Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Sea sickness
73 Posts
I don't fancy crystalised ginger...thought of that makes me feel a bit sick :lol: I don't mind ginger nut biscuits though....I doubt they'd have enough ginger in them though!!
Just a word of caution - I went to buy travel pills today just incase as we are cruising from Southampton tomorrow and I was a bit worried about the Bay of Biscay. We don't usually get travel sick. Before selling them to me the assistant checked with the pharmacist who asked if I had any eye problems - I suffer with Glaucoma and she said absolutely not to take the pills as they can raise the pressure in the eyes.

The only one that I could take was Kwells but I would still need to check with my doctor first.

This surprised me and I was wondering if the question of Glaucoma was raised by staff on the ships who dish them out for free at reception.

Any way hope the bay is kind to us

Supermum
I'm surprised to hear that. I got them in Boots with no questions asked. I don't have glaucoma, but I have had optic neuritis (eye problem) so I'm now a little concerned. I must read the instructions before we go. I wonder how many people would read instructions on them if they were feeling sick anyway?? I know I'd just take the tablet if I felt seasick! Horrible feeling - I doubt I could read!
i used the patches (got from my GP on presciption!!) callled scopaderm (?)

they last three days each and if you ask for them they generally give you 6 (three boxes of 2)

but BEWARE!!! they are very strong, it says not to take with booze...and it means it too! i took them, had a few drinks as you do, and apart from a dry mouth the next morning i needed glasses to read the menu at dinner!!! and i have perfect vision! or did have!!!

they are worth having but only to be used, when you REALLY need them!!
I have always used Stugeron, but never been asked any questions re eye problems. :really
OH help.....
am reading through this topic as we depart on our first cruise tomorrow!

For the last 6 weeks i have faithfully checked the weather for all of our ports of call, never so much as a puffof wind mentioned!
Now, it would seem that for our first two or three days, HIGH WINDS are forecast

:really :really

I'm wrrying myself silly about this now. Had convinced my self that we wouldnt feel seasick at all as this is the Med! But HIGH WINDS....omg, what to do? have been and got the stugeron, but read somewhere on here that they sedate you, don't want to spend my first two or three days in a coma LOL but also dont want to spend it throwing up :cry :cry :cry

Any advice please?
I took them on our first cruise as I wasn't going to risk sea sickness. I took one before we checked in and another before bed that night. I took one more the next morning but didn't bother after that and I was fine. Can't say they knocked me out but you may find you sleep till morning when you don't usually.
Please don't worry Fitzy, most people don't suffer at all. I'm not good with sedatives, but didn't find the Stugeron bad at all. However a couple of drinks can make them even more sedative, but they certainly didn't knock me out.

My hubby used to be sick one night every cruise. Now he just takes the Stugeron on the nights that it is forecast to be a bit rough. Even if you don't hear any announcements, you will know by the sea sickness bags placed strategically over the bannisters on the stairways!

We have twice gone through the Bay of Biscay and one time the porthole resembled a washing machine it was so rough and he was perfectly fine after taking the Stugeron.

I would be delighted if you would post a trip report and/or cruise review when you get back.

luci :wave
Thanks for the reassurance! I feel so much better now!
I will certainly report back on my return, as everyone on here has been so helpful :cheers

Liz xx
I would love to go on the IOTS however i suffer from motion sickness, and i am holding back purely in case i can feel any rockin, is this likely?
thanks
Hi and welcome to HT!

I have merged your post with an existing topic on sea sickness which may have some advice and information.

IOTS is a very large ship and you should not feel much movement. However that will depend where you are sailing and at what time of year. If you read our Cruise Reviews, link at the top of the page, there is a review of certain cabins being more prone to movement.

luci :wave
I didn't have sea sickness as such but for 2 nights on the spirit this year there was a bit of a roll on the ship and I really had to concentrate otherwise i feel i would have been sick. i felt slightly sick but the worse was my head - it was like as if when the ship rolled, my brain rolled too - very weird. felt like was drunk if anything. :( i had the magnetised sickness bands on my wrists but don't know whether they helped to be honest. hubby wasn't affected at all by it. somebody said to me that women are more affected usually because it's all to do with centre of gravity :que
Thanks for all the advice on Stugeron bought them to go on a Far East cruise in Nov
we had a few really bad days but after taking the Stugeron at night we had a good nights
sleep and no sickness :)
ann
I generally think a good helping of G & T seems to help the Sea Sickness. Also helps me walk in a straight line when the ship is tumbling from side to side. ;)
My wife swears by the wristbands.

We used to work on ships, she started to wear them then and now weasr them whenever we go on flights, long car journey's or cruises
don,t know whether this has been asked before,I am trying to persuade hubby into a cruise,he knows I get seasick on a boat as we have done a few turkish gulet trips and he reckons I would suffer just the same.
My question is,is there a good position on the boat that would lessen the likelihood of seasickness a friend has suggested the middle of the boat and although I fancy a cabin with a balcony she reckons the higher you are the more you feel the movement when sailing.
Hope all you cruisers can advise

cheers Jeanie
That's right, midships and low down = less movement.

Poundland have those acupressure bands in stock with 4 bands in a packet!!
Same thing at most chemists are around £7.50 for one pair, so it's a great saving.
We have never tried them but work colleagues swear by them.

Joe.
If you feel quesy, or expect to, then stugeron quickly does the trick. Available at all chemists. Having cruised just over 100 days in total, only once felt seasick and those of you who do so will know what I mean saying even the thought of food was not a possibility....however, one hour after taking stugeron I sat down to a five course meal, feeling back to normal.
thanks for that,hubby seems to be taking an interest now so really have to do my research!.am reading this forum every day looking for tips.

cheers
jeanie :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.