Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I just got back from Marmaris yesterday and it is the Turkish Benidorm,very large,busy and popular with us British.I was in Side for 2 weeks in March and its a beautiful old roman town.The old town is quite small but it has lots of hotels to the west,most on the beautiful sandy beach.There are a few hotels to the east of town and this is a quiet area.Just outside of Marmaris is the beautiful resort of Icmeler,which is on a better beach than Marmaris and is very picturesque.Look at Icmeler on line as you can also ring to book.I met John Toohey and will book with him when I go again. Lots of people on here book with him at excellent prices.Jay
Thanks for that may be marmaris would not be for me .
i thimk icmelor would be your best choice its got a lovely beach and the nightlife is not to lively,i prefer marmaris but alwasys stay in the more family part near the ampitheatre but if we want a beach or a quiet evening we pop into icmelor.
if you want a good beach marmaris is definately not for you beach is very small and not great, what about olu deniz, beautiful lagoon area, fab scenery, not too busy, 1 of my favourite places in turkey having been going for over 24 years more times than i can count. icmeler is also nice, i wasnt keen on side but thats my personal opinion, have a read through the resort section on here, as everyone looks for different things in holidays, i go for the quieter more scenic places, i love akyaka too but thats very quiet, i cant cope with the loud hectic places any more lol
i had a look at olu deniz and icmeler and they both sound very nice , the only thing is we are only going for a week and they are both long transfers which does put you off a bit. i need to make my mind up as have found a good deal with first choice.
olu deniz is 38 miles from dalaman not that long a transfer ,you can get there in an hour via taxi, if you go with the package bus it takes up to 2 hours because of the stops etc , you wont regret olu deniz so pretty
found a good deal at the Karbel i think thats what it was called , do you know of this one ?
yes the karbel has got good reports ,fairly basic, but clean and in good location so that should be fine , olu deniz is lovely make sure you go the the suara beach area of the lagoon this is the sandy area and so lovely and if you let them know what days you want to go to suara beach the beach cafe mini bus will pick you up from the karbel and take you back free of charge its about 20 mins walk ,too far for me in the heat lol, but i have walked it a few times
well think that is my mind made up , what are the beaches like near the hotel ?and are there a lot of bars close ,
well it was a choice between side or icmeler but after some good advice its now between olu deniz or icmeler any views on this to help me make my mind before i drive hubby mad :bhead
*Edit merged to existing topic heading amended Briar
the main olu deniz beach is a bit shingly although lovely scenery and only 5 mins walk from the karbel, not sure if youre aware there are 3 karbel hotels , i know 2 are owned by the same person so assume the other is too although not sure, but all have got good reports, we had a look around one and it looked nice. the hotel is very central and bars and shops are outside the hotel, ive got a map somewhere will dig it out, the lagoon has a few different areas too it some stoney some sandy and some conservation area so you get charged to enter only about 50p we found the scenery fantastic but couldnt cope with the stoney beach hence suara beach which is free except about a £1 for sunbed for the day ive listed some photos on olu deniz of suara beach have a look

karen
oh im all confused now and dont know which one to choose and i was hoping to book tomorrow , what are the prices like for food and drink , sorry for so many questions
mo
the map doesnt have the karbel hotel on it shame, we stayed at lykia world so we ate in the hotel all the time so not sure of prices for meals, i know the karbel do half board if that helps , i think hisaronu which is about 2 miles up the hill and is the main shopping bar area ,restaurants up there will be cheaper.

only you can make the decision i like icmeler too but olu deniz wins it for me for the scenery
I went to Olu last May and although the scenery is beautiful I didnt enjoy my holiday there.I felt very claustrophobic as it is surrounded by mountains.My favourite is Side as I love the ruins and in my opinion it is Turkish Turkey.Icmeler comes a close second and I would avoid Dalaman at all costs until the new terminal opens.Everyone prefers different resorts and the best way to decide which is your favourite is to try them all!
its so hard to make a choice when you dont know much about the place , do you remember the prices of food and drink , i have been reading some reviews and they say its more expensive than the other resorts .

mo
When I was in Side in March the prices were cheaper than Olu last May but this could because it was early season.Beer,fresh orange and coke etc were 1 euro.I have just come back from Marmaris and we paid 3.99TL for draught beer in hotel Coke was 4.28TL. there were bars where we only paid3TL for a large bottle of Efes.In Icmeler some resturants were charging£1.50 for English breakfasts and we only had lunch there which was 15TL including a bottle of Efes.Evening meals were from£7 for 3-4 courses up to £12.Its hard to decide but if you know someone who has been recently with a travel agent get them to give you the resorts guide which may help you decide
Icmeler has to win hands down, it is far enough away from the hussle & bussle of Marmaris. It has got the Beach you seek and more great Restaurants than you can shake a stick at !! Hope you got my piece on the Greek Forum. I'm off to Turkey tomorrow for a fortnight. On my return I will be more than happy to help you on your way to Turkey. Having just put a first timer families minds at rest, they are all set for their first taste of Turkey in the next few days!! A good time to go to Turkey, if you don't like too much heat, is May and September.
ive been to most resorts and in season side was more expensive than olu deniz when we were there due to so many germans being there, the shop keepers etc actually told us they increase prices because of the german holiday makers, this was one of the things i didnt like. and as for olu deniz being claustrophobic im shocked by this comment never heard anyone say that before ,ive been to olu deniz 3 times and didnt find this. i think as everyone has different opinions of what they like, maybe write all the things you want in a holiday and compare that to the resort reports, what suits one person doesnt suit another, i love akyaka but some people might think its too quite and boring !! whereas some love kusadasi and i find that too much hassle and loud, where ever you go im sure you will enjoy as the turkish people are very warm and friendly people
i have just come back from hisaronu just above olu deniz the karbel hotel is set about 250 mts from the beach and small local shops which take you just up near the buzz bar or there is a sister hotel called karbel sun both hotels are fine and normally get booked quite quickly have a look at this web site http://www.oludenizbeach.com or go to my web site for a direct link under general hope this helps
ps drink prices are not bad 3.5 ytl for a beer cocktails are expensive 10.ytl
restaurants prices vary but normally not to bad
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.