Spain - Costa Dorada Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Dorada.
Out and About

I had primarily booked this trip as a relaxing break from work and was hoping to spend most of my time sat by the pool in the sun, reading. Unfortunately the weather wasn’t very good while I was there so I had to find other things to do. I spent a lot of time just wandering around the streets, looking at the architecture, or watching the surfers from the Passeig Maritim. The Museu Romantic was closed while I was there and I ran out of time to visit the Museu Maricel and the Museu Cau Ferrat, so I’ll have to visit them another time. I hadn’t realised quite how big Sitges was and ended up at the far end of the promenade one day with a storm blowing in so I was quite glad to come across the Noddy Train that day – it may be a bone-shaker but it saved me a very wet walk! I had also forgotten that most of the shops would be closed for siesta in the afternoon, but this turned out to be a bonus for me at it meant they were open in the evening instead, which gave me something to do before/after dinner. There are absolutely loads of restaurants and bars in Sitges – these are the ones that I tried during my stay:

Ragazzi Pizzeria – I really liked the sea views from the restaurant. The prices were quite expensive, but the mushroom-stuffed pasta with blue cheese sauce was amazing so I would definitely go back for that again!

La Seu – I didn’t realise that this was a local bar, rather than a restaurant and felt a bit awkward turning up on my own for dinner just before a Barcelona match. The atmosphere was very friendly and relaxed though and the food I had was lovely – especially the Goats Cheese Lollipops and Patatas Bravas. I liked it so much that I went back for lunch later in the same week. Super cheap as well!

La Morocha – I had read rave reviews of this place, but the atmosphere was very muted when I went and the staff were pleasant but not particularly friendly. The tapas and wine were nice but rather overpriced given the portion sizes and the bar seating was uncomfortable. Probably best to go there when it’s busier or in a group.

Charla – After a few days of tapas, I was after something different and Charla seemed to fit the bill. The lasagne I ordered was very nice so I felt really bad that I ended up leaving most of it as I wasn’t feeling well. If I ever go to Sitges again then I’ll have to go back for another try.

Platjador rooftop bar – Excellent views both day and night and reasonable drinks prices. Restricted to guests of the Platjador, Galeon and El Cid.

Montroig bar – Lovely building but the service was really slow – charges extra if you sit at the street tables.

I also spent a day sightseeing and dodging the rain in Barcelona. I bought a one day 3 zone T-Dia card at Sitges station which gave me unlimited travel on the train, metro and bus. I found this really useful for getting around the city as the heavy downpours while I was there made walking around unpleasant. Despite the weather, I had a good time in Sitges and Barcelona and will definitely consider going back to this area in future.
Fantastic report. You sound like you had a great time, and made the most of what Sitges had to offer despite the weather not being ideal.
Like the sound of the hotel as well. sometimes it's hard to find a good fit when you are travelling alone, especially in the evening when eating/ drinking.

I have been to Sitges once and loved it. We were there in May and it was hot and Sunny.
I normally take a solo trip for 2-3 nights once a year. Absoloutly love doing this and the older I've got the more I enjoy it!

It sounds like a good destination for a solo traveller. Was there anything you didn't like about holidaying alone, or was it all positive? Where do you fancy next?

I will be booking Easyjet flights tomorrow morning for myself and a friend for next year. Your trip report has got me thinking about booking a solo trip as well, although I tend to book the flights much nearer to the time.Maybe Sitges will be a contender lol.
Glad you enjoyed my review. Apart from the weather, I really enjoyed the freedom of being on my own for a few days. I normally go away with my husband or friends so this was a nice change. Not sorted out any holiday plans for 2016 yet so no idea if I'll be doing it again soon.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.