Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
stomach bugs
30 Posts
Aww poor you Rocky, hope you are feeling better.
Do you know for sure it was definately something you got when there or could you have picked it up before going?
There are lots of nasty bugs that can cause Gastroenteritis. I always go armed with medication, especially dioralyte for the kids, just in case.
I`ve never been ill myself when in Turkey though my hubby has, but i think that had something to do with the rather large amount of Efes he was drinking :lol:

take care xx
Hi

Definitely caught out there I would say. I went for three weeks. The third week was when I started to feel ill. Thought I had flu. Felt a bit better but not right. The day I came home I felt awful. When I got on the plane I felt a bit better. It just went downhill from then on. I was diagnosed with urine infection at first when I got back!!! I tell you I dont want that experience again!!!!

When I got I will be taking every medicine I can think of, including diarolyte. Funny I always associated that with kids medicine. It would have stopped the dehydration so I will be taking it in future.

I do feel much better now though. I think I am so full of antibiotics that I defy any bug to reach me now!!!!!!
hi rocky, sorry to bug you...sorry could not help that one.first of all glad you are on the mend,second where about in turkey were you so we know what area may be affected...get better soon,best wishes Gavin 8)
Sorry to hear of your illness Rocky.The only time I have ever been ill in Turkey was when I ate ice cream in Alanya from a street vendor.I always advise people to avoid these stalls.
Hi Gavin

You're not bugging me at all!!! I came back from Icmeler.
I too was in Icmeler 3 weeks ago and on the last night I was very sick, put it down to having a sea food dish in a creamy sauce together with the extrene heat.

Before we came away my friend had the same symptons as you had, this went on for a couple of weeks and she too ended up in hospital on a drip, so the bug was here as well. I kept away from her as I was scared of catching whatever she had before my holiday,

Glad you are back to normal again.

Barb
We stayed in Altinkum this time last year for 2 weeks, I spent the first week on the loo, never been so bad :cry:

My boyfriend went to the chemist and they gave him 2 sets of tablets for me, I took them as they directed and I was still no better so had to go to a doctor

1 set of the pills were to empty my stomach !!!!!!

If you are ill go to the chemist but ask for a thorough explaination of what any medication is used for
reading this post made me recall exactly a year ago when i was in marmaris on hol!we went to my friends restaurant were he was manager or something, doint the dutiful thing of eating there lol and i ended up with food poisoning first :( all from reheated chicken curry too, was ill for about 4-5 days and it was another couple before i was recovered, then my sis had it too and she was only 11 so was worse for her really. it was so horrible, spent a fortune at pharmacy trying to get stuff for the sickness, diarrhoea everything, it always makes me wary now when i eat out so just be careful!
Another thing i use, not just on hols, but here too is Coca Cola!
I`ve found it MUST be proper Coke (the red can, not diet) and i`ve yet to find a cheap version that works as well.
You must make it flat before you slowly drink it, you can have as much as you want, it works better for Diorrhoea (slowing it right down/stopping it) so you wouldn`t want to drink too much of it if you were vomitting.
How it works... i have no idea but it honestly does.
ME and hubby went to Alanya a good few years ago and we were very ill. It all started on our first full day there and we were bad for 5 days solid. Good job it was a 2 week holiday.
We fought over who was going to have the toilet!! It was that bad. Both ends....not nice.
hi all

we do the flat coke thing too, but it also works with lemonade if ya not a coke lover.

pam xx
The coke thing. You've all seen what it does to a penny. Apparently it does the same to your stomach and gi tract, so literally cleans you from inside out.
My daughter went to Majorca in June and came to visit me the week after she returned.She was ill with vomiting and diarrhoea and so were 2 of her children.She stayed in a villa so cant blame the hotel.The youngest child does not eat anything the others eat so she thought it may be a virus picked up on the return flight.It seems everywhere has superbugs these days!.
had that last year in Turkey as well Rocky. Had to spend a night in hospital on a drip after being ill for days.

Think it may have been when I swallowed some sea water as the rest of the family were fine. It wasn't a pleasant 5 days I tell you.
Re the coke thing - it works so well in dehydration as its electrolyte balance is just right. Almost as good as rehydration sachets and easier to get the kids to drink 8)
Lally
sea water over here is not to good to drink, you should see what it does to my dog !!

come on guys, im going in 3 weeks and your making my belly rumble !!!
i could do with a tummy bug to lose a couple of stone before i go on hol in sept :lol:
not to turkey tho we`re going to malta for a wedding.

pam xx
Like Jay trip said, you can get tummy bugs anywhere. Friend caught one on holiday in Bournemouth last week!
I have been to Turkey on my hols for 9 years and have only ever used loperimide which can be bought in a pharmacy in any resort, I was told about this from an english girl that had moved to Turkey, she said that anything bought in England wasn't strong enough to handle any bugs that we might catch over there.
Touch wood I have never had a bad experience, but if any early symptoms of a dodgy tummy then I just pop one of these pills
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.