Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Hi, I came back from Skanes 2 weeks ago and am going back in 2 weeks time as my boyfriend works at the Houda hotel were we stayed. Skanes itself doesn't really have much to do but you can get to Sousse and PEK very easily, we did that a few times and it's not that expensive in a taxi. There are no theme parks in Tunisia like the ones in Spain and other places but there is a small water park. From what I;ve heard, the Sahara beach is like a mini resort in itself so there should be plenty there to keep you busy!! You'll love Tunisia, the people are very friendly and once you get used to the culture differences you'll have a great time!!
thanks for your replies, I knew about the water park in pek, but wasn't sure about any theme parks.
One of the reasons we chose Tunisia is because the reviews we read on HT, so we are looking forward to it, We are going with an open mind, because every body is different, but I'm sure we will have a fab time.
once again thank you for your replies :lol:
There is a theme park in Tunisia - Carthage Land in Yasmine Hammamet - but it might be too far to travel from Skanes. Have a look at my post here for more info

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=14739
Hi welshoney. i was at the Sahara beach a couple of years ago.there is a fairground in monistir.just ask the taxi driver ,and he will take you ,and pick you up .it only cost £2.00 by taxi . its not very big but theres plenty to keep the kids happy.also we found not many western people at the fairground mostly locals .we went at night ,and it was beautifully lit up.locals were very friendly.prices also cheap.

:)
from the northeast
just wondering, I know that this resort it mostly hotel based, are there any little bars as well, and can we be cheeky and try the other hotel facilities Ie the swiiming pools ?
You wont have any problems using other hotels facilities. As for bars not so good - it is a muslim society. Although tourists are catered for, the bar culture as we know it doesn't really exist.
Certainly in the larger towns such as Sousse and Monastir there are bar restaurants to be found. Don't assume all restaurants serve alcohol though. Some don't as a consequence of their owners religon. One of my favourite restaurants in Monastir doesn't serve alcohol at all, some don't on Fridays but do other days. Check before you order is my advice.
If you want to buy for your own consumption on a Friday the Monoprix supermarket doesnt sell alcohol but the Supermarche General in the Medina does! Just keep your bottles out of sight when entering the hotel. Understandably they would rather you bought theirs. Oh and if buying cans of lager in a supermarket , make sure you dont get the NON ALCOHOL versions by mistake.
have a fab time

Dorra
hey guys

Going to The Houda Beach and Golf Club in July and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the beaches are like in Skanes? Ive read quite a few good reviews, but a man in one review said that the beach at their hotel in Skanes was like Blackpool beach!! Please help!

Also, any info on the hotel? Good? Bad? Read lots of mixed reviews, and heard that recently its gone down hill since a change over of staff/management?? Anyone been recently? A little worried now!

Really appreciate any replies

Thanks
Hi, I've been to the Houda Hotel 4 times and even met my fiance there!! There is nothing wrong with the hotel at all, the rooms are comfortable, if basic, and they are cleaned daily. There is heating and air conditioning in the rooms. The food is fine and there is lots of it. We always found something that we liked to eat. There is also a snack bar by the pool which does a lunch buffet and snacks in the afternoon and at night. The drinks are plentiful and there are also tea, coffe and soft drinks machines in the bar and at the snack bar so you can help yourself. We never suffered from any uspet stomachs at all!! The pool is lovely and big but a little cold and the hotel itself is right on the beach. The beach has white sand and the water is warmer than the pool!! The only trouble with Skanes is that it's mainly a beach based resort so if you want the shops and bars and clubs then you have to take a taxi into Sousse or Port El Kantaoui but it's not too expensive to do that. All in all the hotel is fine for a beach holiday and there is an entertainment team there who will keep you amused all day and at night. They have changed recently though and I am not sure what the new guys are like - my fiance was a member of the old team. The last time I was there was over Xmas and I had a lovely time, the staff are very friendly and are always polite and ready to help. I'm sure you'll have a great time!!
I went to Houda last Novemeber and loved it. The beach is lovely, the only problem you might have is the people that try and sell you things. I was standing on the beach and a guy came up to me and put a white scarf on my head before I even knew what was going on :shock: I didn't go into the sea, my friend did and he said it was lovely and warm. I am going back in a month so I will check the beach out for you again and report back! As for the hotel, I loved it. I can't really expand on what Lucylocket said, but when I was there everything was fine. I have read some horror stories but my experience was a very enjoyable one and I can't wait to be back :P
thanks katel and lucylocket-that really helps!
I cant wait to go, and Im really not a fussy person- i think you can have a good time wherever you go-its just that the reviews have been so mixed!
But you have put my mind to rest.
Katel-it would be great if you could fill me in when you get back next month. Hope you have a great time.
I will certainly fill you in on my Tunisian adventure when I return, just counting down the days until I go now! By the way, lucylocket I read that 'Mr Joe' got his visa! Hope everything goes well for you both! :D
:P hi, not been to houda, but skanes beaches are the best beaches around.........absoloutly gorgeous ( and i have been to a lot of countrys )
ps i am also going back to tunisia for my summer hols..........
hope this helps......
jmiller
thanks jmiller! Im really looking forward to the holiday now-ive stopped paying attention to all the bad reports and now am just taking notice of the good ones!!
Hope you have a great holiday this summer!
hello all , we are going to Skanes on Sunday 8th May and I wonder if anyone can tell me if I can hire golf equipment , shoes clubs/balls and a ride on buggy ? this is just incase the wife lets me loose ?...and it is not too hot ....
regards...G.
Hey Rosco, have a nice holiday. I`m sure you`ll enjoy the gorgeous beach at Skanes, and Sousse is great for shopping.
I too would love to get excited about my hols Tunisia sounds fantastic..but everyone seems to avoid my question about club skanes gardens..making me wonder if we have made a big mistake...? Please anyone who has any info bad or good... tell me...I would rather know what to expect!!!
Hi there.

Can anyone please tell me if there is anything in the resort of Skanes other than just hotels.
I've looked on the resort reports and all that is mentioned is hotels, no mention of any type of shop, cafe or whatever.
Many thanks for any info given.

David
Hi Dave
Skanes has a petrol station, police station, and a go cart track and that about your lot apart from the hotels
The closest places are monastir to the south and sousse and PEK to the north

Sorry Dave

Noticed from another post i'll miss you at the SB think you fly back as we fly in
Hi Notts Red.

Cheers for the info.I'm not that bothered about there not being a lot round about, it's just that I'm taking my daughter with me and I'm not looking forward to the "I'm bored" scenario!
I was in Yasmine Hamammet a couple of years ago with just my "other half" and it was sheer bliss.No kids to try and please! Liked it that much we are going back to the same Hotel in November on our honeymoon.
Hope you have a good time.

David
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.