Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
hi all.....originally posted this in CDP topic....but have posted it on here to see if anyone went in 2010 who can help with info....

....can anyone remember the price of things on the siesta coach....the friends Im going with wanted to know how much a can of beer is...also would there any problem taking 3 or 4 cans of beer on in your bag...

jimd-f ....thanks for your reply on CDP .....read on here your going on the siesta coach in april.....could you suss things out for me...Im not going till aug so would be a great help to get up to date info...are you by any chance traveling on a wednesday....as would like to know if its ferry crossing or tunnel...tweetie
FAO: Tweetie Pie & Hello,

We travelled to Castell Montgri with Siesta last year and were pleasantly surprised at the prices of the food and drink on board.

Expecting to get ripped off, we had filled 2 cooler bags with sandwitches, pasties, drinks cartons etc, but found the prices and selection on board to be very reasonable.

You could get burgers, those giant german hot dogs (about a foot long), toasties etc for about £1.50 / £2.00

Good selections of crisps, chocolate bars etc

Hot drinks for 50p

It was really good

You could also get beers for £2 a can, a couple of which made a very nice night cap

We thought the journey down would be hard work with our youngest 2, but it went a treat, such a treat we're off with Siesta again at Spring bank

Hope you enjoy your holiday, the only thing I'd recommend is to take a fleece blanket and pillow for the journey

Tim
hi Tim....thanks....I went with siesta for about 10yrs running, and it was good with prices ect...we havent been with them for about 3yrs now and this time a friend is coming with us ...he wanted to know about the beer...tweetie
Do siesta use the tunnel or ferry ? Personally prefer ferry
Hi Pat

Just noticed this. Siesta use the tunnell. I much prefer the ferry to as it is a good break when you are driving from Glasgow.

Helen
Cheers...Shame I hate the tunnel !
just returned from a siesta coach holiday to the costa brava (lloret de mar ) the coach journey was fantastic so easy ,if you wanted tea/coffee/beer/sort drinks etc they had at a good prices even bacon sandwiches ,the drivers very safe the coach was comfortable ,paid for the extra leg room (i am 6ft 2 inches) have already booked again for a another trip .
beats this flying game.
anybody who wants more info please ask.
regards.j.d.
hi johndoe......going costa brava myself this august with siesta...parrafrugel....been before but would love an upto date menu and price list....so if your in a typing mood I would be very grateful if you could tune me in....

also...about the using tunnels....when I have traveled in the past with siesta on a wednesday they have always used the ferry....but when going a day early on a tuesday as doing a euro disney break too, they used the tunnel......a few years ago we went on a saturday and they used the ferry.... I prefere the ferry too..

tweetie
hi tweetie pie (love the name)..as far as i remember .tea/coffee/coke other soft drinks etc 80 pence ,beer/lager and cider £1.40 pence .
bacon/sausages and toasties sandwiches £ 1.80 pence .
hope thats been a help ,p.s we took our own but there was no need to ,you wont starve OR BE OVER CHARGED.
regards.j.d as regards the crossing we went both ways by the tunnel travelled on sat outward ,and monday return .
:cry I phoned to ask about the situation regarding the tunnel.....it seems they use it all the time now and dont use the ferry for any of the crossings....I asked why they didnt use the ferry anymore....they said it was too expensive....I would sooner pay the extra and use the ferry....it is part of holiday having a drink and a meal on the ferry and the kids used to love it.....the tunnel though quicker is dismal claustaphobic and boring....the ferry is part of the holidayand a nice break after traveling on the coach since 8am that morning....the tunnel not a pleasant part of a long journey...

I am annoyed as in the brochure I booked from ... and the later one they sent out... they feature the ferry...

Quote...Channel Crossings....Outward....Arriving at the channel at approx 2.00pm we take the most convienient crossing. Most are via Eurotunnel, but some are by ferry ,offering a range of bars, resturants and shops.
There are 2 photos one of ferry and one of train, and underneath it says

Quote....Eurotunnel or ferry. We reserve the rightto change from Ferry to Euro tunnel , or visa versa, any coach , and at any time, All bookings are taken on this condition..

Why include the ferry and say what it offers when they have no intention of using it....it states tunnel being used as it is quicker and more frequent....when the truth is its cheaper....and so they wont be using the ferry unless they absolutely have to....could this be because most people would prefer a pleasant 75mins on the ferry ....and going by the tunnel would put a lot of people off.

Was planning big family holiday for my 60th next year....and was going to book siesta again.....but now need to rethink as my son wouldnt take his family if its using the eurotunnel....and its a pain to fly to where we were going....

It will also put me off coaching it with siesta in the future....though in the past they did use the tunnel ...it was only on certain days or if problem with the ferries....we go on the wednesday coaches and had always been on the ferry....it was only when we went on the tuesday for the extra day in euro disney we had used the tunnel.....I had booked a wednesday coach this time thinking it would be ferry....had I known what I know now I would have been looking for an alternative....it has spoilt the run up to my hols....I am dreading going through the tunnel....instead of looking forward to my relaxing drink and walk round the ferry shops..

I think a lot of people could be put of because of them using the tunnel....and like the idea of relaxing on the ferry....and thats why Siesta are still including information about the ferry and the idea it is a realistic option.....rather than saying that they no longer use the ferry,and the tunnel is the only real option...I am a seasoned coacher and actually prefer it to flying ....but if you throw in the tunnel I would prefer to fly....and the places I like that siesta go to are not that good to fly to.....

They should use the ferry on certain days and the tunnel on others.....if it cost a bit more by ferry then it would cost a bit more to go on them days...I would be one who would rather pay the extra and get given the choice of using the ferry ...

