Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
You can visit the Cultural Village which is set in nice grounds, some dancing, marriage ceremonies, costumes, etc. There's also the War Museum and the Landmine Museum. The Butterfly Garden is in the centre of Siem Reap (just across the river), its very small but a pretty spot for a cool drink and especially interesting if the local children are bringing in their catch.
A must do will be the water village, although as its the wet season in July you will be unable to walk around. I recommend Kompang Pleuk as it's less visited by tourists and will take approx 1 hr to reach, well worth it though.
No shortages of places to eat try the Red Piano, plenty of others nearby.
Thanks Chris for the info - will keep in mind, I do want to visit Tonle Sap and the red piano looks good
Thanks again Chris.
Have put some photo's on Shirley I am sure you will have a great time.We spent 3 day's there, after a day and a half we were templed out spent a day at the Cultural Village and the rest of the time chilling out.I can't recommend any restaurant's as there are so many to choose from so we just went in any that took our fancy and have to say we were never disappointed.
Shirley
When I went out on the lake we visited a floating school, classes with 50-60 children all sharing pens and paper. Our guide asked us to donate things to the school, they took anything, pencils, paper, toothbrushes, soap. If you can find some space in your luggage pack a few things, they will be really be grateful. Although I expect you will have already thought of taking some gifts.
The people have next to nothing, we saw young boys catching rats to cook. It really makes you value what you have at home.
Here are Sheppo's photos.
Thanks Sheppo for sharing your piccies, they are great , must admit I am not looking forward to climbing those steps in Angkor, I am petrified of heights, thanks fiona also for the link to the photos, only 9 weeks until I go now.
hi shirley
went to cambodia in 2005 and stayed for 5 nights.we took the fast boat to phnom penh and visited the genocide museum and the killing fields,also a very cheap russian market selling clothes eg.gap.fantastic trip which combined with vietnam.going back this christmas.
Nice to see you back Shirley how did you find it? hope you got on better on those step's than I did.
Hi sheppo - I loved Angkor and Siem Reap and will remember it forever, the people and the scenery were awesome - I have to admit I did not manage to tackle the steps on the central tower of Angkor Wat as I am terrified of heights, would have loved to have done it though, what a fascinating place Cambodia is, I would return tommorrow if I could, we loved Pub Street at night, still a bit jetlagged today but will do a report soon, shirleyV
I'm really looking forward to it Shirley!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.