Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Shark attack
4 Posts
The word is it was an oceanic shark here are some links with MI.
http://www.divernet.com/home_diving_news/261492/shark_kills_snorkeller_in_red_sea.html
http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/surface-interval/91169-marsa-alam-fatal-shark-attack.html

These are remote reef's and are normally only dived by liveaboards. I am current typing this out before driving down to Gatwick to catch my flight to Marsam Alam to pick up a liveaboar to do exactly this reef system. Cant wait.
Hi Shark attacks are very rare - the last one in the Red sea was Sharm 2004 - to put it into perspective over 700 people in the world die from toasters and 4 by shark attacks!

I heard it could have been an Oceanic but the papers have put a pic of a Great White which you wont find in the Red Sea. Reports are that they suspect the women tried to feed the shark, touch it or showed panic.
Having now come back for St John's where the attack took place it is almost certainit was an Oceanic as they are lots of them there at present we encounter them several times during diving. A 9ft one came straight at me before turning around about 6ft away and them proceeded to buzz another diver and in fact hit their tank as they had to duck to avoid full contact with it. They are certainly frisky at present. Another boat reported a diver being boxed in by 4 Oceanic and being bumped several times befoe they were picked up by the RIB. Normal holiday makers need not be concerned by all this as it is happening at remote off shore reefs well away from the normal tourist area.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.