Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Hi and welcome to HT!

No need to get the metro to the Vatican. You can get off the train at San Pietro station and walk from there are it's not far. It's about 45 minutes to San Pietro and an hour to Termini. Your train ticket is good for travel on the metro and buses.

I would suggest going to the Sistine Chapel first thing in the morning as it gets extremely busy later in the day with tour groups. You can actually book in advance with companies such as Viator.

luci :wave
Thanks Luci.
Other advice I have been reading says that it is quieter in the afternoon, but maybe not. I am also presuming that the Sistine Chapel is open until 6pm. Is that correct?
We didn't go in the first time we visited Rome as we did the city first then went to the Vatican. The queues in the afternoon were hours long. Next time we went back we got off at San Pietro and got straight in.

Opening hours, prices and booking in advance HERE

Remember to stamp your train ticket at the yellow machine in the station to validate it before use.

luci :wave
We did the tour of an afternoon because we were told by them it is quieter in the afternoon .(museum & sistine chapel) Well we actually met a tour guide and 12.30 but she held the queue for 2 hours !! .It was about 2.30 by the time we got through the doors and if that was quiet I'd hate to see it "packed". I think it's just down to luck really but I believe the vartican is always busy .

We did at the time see many people who seemed to go straight to the front of the queue and since then I have learnt that you could book tour tickets in advance with the vatican that enabled you to do that so I'd definately be having a look a Luci's link .
My memories are that the Vatican museums and the Sixtine chapel closed far earlier in the day than I was expecting. GO EARLY ... first thing, and queue.

There are several choices of tour routes ... all end up at the chapel. You might like to consider doing the shortest one ... there's still plenty to see!
I believe they close at 3pm Alsa but Im wondering if that is the last entry time because we certainly didnt get in there until 2-2.30 . All I can remember was the day being ruined by the pain my feet were in and I hardly took anything in. :( We had walked there and although I was wearing very sensible boots my feet were throbbing by the time we made it in . please wear very comfy shoes , that is the best advice I can give .
Just back from Rome. My advice is book on line for what you want to see and Q jump. Buy the 34 euro Roma Card. It alone can be worth it just to jump Q's but it is NOT valid for the vatican/Sistine chapel or the vatican so read carefully what is and what is not included. We booked in advance for the vatican museum. Saved hours. Interestingly noted that the Q was non existent on Monday afternoon 9heavy in the morning). The Roma card was excellent for the Colleseum and transport (although NOT to and from the airport) which can be 14 euros one way by express train or 12 euros by sharing taxi service (van which stops at various hotels). 5 euros for the stopping bus (it can take a while).The Basilica was surprisingly quiet on Sunday afternoon.
Many thanks for that Nivsy :tup

Did you enjoy your visit?
Hi Glynis,

Yes it was good thanks. The food was good as well (which sometimes I find a bit hard to find decent places in tourist trap cities) but it was easy to find great piazza's with great and relatively reasonable food on offer....going to Tuscanny later in the month for a few days as well so looking forward to that.
Ooo sounds lovely. Have a great time in Tuscany too :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.