Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Sunbathing
62 Posts
Amanda you are right of course, there is a difference between the two.

But I wouldnt say it all depends on how confident a person is as to if they go topless in Tunisia, I would say it depends on how ignorant a person is.

Dont get me wrong , I do go topless and have even gone naked on designated nudist beaches in other countries and am pretty fond of the all over tan myself, but I do think its just plain ignorant to expect the natives of an Islamic country to have to accept nudity in order to earn a living.
:rofl :offtop :rofl Mine don't smoke, but they do burn!!!!!!!!! :wink: And no I would never, ever expose "them" in a muslim country
Hi,

So lets get this straight now, we should respect the fact that it's a muslim country, and the women swim fully clothed! and obviously don't sunbath! NEVER bare their flesh, and would find it very insulting to see a tourist on holiday...TOPLESS! ooooh. If this is the case then why are we saying it's perfectly fine for us to lie around a pool or on a beach in a bikini!!! just four peices of material and a bit of string is not saying i respect you and your beliefs, but by doing this i can hold my head up and insist i'm a lady! in fact some of these posts come across as hypocrytical and very judgemental.

The Conclusion

Sooo, to those who are thinking of removing their clothing to catch a tan, and i can bet it's a large majority of you, then do so, but if others want to take off a little more then fair enough, it's up to the individual, just keep yourself to yourself and enjoy your holiday. we all deserve one, so as long as your not putting anyone in danger, then enjoy it the way you feel necessary.

xx
Just back from a week at the Royal Kenz and for all those who are interested topless sunbathing was very much the norm both in the hotel grounds and on the beach (thongs were worn as well).

Talking to others on at the airport, it appears to be up to management discretion as to if you are told to cover up or not as other hotels didnt allow it. The Royal Kenz clients were all over 18 and 90% British which maybe is why a more liberal approach was taken
suki2464

ahhh, it's amazing how things change in 12 months eh! you know to be fair, it's so cheap to go to tunisia i reckon it wont be long before it becomes a normal brit holiday spot, the weather is warmer, it's cheaper for a higher standard of hotel, and it's 2hrs 45 mins away! if you go next year, you'll see a red lion pub, with young girls with toddlers in prams sat out side on wooden benches wearing fake burbery bikinis and drinking bottles of blue wicked!!!!

So was you more at ease and did you follow suit, or did you stick with your views?

And oh gosh how warm was it?

Axx
lol

I stuck with my views :)
And it was Hot. Lots of burned flesh on show in the resort as there was a deceptively cold breeze the whole week. Sat in the sun - burned, sat in the shade - froze. Needed a jacket for the evenings and the air -conditioning wasnt needed. But I have a wicked tan, even if I do have a white torso ;)
I do hope you're wrong in your prediction, Amandajgee! It will mean that I've probably already made my last visit to Tunisia if that is the way it is going to be in future. It's the very fact that it is so different and not just another mass market holiday destination that could be anywhere which makes it so attractive to many of us fans of Tunisia.

SM
Well done suki for sticking to your morals and not being led. God help us if the G-string catches on though!!! urgh! :yuck

SM, in work recently we have all been discussing holiday destinations (no i'm not a hairdresser!) it is that time of year, and when i mentioned i was going to Tunisia, a few of the younger girls piped up with 'yeh, i've been looking at that, how well cheap is it to go there!' lets hope the tunisian goverment don't want to encourage this type of tourist just to make money, although i am aware that they desperately need it. i prefer holiday spots that are quiet with not much to do, i used to live in Malta and loved the chilled out life style, whilst others complained the whole of their stay!

I'm going to be told off now for being :offtop
I do hope you're wrong in your prediction, Amandajgee!

Oh I do hope so too Amanda!! I find it really hard to find a holiday at the moment! Flatly refuse to do anymore package hols..Or Spanish Tat... and Tunisia sounded ideal :? I was also keen because of the lesser toplessness for reasons I won't explain here but do involve a foster child I will be taking with me, I wish family hols would take into consideration more about the kids views... :cry:
Anyway, you are going before me so let us know how it goes! :lol: I too will be joining Suki in upholding my cultural beliefs.. better if you don't give a damn to go to Spain or Sth of France... anyhow...can't wait to go to Tunisia :hyper
BTW I have cheated & bought a Tan-through bikini ! :wink:
Merlot

Tan-through bikini

What a fab idea, i didn't think you could still get those, i was going to use boobie tape and a modified bikini top!

