General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Spanish Chemists
20 Posts
I do remember buying antibiotics over the counter in spain without a presciption.

I was also given a list of medication to get from the doctor when I became sick in Tenerife.

Not sure what I was taking to be honest but it made me feel better.
Hi Lou,
Could'nt the family member stock up on the cream before they go, at least then they will be prepared.
Im sure the doctor would give them some extra medication for the holiday.

My son suffered from eczema when he was younger, and I found the sun (in moderation) improved his condition whilst abroad. :D

gail................
I have found that Spanish Pharmacists are very helpful. In fact, a lot of things you can't get without prescription in Britain, you can get in Spain over-the-counter.
I don't know about the specific thing you want though.
I would advise against purchasing steroid creams from a chemist abroad. They are prescribed in the UK with specific dosage for specific conditions. They can also have long term effects - Youngest who is 30 this year has had the condition since he was 2 and has recently ceased steroid creams and pills. He was advised by his doctor that it could lead to kidney and liver damage long term. He has always found that his doctors wherever he has lived have been understanding when he has asked for extra dosage for trips abroad (including 3 months working in Germany and 6 weeks in Australia) I would agree with the suggestion that they should ask the doctor for a supply but I think the change of climate will be a great help. Dependent on what medication they are on it may be that a Sunblock is required. Some medications can have adverse effects on the skin when exposed to prolonged exposure such as we tend to get on holiday.

fwh
Thanks for the replies,
the reason my brother in law wants to get some while he is away is because his GP wont prescribe him any until june (he should only use it every 6 months) but his nurse cant understand why the doc wont give him some 2 weeks earlier just this once, she actually told him to see if it was available in spain, obviously with the same amount of steroid in, she has warned him no higher.
You see, his eczema is really bad on his face and legs and he is really self concious about it, so thats why he wants the steroid cream to use for the 1st week to reduce the redness and itching until the sun eases it for him.
I to would be wary of buying the creams abroad, it could look like the same cream but have something added that could make him have a allergic reaction, which would spoil his holiday.
Go back to your G P
Or ask to see another doctor, :D :D BBB.
Yes, I would consider changing your GP practice if this one is being unflexible!
Their GP is fully aware of their condition and therefore should prescribe extra medication for their holiday.

gail..........
He has just got an appointment to see his consultant at Hospital before we leave for holiday, so hopefully he will give him some. He is actually considering changing docs, as this is not the only problem he has had.

Lou.
This is rubbish!
i buy an over the counter cream in Spain.
i can't remember what it's called it's made by Spanish company called Esteve and it works better than the crap they want to feed you in the UK.
in the UK you pay more for your drugs so that fat cat drug manufacturers can ride about in new premium cars, live in huge houses and frown on the working classes.
i would urge everyone to answer the question if you know the answer. Advice was not requested.
jesus these people are adults let them buy the cream they want, anyone would think they were asking for class A drugs!!
Yes you can, a good one is made by Esteve, most speak English. Explain and they will be happy to help.
You do realise this topic is over 12 years old?
  • Edited by Judith 2017-07-04 08:50:26
Crikey, and I thought that I can sometimes be abrupt. :roll:
The last post in this thread was over 12 years ago and there have been a lot of changes in Spain with regards to buying prescription drugs over the counter in farmacias.
For example: Years ago, I could have bought as many antibiotics as I wanted to supply my family and the neighbours for a year. Now you have to search high and low to find a farmacia who will reluctantly sell you ONE course.

"i can't remember what it's called it's made by Spanish company called Esteve and it works better than the crap they want to feed you in the UK."

ESTEVE only make one product containing hydrocortisone for dermatology uses, to relieve itchy skin, called CALMIOX. It is a low potency steroid cream containing 5mgs of hydrocortisone per gram...which if my maths is correct, it equates to 0.5 percent.
So it's half as strong as the steroid cream which you can buy over the counter in the UK containing 1 percent, for less than 3 quid.

There are different creams containing hydrocortisone which range from being classed as low potency to high potency. High potency creams/ lotions should be used with care and as directed by your doctor.

"jesus these people are adults let them buy the cream they want, anyone would think they were asking for class A drugs"

It's not about being adult, It's about being informed. 

Sanji
  • Edited by Sanji 2017-07-04 17:12:56
Brentan Crema:
Composicion por gramo
nitrato de miconazol 20mg
hydrocortisona 10mg

Sometimes people are abrupt because other people are typing for the sake of it.
it does not matter how old a thread is if people are commen.....
i don't need this

Bye👋🏻
If it's incorrect and it's still on a message board, I.e. Searchable from google or a.n.other search engine then maybe there is a case to correct it?
maybe?
either way I don't care now and I'm not coming back.
bye👋🏻
Brentan Crema:
Composicion por gramo
nitrato de miconazol 20mg
hydrocortisona 10mg

Sigh
I guess maths is not your forte...I'll make it a bit easier for you. 😁
There are 1000 mgs in a Gram.
10 mgs is therefore 1 %.
Nitrate de Miconazol is an antifungal medicine, it's used to treat conditions such as athletes foot, the low potency hydrocortisone is added to relieve any itching.

The original question 12 years ago was asking about steroid cream in Spain for eczema on the face. Pharmacists in the Uk are not allowed to sell steroid cream, if they know it's going to be used on the face, I would hazard a good guess that the same applies in Spain as per the European Medicines Agency.

Quote :
You should not use over-the-counter hydrocortisone preparations on your face, unless they're prescribed by a doctor. Pharmacists aren't allowed to sell them for this purpose.Consult your GP or pharmacist if you're unsure.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/868.aspx?CategoryID=73

Adios and go easy on the vino 😁

Sanji
  • Edited by Sanji 2017-07-05 20:52:49
Completely off topic I know, but some years ago I was in a chemist in Tunisia and an English couple heard me greet the pharmacist in Arabic. They then asked if I could tell him the man had head lice. 😁 You won't be surprised to learn that my Arabic vocabulary didn't extend that far but I knew the French for fleas. I therefore pointed at the man and said in French, "The man, his head, fleas" . The chemist laughed and said in English "Oh, head lice." and gave him what he needed. 😅
I am impressed- Arabic !
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.