General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Manchester is chaos. If flying from there go early.

Any hand luggage is being checked seperate from other luggage at another desk.

You will see a list from the various reports what you can/cannot take on board.

According to eldest when he rang they were waiting to go through the security checks. That was at 8.05am - I dropped them off at 6.05am. Flight was scheculed for 8.15am - That will give you some idea.

fwh
Hope you get on OK cyberspacekadette. Just focus on getting to Olu Deniz safely and the great holiday you will have. :D I think it's good advice for you to go to the airport earlier than you would have, put any of the hand luggage you must have in your case and if you can manage without anything or are worried about it being stolen/lost from your case it might be better to leave it at home :cry:
fwh, let us know when he gets away ok/or arrived.

I still can't take all this in this morning.
it is beyond comprehension how someone could be so twistedly sick and evil... i just heard on the news that Lufthansa and iberian airlines have grounded all their flights and easyjet are cancelling some of theirs..
I think a lot of the planes being grounded is to do with the fact that there is no room at the gates in most of the UK airports and they don't want their planes stuck for hours here.....well I hope so anyhow.

Its quite scarey how this is having such a knock-on effect around the whole world so quickly.
The problem with incoming flights is, as you say jaimec, that there are no spaces to park them at Heathrow. This, obviously, will have a knock-on effect even after flights due out have left. Good luck to everyone flying today and in the next few days.
Cyberspacekadette's Holiday Update :D
Due to fly from Manchester T2 at 15.55. Was planning on getting there about 1pm anyway to have a nice meal, don't know whether there'll be time to get our meal with all the queues now. Can't go any earlier. Mum is picking us up at 12pm (suitcases are at her house) and she has a medical appointment this morning.
I phoned First Choice and asked would it be OK to bubble-wrap cameras, gameboys etc and put them in a sturdy bag - they said 'yes' and they won't be charging excess baggage for these items.
Just running around like an idiot now, wrapping our valuables. :roll:
Trying to take deep breaths and keep calm.
I live under Manchester Airport's landing flightpath and not heard many planes this morning.
I'm going to need a holiday after this holiday!
Cyberspacekadette you will have a fab holiday!!

If I lived near Manchester I would come and take you :wink: I work beside Belfast International Airport and there has been hardly any flights at all. Apparantly its organised chaos there too.

:sun
Cyberspacekadette

I really hope you have a lovely holiday. I know its easier said than done but try not to worry. It is probably safer to travel today than it was yesterday. A small delay will be much more bearable than the alternatives. Have a good one :)
have a great holiday cyberspacekadette.. unfortunately i am at work otherwise i would take you to Manchester myself.... not alot happening at Donny airport this morning .. don't think i have seen a single plane yet..

good luck to everyone off on their hols today... :fly
Thank you everyone for your comforting words :D
Switching computer off now - nearly time to go. Just having a last cup of tea to calm my nerves :roll:
Olu Deniz here we come 8) I hope anyone else who is travelling in the next few days has a hassle-free journey.
See you all in 2 weeks :wink:
http://www.skynews.com has a link showing what the latest state of play is at airports around the country....
BAA representative at Heathrow on BBC1 news has just advised people who are travelling today not to come to the airport.
Read elsewhere that the airlines targeted were AA, Continental and BA...though I don't know if this is correct or not.
Home Secretary is about to make another live statement soon.
unfortunately i am at work and cannot follow what is going on as well as i would like to ( no tv's allowed except in certain areas due to security issues) so i have to keep checking on the web. I must admit i am still completely stunned at what has happened and mightily relieved when i think what the headlines could have been if it wasn't for the fine work of the security services. ..how cowardly is it to target people who are just trying to go on a well earned holiday. keep me posted guys with whats going on...
A chaotic day today but just think what might have happened. ( It was this time last year that I was sitting on a plane in Frankfurt for hours have been diverted on route from Singapore to Heathrow- so I can emphasise with those caught up in the delays). As we have a thread running on this on the flights forum I am going to lock this. Feel free to add to this thread
PS cyberspacekadette- hope things aren't too bad for you and you are soon on that deckchair basking in the sun :D
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.