Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
self catering
20 Posts
What resort are you going to? Most of the big resorts have large supermarkets where you can get pretty much everything, and the smaller ones have most things, unless you have any special requirements if you are travelling with a baby for instance?
Only other thing I can think of is breakfast cereal there's not much choice, and its quite expensive.
You'll find life very easy in Turkey, there are lots of little shops that seem to be always open where you can get the basics. Eating out is great, there's a really good choice of food not matter what your taste, and its not expensive. It's definitely a great place to be self-catering.
Have a great holiday!
I never take anything with me. The big suprmarkets stock most things you could want and I have never felt I have missed anything. You can certainly get tea and coffee but if you particularly like PG tips for example then I guess it's best to take your own.

Where are you staying?
icemeler
think i just take the tea and coffee and some cereal, ive been before but never took much notice of supermarket prices
got charged £2.50 for oranges in spain, Im sure i find it cheaper in the tanas
You can get cereal but it is a bit more expensive than the UK. I have seen Kellogs cereals but have never bought any so can't tell you exactly ho much it is.
I always pop a small jar of coffee in my bag as it is expensive there. Once a year I take my son and 2 mates so I tell them all to bring a couple of tins of baked beans, not easily found out there and when you do they are expensive. These lads are constantly eating, so beans on toast is good to fill them up. The supermarkets now stock more choices of cereal than in the past but they are expensive. If you like a drink buy some in the duty free as imported spirits are expensive in Turkey. As a diabetic something I haven't found out there is a good supply of sugar free sweets, so I take those with me. The other thing I can't find is slimline tonic so I have been known to take a few of those so that I can have the odd gin!
We go B & B and always take our own mini kettle, tea, coffee, lattes and sweeteners. If you like apple tea, you can now buy this in bag form as well as other fruit flavours ie blackberry, apricot and mixed fruit to name but a few, the brand you are looking for is Dogadan, cost about a £1 for 20 tea bags.

Les
Always take tea bags, for early morning cuppa. In recent years due to price abroad we also take a couple of packs of good strong cheddar cheese in a cool bal with a couple of freezer blocks concealed in the suitcase. Nothing like a nibble of cheese on the balcony with a nightcap! :cheers

also another good tip is to take a quantity of ketchup sachets and salt and pepper, secretly obtained from local pub over a few days. :oops: :oops: :oops:

J.
I found toiletries to be expensive if you run out and I mean their local ones not the branded stuff we are use to. For example I ran out of wet ones and it cost me nearly three pounds for a tiny packet. On refelection should have bought baby wipes but it's that kind of thing also sun tan lotion is expensive as well. I also take tea, coffee, crackers,cheese and a block of butter. They all laugh, I don't care, when I am enjoying a little snack and a gin and tonic.
It all depends where you are staying really. If you're close to a large supermarket, then it's not really worth taking anything with you - you can get everything you need over there - and much fresher. Also if there's a local market near you, the fruit is so cheap as to be unbelievable - and it tastes great. You can also get local cheese and honey from the markets which are really good. If you buy the crusty bread, it's best to get it fresh every day - it costs 75 kurus (controlled price) which is 30p. We have a house in Gumbet and there's a choice of three supermarkets which we use - Migros, Carrefour and Kipa. Kipa is actually Tesco (and you can even get the Tesco Value brands there is you really must have a taste of the UK). We've never felt the need to take any food over there when we go (only adds to the weight of the luggage) and have never gone hungry so unless there's something you absolutely can't live without and it's something unusual which you don't think you'll get over there, I can't really think of anything I would take over.

Mind you, if you shop in a small food store in the resort you may find prices more expensive - just as they are in small village stores over here so it's well worth finding out if you're near a supermarket.
We had a post before about toilettries and I mentioned then that if you do have a big supermarket near you they really aren't expensive, especially the local brands. Obviously if you buy them form a small local supermarket they will be more expensive. The same over in England, things are always cheaper in Tesco than in your local corner shop. I never take toilettries but I do take sun cream as that is expensive and you don't have to choice you have here.
Not sure if you have children, but i found i couldn't get orange squash for love nor money :(
You are right, they don't have orange squash.
we always take tea bags (his lordship only likes PG tips :que ) and we take a few bottles of lemon squash too - we tend to make up a couple of bottles of squash then freeze them overnight so we can have some nice icy drinks by the pool x

we were having a debate about taking food the other night! I was told it was "illegal" too take meat products out of the country, I thought it was just not acceptable to bring food back into UK???
It is illegal to take meat products into Turkey but people do still do it.
oops! we have been known to take some bacon in with us just for our first morning! whats the implications if caught - do they fine or just confiscate?
The implications? Haven't you seen Midnight Express? :D
:rofl oh dear!!! better be a good girl this year then eh!
hey,for those of you who mentioned squash and diluting juice, you can buy sachets of tang which is powder form of diluting juice and you just add to 1-2 litres of water depending how strong you like it.i love it cos its not overly sugary, when i lived in marmaris last year my fridge was stocked with it lol and its only about 50 kurus!as for teabags, you can buy lipton which is english make anyway but im not keen i prefer dogan, tastes better lol!as others have mentioned, if you stick to local turkish brands it wont be so expensive, i worked for 20 lira last season so made sure i didnt waste my money lol, i bought turkish shower gel, shampoo, body lotion, everything!though some things are same price as uk i.e dove oil shower cream was 5 lira/£2 so same as here!food wise i liek to take beans cos 5 lira there and also brown sauce cos 7 lira and cadbury choc lol!apart from that i just buy whats there, especially if its only a hol, its different when you live there, you wanna take everything and ask people to bring you stuff lol!x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.