Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Many cruise ships have more than one pool, in different locations, so would they need many lifeguards? What's special about cruise ships, what about hotels, where do you draw the line? Where children are concerned, it's the parents who should be watching them, they should not be expecting someone else to look after their safety. Cruise ship pools tend to be smaller and well used, so there is normally enough people in the vicinity to help anyway, so I can see why they think they are not needed.
Cruise ship pools tend to be smaller and well used, so there is normally enough people in the vicinity to help anyway, so I can see why they think they are not needed.

I have to disagree with you on that point, Frank, in that the busier and more crowded a pool is the easier it is for people not to realise that someone is in trouble. A child in difficulty is easily spotted in a quiet pool because people pick up the splashing and thrashing around whereas in a busy pool where there is lots of movement and noise, it is easy for the splashing of a child in difficulty to go unnoticed. It is then only much later as the pool begins to empty that the child's body gets noticed after it is too late.

I really do think that any pool open to the public, whether a hotel or cruise ship should have a lifeguard on duty. Apart from anything else they need them because they should have a trained 1st aider on hand in the event of anybody getting into difficulty and not just children. Few people would know what to do even to get an adult out of the water if they were eg having a heart attack.

SM
Of course they should in a perfect world, but I was just speculating on how the tour companies think.
We go to a UK owned campsite in France most summers. We live in Scotland so go the minute the schools here stop and the site is quieter as a result. It is only towards the end of our holiday that a lifeguard is on site; until that time we as parents are wholly responsible for our children's safety.
Of course they should in a perfect world, but I was just speculating on how the tour companies think

Tour companies are responsible for your health & safety. IMO: A cruise ship is a floating hotel and the same law should apply to both 'land' hotels and 'sea' hotels.
Both the TO's and the cruise companies should take responsibility and provide lifeguards if they are selling a product to be used by the general public.
A good example would be the Disney Cruise Line, where the advertising makes it sound like a floating amusement park for kiddies.

This sums it up nicely ......
"The costs is minimal and the need is substantial. Yes, parents need to supervise their children but cruise lines need to exercise their corporate responsibility to supervise the pools, enforce pool rules, and be ready to perform CPR if necessary."

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2011727

Sanji x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.