy since it available at all the bars in liquid form.
Ah but can I get 'posh' ones ? :lol:

You could always sew a few sequins on Kath. :wink: :rofl
I remember some of the Americans on the Marco Polo wearing a sticking plaster type thing behind their ear to prevent sea sickness. Now that did look a bit odd on some people.

Never thought of that Windjammer, will have to remember for future reference. :wink:

luci, 12 days to get the seqeins sewn on!!!!!!!! :lol:
Yes we were the wrist bands for all travel air or cruises they are better than pills that leave you with silly head you just have to take two fingers back from your wrist and place the two button right spot and you will be ok if you feel like they are not working just move them small way up or down your arm it makes all the differents
Just got back from 2 weeks Carribean on the Ocean Village. Had one rough night but a lot of the last week was more movement than usual - not rough, but not as still as you normally expect. On the roughest night I felt quite sick but tried to accompany my partner to dinner - one of the waiters told me to eat a bread roll as it would prevent you throwing up, and it seemed to work! So thats my tip! -G.
Hi Kath

I've found that if you go to reception (on board) you can get excellent seasickness tablets, absolutely free - they have a huge supply and don't run out. They tell you when to take them. They really work, in fact though they told me when to take the second tablet I found I didn't need it, the first one lasted till the rough weather passed - many hours later. I've no idea what they're called, but the expertise of all those on board means they get the most effective of everything, including seasickness tablets. In fact, they want you to ask for and take the tablets, as that way you'll have much happier memories of your cruise and you'll want to come back to their ship again.

Hope that helps

Fay
Hi everyone how are you all,most of u probably gearing up for your holidays lol.
Ok here is my dilema i suffer from motion sickness but not on a plane,car,bus,train. more like on a rollercoaster or a helicoptor ride.
i went on a ferry once to ireland and got seasick.
I really want to try a cruise out of southampton maybe the meds or the carribean but im worried i may be ill all through my journey.
Are there meds you have taken that worked or do you guys think i may be ok after a few days. Are there certain ships that are better than others.
im a single guy 35 will i enjoy a criuse just looking at sites it looks great.
ive been learning towards the Royal Carribean or P@o oceana ect.
any help would be appreciated thanx
simon
Highly recommend Stugeron. Always works for me and I used suffer terrible sea sickness.

others also recomend the bands that you wear on your wrists.

Kath HT Admin
anybody reccomend any tablets that work please :?

was sea sick on destiny but going on escape in 2 weeks and think i get some before i go :roll:
Stugeron - available from Boots and other pharmacies.
I'll second Stugeron which is mentioned several times in this topic.

Another one for Stugeron. Don't take the risk and do as I do and take the first one a good 12 hours before the boat leaves and you should have no problems. They work amazingly well.
Can you drink at all with Stugeron? Bit of a shame if AI?? :lol:

I took them when going to Morocco on the Destiny about 5 years ago, and they worked. But I didn't try drinking with them. I left it so late to take them that I ended up taking them then falling asleep!
If I remember correctly you are advised to avoid alcohol when taking Stugeron. This is probably due to their sedating effect which the alcohol would increase.

I had a couple of drinks when taking them and didn't notice too much difference, but then I'm ready for bed by 10.30pm when I'm on a cruise anyway!

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.