General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi
I must have missed this on the News.

Does it affect ALL airports, ALL carriers and ALL destinations?

thanks
Polly
We're supposed to be going on holiday to Turkey this afternoon :( Not sure what to do now.
Apparently you're not allowed any hand luggage which means our cameras/camcorders/PSPs/GameBoys/Walkmans etc will have to go in the suitcase. I never put valuables in the suitcase because of careless baggage handlers throwing stuff around and because of thefts from suitcases by dodgy airport staff.
I'm in two minds whether to cancel our holiday or maybe try to get a flight in a few days when things have calmed down, although obviously at this busy time of year it may be difficult to get a reasonably-priced flight to Dalaman.
Would our insurance cover us if we decided to cancel/postpone because of today's events?
I'm absolutely gutted - we've looked forward to this holiday for 15 months. Just got up nice and early this morning to have a nice soak in the bath, put the telly on and it's all over the news.
I really don't know what to to. Please give advice :cry:
Just had a look at the BBC website.

It's apparently because of a foiled terrorist threat to blow up planes departing from the UK by placing explosives in hand luggage.

It seems that you can only take the barest essentials into the cabin in clear plastic bags.

It's hoped that this will be for a limited period only.

The Home Secretary is on GMTV now, giving a statement.

Cyberspacekadette
I'd very much doubt that your insurance would cover you if you decide to cancel.
It may last for more than a few days.
If I were travelling, I'd minimse what electrical stuff to take and ensure what I do take is well packed in the centre of the suitcase.

I'd also be on the phone to the carrier I was flying with to check that my luggage allowance was upped to take account of the lost 5kg for hand luggage.

Good luck
Polly
All airports and flights are affected at the moment. It is very difficult to say what advice will be given - whether to contact your tour or flight operator - as this has been a very recent issue. Security is obviously the main issue here and we can only wait and see. Obviously, it is going to increase the amount of time needed to get through security.

The transport secretary has just said to contact your airline to check on new measures and also that information on what can be carried in hand luggage will be available on the Home Office and FCO websites. Hope this helps.
I know I've got a roll of bubble wrap somewhere - do you think it'll be OK to wrap cameras etc in that and put them in the case?
I don't actually want to go now, but I can't afford to cancel this holiday if the insurance or tour operator won't refund us :(
Everyone has the same problem. I had dropped eldest and family off and 3 mins later they advised of the new alert. They will just have to repack the cases.

Unless the Foreign Office advise that it is not safe then your insurance will not cover you.

We are only back to the clear plastic carrier bag that we had a few years ago with the additional checks. A pain but you can live with that.

Would suggest you get to the airport earlier than planned.

Go and enjoy yourself.

fwh

PS - Just had a call from eldest at Manchester. Says it is chaos. They have managed to put all but one hand luggage in cases. They have to check that bag in seperate. Cannot even take a book as hand luggage. (Grandson is impressed with all the machine guns.) Massive line of people doing so and only ONE person doing the check in for these. Rather think they will be delayed.
Here is a link to Sky News to what you can take on board.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1230418,00.html

I go on holiday on Sunday I hope it has calmed down a bit my then but I doubt it.
Friend at Heathrow picking up daughter coming back from honeymoon. She rung to say that they've already been sitting on the plane on runway for over an hour...although board says luggage ready in hall.

Just booked yesterday for son and girlfriend to fly into Dalaman, Turkey this Sunday :cry:
at the end of the day it doesn't matter how long the delay is or how many security measures you have to go through... the other alternative does not bear thinking about...congrats to the security services....
Been watching news - now say ALL flights into Heathrow (except to flights already in air) have been cancelled. Nowhere to put flights now when they come in! :shock:

They were talking to people at Heathrow...and they were saying why did they have to put hand luggage into hold? If there is bomb in handluggage...it will then be in hold anyway. Can understand them not letting on laptops/mobiles as this can be used to set an explosive off.
Reading between the lines it sounds like the threat came from a device which would have to be set off manually, so it would be safe in the hold. This is only what I understand from the fact that it seems to be liquids that presented the threat.
the next few days will be chaos.. but i would still rather have that than the alternative..

i too am confused with the banning of hand luggage..if it is in the hand luggage, it will be in the hold if they manage to get past security..
aren't the xrays used on hold luggage much stronger than those used on hand luggage? thats why they always suggest putting cameras/films in hand luggage, less chance of damage......
http://holidayforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=81400

replied on the other thread.

Its all very scarey and confusing at the moment

Jaime C
Do we have to squeeze all our hand luggage stuff into the suitcases, or do we check it in seperately?
Supposed to be leaving the house in 3 hours :shrug
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4778615.stm

Have a look at this link cyberspacekadette, I hope you get away ok. :kiss It might be best to go to airport now/ very soon.

Here in NI, they are advising passengers to go to airport 2 hours earlier than the normal 2-3 hours as check in is closing 1 hr before departure.

Jaime C
where are you flying from cyberspace? don't you usually fly from Manchester? If i was you i would go that little bit earlier as it is obviously going to take a very long time to check in and it is going to be chaos at every airport. I live right by Donny airport and i haven't seen a single plane incoming or outgoing since the story broke so my guess is everything is delayed or grounded. This will have a knock on effect for the next few days i guess.

i hope you enjoy your holiday....
Latest news from T2 at Manchester was that flights were likely to be delayed by 30 to 90 mins. However, earlier they were saying 3 - 4 hours! So you pays your money and takes your choice. Cyberspace, I would turn up earlier than usual and hope for the best. Good luck and have a good holiday when you get there.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.