I agree about the children, but mainly in the water, when i go topless it is quite literally only whilst on a sunbed, if i have to stand or move around i always cover myself, and wouldn't dream of ever letting them jiggle around.
I agree totally with Merlot, on the subject of kids. I have two boys 11&9 year olds. Last year they found it very uncomfortable around topless women. That is why we decided on Tunisia. As for the thongs, that had a different affect :rofl
Tricia x
I am only 37 and not at all against topless, I have done it myself... but not around kids... I have been on holiday with a various array of ages..(due to fostering & my own) and also nephews & neices when young... and they get so it takes the fun away from their holiday!!. :cry: . people say its natural & they should be comfortable with thier bodies ect...I agree...but its NOT the NORM here, no one walks down my high st with boobs out! :shock: so it makes them very inquisitive (especially the young 9 - 15 boys) or very uncomfortable..( 9 -15 girls)...or both.....mine are all open & have told me they do not like it...so I will endevour to find hols to suit us all.. exhausting, considering there is 8 of us.. this year I have a reprieve, only 2 youngest going with us so easier to find acc.. phew! Mine are 12 & 8 this year thewyches.... both bad ages for self esteem..will keep my fingers crossed its not too bad :roll:
Amanda... bought tan through bikini online, bit more expensive but not old fashioned styles!...if anyone wants the site just let me know ..e-mail or PM .. but please know I have not yet tried them out..but they seem a big company..so I'm encouraged.. :)
Christine
Suki do you think the 'over 18' in your hotel may have included it in an adult type hol brochure rather than 'family' & so allowing more freedom? I notice Firstchoice do a lot of over 18 hols... can't wait to go on one... :yipee lol...means I have no kids in tow..!!! (still a few years wait yet tho on the demand for ice cream to go away! :? )
Christine
It was originally a Thomson Gold hotel aimed at the "young at heart" group. First choice have it in their Tunisia brochure - not the multi summer sun one - saying no one under the age of 16.

This probably did have a lot of bearing on the bareing :)
I also agree with yours and Tricia's views, I dont think its acceptable to be topless around children, not that Im a prude, but it embarrasses them. When its just me and hubby I will go topless but if the kids are here then the top stays on out of respect for their feelings. And if I can extend that curtosy to them,then I should extend it to complete strangers, to me its just basic good manners. Unfortunately it appears that fewer and fewer of us pack our manners when going abroad.
When my youngest son was about 13/14 his friend's family asked if I would let him go on holiday with them. They then said they were naturists but people did not have to strip off at the camp if they preferred not to. :roll: I said I had no objection personally but could not guarantee how my son would react. He went and it didn't phase him at all, as he went again the next year. As a family we always covered up at home and on holiday and still do to this day.
:P i would'nt go topless in tunisia, in fact i cover my legs and shoulders slightly when i go to the markets also!! i just feel that i am offending them if i don't!! just my feeling mind,,,,,,,,,,,when i am in resort i go in bikini etc because thats expected but when near medina i don't.
jmiller
I'm not surprised he went back Aslema! It must have been fascinating for a teenage lad! :wink: but to be honest he might have felt better cos his Mum was'nt there! less :oops:
I was once asked while abroad over the phone by a mum why I was'nt letting her 13 year old (maturely built!) daughter go topless... I thought that pretty shocking..but maybe thats just me. I like kids to be kids as long as possible! Everytime I have been abroad the boys have complained the worst about being embarassed at ages from 8 to 16, and with all different backgrounds... I will stick with my tan thro & strapless til they are all grown, but even then will be in mind of others with kids. I love the comment about letting them 'jiggle' Amanda...lol :lol:
Oh my gosh! the recent pictures of Jade Goody (The Big Brother winner) should be enough to put everyone off topless swimming, just what is that girl thinking of. :yikes Merlot67 'jiggle' is a great boob word, i cant walk down stairs without them boogying on down! :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.