The tunnel may be cheaper now....if the ferries loose too much custom they will go out of bussiness....then when the tunnel is the only option they will take the advantage and thier prices will go up....there wont be the compertition or the option of using the ferry then....

I was shocked when told they dont use the ferry anymore ....that they only use the tunnel as the ferry is too expensive....tweetie

ps...just remembered how I enjoyed my breakfast on the return journey....ON THE FERRY... :cry ....where will my family get one now ....not on the eurotunnel
Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone knows roughly how often siesta stop for breaks, as reading in the brochure it says that the evening stop in France is approx 10pm and the stop before that is approx 2pm.
Also how strict are they on the case sizes?

Thanks in advance
hi Northernstar.....am wondering about that myself.... it says we arrive at the eurotunnel dover aprox 2pm .....your channel break is maidstone services or the eurotunnel terminals facilities....and you arrive in france at 6pm... then stop for a break at 10pm....

This is not as good as it used to be.....2pm is too early for a tea time meal break ( would be earlier if at maidstone services) ....and after traveling since 8am after a very early breakfast it would just cover a dinner time.....and 10pm is too late.

When it was a ferry crossing you could have a meal ect later on on the ferry....but you cant get a meal on the the train through the tunnel.....though snacks are good on the coach , they are not big portions ....and I am not looking forward to spending what looks like 4hrs in the euro tunnel terminal and in a tunnel with just a few feet to walk around the coach....then 4 more hours sitting on the coach...then having a break at a time I just want to chill out and go asleep after a very long day...I dont think I will be my usual happy self by 8pm....will be fed up

Looks like I will have to take the tea with me....did that for years....but I was providing for little ones then not the big hungry men I need feed now....was planning a burger king for dinner ....then to feed them on the ferry.....tweetie

ps....any one any info on car hire from the reception at palafrgel.....and if they have excursion to port adventura from the site
Hi Tweetie

This is our first time travelling by coach as a family, I have travelled by coach when I was younger with Club C never been with Siesta, and reading the brochure its very confusing with the stops.

I wish now we had done the eurodisney stop over to break the journey up!
hi northernstar....it was OK with the break on the ferry....but using the tunnel spoils things...Siesta holidays have been great value for money holidays for families who have to watch the pennies....and family friendly travel.....and the ferry has been a high light for my kids when they were growing up....a real fun part of the holiday......I have been by the tunnel and my kids were bored and not happy being confined to a few feet around the coach or in an unlit coach....and I felt sorry for other parents who like me were being asked how much longer to go....there is nothing to do and nothing to see....just the carriage tube with windows and lights flashing by....it was a relief to get back on the coach and off the train..

Next year there will be another change to improve your experience :think thats if you dont mind paying the £10 each extra.....they are using new coaches with seat back TV screens......that you need pay for instead of the free films and music we get now....so very bored children unless you can afford £10 extra each.....gone will be the free kids films before bedtime ...then the free grown ups film later....and the fools and horses episodes.....and a choice of free radio and music......and instead will you have the people behind you complaining they cant watch the seatback screen because you have reclined your seat for a nap....and in time to come moaning as the screen theyve paid to watch isnt working and the staff cant fix it....like happens now on the planes

I think Ive holidayed through the best years with siesta ....the changes arent good .....tweetie
Hi Tweetie,

We are a family of 8, to enable us to go abroad again the only option was to via coach, as flying was to expensive 3 times the price we paid for this holiday. I am looking forward to it but part of me is dreading it, especially the tunnel part as if my kids are true to form, after five mins it will be are we there yet! Not to bad if they can see something out of a window.

I received the 2012 brochure off Siesta telling us all about the new coaches, and they do look good but like you said its paying the extra £10.

The feeder coaches that they use are they just normal single decker coaches are they the double ones?

I have got alot of good tips and advice off this thread in regards to taking fleece blankets and pillows/cushions as I would never of thought about that.

The kids are taking their DS's with them, I'm also going to get some colouring books and mags for them, and whatever else I can think of to keep them entertained.

The prices on the coach are much cheaper then I anticipated as I was expecting to be ripped off!

I just wish I could stop stressing about it, but saying that when we used to fly I still stressed over it.
hi northernstar......Im just upset about using the tunnel instead of the ferry...it really makes a big difference.....and dont like the idea of somethig everyone got free being replaced by an entertainment system you can only use if you can afford it.....imagine how it will be for those who struggle to afford a holiday for thier kids so cant justify paying for it ....and other kids on the coach using them....its not nice....and the company knows no one likes thier kids feeling left out...I would resent paying it but feel I had to ....so its a way of squeezing more cash from parents via emotional blackmail.....it would have been an improvement if free to use...

Its like using a hotel for years with a bath in the bathroom...then one year your told there is an improvement.....theyve put in a shower you can choose to use for a fee....but theyve taken away the free to use bath...

Entertainment of some sort is vital on coaches that a child is expected to spend 30hrs or longer if coming from scotland....and for the use of all children ....not just those with parents who will pay it.....

It is making me rethink my plans for next year....I didnt want a 60th party ...I planned to pay for a weeks holiday instead during the cheaper period.....but some of my family wouldnt go through the tunnel.....and it would cost me £150 just to hire the seat back TVs ...I would think you would have to hire it for whole party ....tweetie
the coaches we travelled on ..i.e outward/inward stopped every 2 to 3 hours even during the night ,for drivers change over/ fuel etc ,go and enjoy it we did we were surprised our much the time just flew by..
ref the cases i did not see anyone checking the weight of the cases .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.