Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Re: Shark Attack
72 Posts
I am currently looking at going back to Sharm next year(for my 50th Birthday) for the 4th time, i have just invested in a new camera specifically to take good underwater shots ..these attacks are unfortunate but i'm not gonna be put off, even though Jaws had a profound effect on me when i was a kid and i am still s***scared of sharks
seeing is believing I am afraid.................... then its generally too late.

Diving is far safer
Hope you have an enjoyable holiday. :tup
Sharm sets up designated swim areas

Shark-hit Sharm el Sheikh will see all its beaches reopened from today but there will be strict measures for keeping holidaymakers safe.

The resort, which is hugely popular with UK tourists, was rocked last week after a German women's body was washed ashore having been mauled by a shark. Four others have been injured by similar attacks.

Egypt wasted no time in bringing in all manner of marine experts to try and work out why sharks were suddenly attacking.

Now south Sinai governor Mohammed Abdel Fadil Shousha has told a local press conference: "We have allowed the beaches to reopen on condition hotel owners adhere to new controls to ensure the safety of foreign tourists while diving or swimming."

Divers will be permanently positioned in watch stations and the sea would be patrolled by boats looking out for sharks.

And although beaches and waters are open, there will be particular areas where swimmers and divers are allowed to go.

Experts studying the sudden attacks have come up with a few theories as to why the sharks have started to prey on humans.

According to Australia's The Age newspaper, the first is that there has been overfishing in the waters.

The second, more bizarre, explanation, is that the sharks were attracted by a boat load of Australian sheep and cattle being transported for sacrifice at the Muslim Eid-al-Adha festival. When any animals died, they were thrown overboard - the scent attracting the sharks.

With permission from Travelmole
Sounds like anyone swimming has a better chance of being 'fish fodder' than winning the lottery............. :que
is access to sea still closed. Returned Sunday, was closed all week
Is it all back to normal regarding the swimming situation now- is it considered safe to swim and snorkel?

Thanks Jules
Probably by the Egyptian Lifeguard who sleeps on his seat ? :rofl
ive just had a text of my sister whos staying at the sunrise island view and they have just stopped people from going in the sea as there has been a shark spotted
Not sure why they are bothering, sharks live in the red sea, its their territory not ours. Think people have to weight it up for themselves if its worth the risk, you cant expect a safe sea it doesn't exist.
my bro-inlaw has been trying 2 get in the sea all day and they are not allowing him,hes even sad to them its his risk but still they have not let him in,they have said try tomorrow
tell him to jump in, no one will come after him except JAWS :wave:
An interesting and informative programme on Ch5 last night Iwould recomend to any potential visitors.

http://www.five.tv/shows/red-sea-jaws
ahhh missed ity Nick :( . Hopefully I can catch it on the iplayer.
I watched it, and brought back sad memories, it was informative lyn, being there when it happened somehow didn't seem real until i saw it last night. Naughty naughty people feeding the beautiful fish :(
We were there 5th December people were feeding the fish at the Reef Oasis beach too
I watched it and was shocked that 2 of the attacks were in the sea at Ros Nostrani.
We stayed there at the Conrad 5 years ago and just by walking along the pontoon gives an amazing view of the coral and the fish.
The programme also gave a glimpse of the new hotel being built where the Conrad was.
I hope the threat of a $50.000 fine for feeding the fish will stop this practice.
Although I can see in some ways why my thread was merged with this in some ways it does distract from the point of the message :( My post referred to a specific CURRENT TV programme that many may have missed but it is still available on Ch5s player merging it with this old thread may mean many will miss it :cry
Jay Trip wrote:
I watched it and was shocked that 2 of the attacks were in the sea at Ros Nostrani.

Sharks are around more often that you think. You may not see them, but they are there. There are over 400 species of Shark, many of which are resident around the UK coast line. Mako's are regularly seen around here in the summer. I'm off diving with them 6 weeks tomorrow, can't wait!

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.