Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Sharm shall we?
12 Posts
Yes I'm thinking of going to Sharm, has anyone got any tips on where to go when there?

Several flights have been diverted to Hurghada and Paphos this afternoon. But some flights to Moscow have taken off from Sharm.
No Qman do not go there, it isn't safe. Try Blackpool but take some wooly clothes.

Oh so flights can't land at Sharm, I wonder why?
I think that most people are waiting to find out what brought that plane down,if it was a bomb placed by someone who works at the airport then sharm could become a ghost town.
Two ways to look at this -
( A ) If it was a bomb placed by terrorists then Egypt/sharm holidays get what they deserve

(B It will be shame that so many will suffer by the action of a few

one thing is certain people will vote with their wallet,that is some will return but a lot more will not.
I think you are right, but will we ever be told the real truth? They just feed us what they want us to know and I don't know whether the British Government acted too quickly or not. But there is mayhem with the airlines today as several Sharm bound planes are landing in Hurghada and now Cyprus.

I fell sorry for all the people stuck in Sharm who would have been waiting for the flight home. I saw 2 flights, one a Monarch and one a Thomson, fly over Sharm and go on to Hurghada. The Monarch A321 had been circling over the Gulf of Aqaba for quite a while, I was worried that it would have run out of fuel as it had been in the air for over 6 hours. The Thomson 757 turned right at Sharm and went straight to Hurghada.

What a mess the world is in these days!
You are not wrong but the next big thing will be people travelling home with hand luggage only and complaining that they have to wait for their suitecases to arrive! I would rather get home safely than worry about my holiday shorts and swimming trunks.
Well, it was a bomb.... so will you still go to Sharm?
but then i wont go to paris / tunisia / mali either now ((
Well Mali was never on my bucket list - but very sad that for the time being Egypt and Tunisia are out of bounds for travel purposes. Two places we've always enjoyed visiting since the early 1990s.

Will just have to reflect on my hundreds of photos for the foreseeable future.

Paris is always on our list but will give it a wide berth for the moment but with what's gone on the past few days - is anywhere really safe from being targetted?

So frustrating with all the recent scares which of course will be rife now as nobody can take a risk and ignore any of them as being a hoax :(
Though I didn't know it at the time, I was out with friends listening and dancing to a live Cuban-style salsa band at the same time (I had got home in the early hours and went straight to bed so didn't realise the full horror until the Saturday morning) that people who had planned a similar night out were being gunned down in Paris. At one point during the interval between the band's sets I was talking with a friend, a keen amateur musician, about the cross-fertilisation between Cuban and West/North African music and culture over the centuries and he asked me if I had ever been. I told him about visiting Tunisia and The Gambia and that while I would have loved to go to Senegal and Mali where much of the best Afro-Cuban music comes from, I feared that I had now missed my chance because both countries but especially Mali were now probably too dangerous for casual tourist travel.

He had no idea what I was talking about and it was all new to him that, for example, large parts of Mali were under the control of Islamist fundamentalist terrorist groupings. This isn't meant as a criticism of him or any ody else because it hasn't been widely reported here and I only knew as much as I did because I had explored the possibility of visiting the region and decided against it for the time being. It is a very sad set of circumstances and turn of events that have resulted in him now knowing only too well what I was talking about but I find it even sadder that it seems that it is only when Europeans start being caught up in events there that it hits our media in the way it has in the last two days.

SM
cyprus100 wrote:
Well, it was a bomb.... so will you still go to Sharm?

Well it's quite shocking that terrorists have managed to bypass security and get a bomb on a plane , many places get targeted by terrorists who kill and maim indiscriminately , most recently Paris , but also Tunisia , Bali , London and many other places , and I guess sadly even more in the future , but the point of airport security is to prevent or at least deter repeats of 9/11 or Lockerbie , and despite procedures being in place that has failed with the bomb on a plane leaving Sharm airport .
I have commented in the past at shoddy and slapdash security I've viewed at Sharm and Taba airport , but I hoped this wouldn't have resulted in innocent people being killed .

I haven't been to Egypt now for about 5 years , but did make about 10 visits there , to Taba , a relaxing and quiet place , to Sharm which I found a lively place , but will never forget the star filled sky at night in the desert after a Bedouin night , and to Luxor with its amazing history and a Nile cruise with an early morning flight to see the sunrise at Abu Simbel .
I have great memories of my times there , but now have no real desire to return , and feel with what will now be a downturn in tourism because of this awful event that the country will become more unsettled .

I was in Bali on holiday not long before the bombings there , I was on the beach in Phuket just weeks before the tsunami , no one can honestly predict awful events and avoid them , but I've become more risk averse , and think I've luckily used up my " nine lives "
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.