Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Well, we did it, and had a great time. Helsinki itself is expensive (even by London standards) but there are loads of positives, such as the people, the architecture, and some of the best food we have ever had. I will post a separate review of the hotel - a prison as recently as 2002 - but if anyone else is thinking of going, and has any questions, just ask.
I have never been to Helsinki. I hope the hotel had a bit of a revamp from its prison days! We are looking at doing more city breaks so would be interested to hear your highlights.
Fiona, there has definitely been a revamp - although they have kept the old isolation cell for people to view/visit!
Helsinki in general is a bit pricey, but some of the food we had was wonderful. The contrast between the 2 cathedrals is striking (Lutheran & Orthodox), and the "Rock Church" is a haven of peace, and architecturally very striking. There are some real handicraft bargains to be picked up in Market Square, especially in Nordic Amber, and jewellery. The fortress island of Suomenlinna is a 15 minute ferry ride away, and is fascinating in itself, not to mention the Toy Museum, and the other museums & cafes on the island, which is still home to some 800 people. the people of Helsinki are very friendly, and linguistically gifted (they have to learn 3 languages at school). There are sightseeing tours running daily, which at €32 are not cheap, but the one we did (free with the Helsinki Card) was very informative and enjoyable.
Hope that gives you an idea of the place, but if you want to know any more, just ask...
It sounds fascinating- I just hadn't thought about visiting it before. I just did a bit of a search and found this video which shows some of what you talked about.
Fionas video sums up what I would have said visited most of those sites using the Ho Ho bus. I am not a religious person but my favourite memory is the Rock Church I got quite emtional by the atmoshere there,
I am not religious either but always fascinated by visiting churches or other religious buildings or sites around the world. The Rock Church looks beautiful
I think the Rock Church was probably our highlight too.
Just read your review
The photo there definitely looks like a prison- but of course, a bit more luxurious!
Ever so slightly, Fiona...:-D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.