General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I do admit to moving my bed as the sun moves around but hands in the air ...... no, mainly because they either have a book or a drink in them.

There's also the ones who stand at the waters edge for ages not moving with their hands on their hips or even worse those wearing their speedos but once they've led down pull them right into their bum, errrgghh
I too move my sunbed but I can't lay in it for long as I get bored. We tend to walk along the prom stopping for the odd drink rather than lay all day. I couldn't do it anyway as it's usually too hot for me. :tongue

Speedos didn't have any shade at all, god knows how they can lay all day in the heat :rofl
I think you were in Ferte Glynis did you observe any of the inhabitants of the 'Sheep Pens/ Pods' ? They are the serious sunbathers ;)
I gave up sunbathing years ago but I may sit in the shade of an umbrella for an hour or so but then boredom sets in.

So no I don't take sunbathing seriously . :que
In my youth I was a serious sun-worshipper but now I know better and and tend to sit in the shade of an umbrella, especially in Cuba. However, if I am out in the sun I do tend to align the chair or sunbed with the sun. This is because I tan really easily and hate having an uneven one! On one holiday I foolishly sat out on the deck of a ferry for around 40mins and that was all it took for the sun to leave me with a perfect round disc of paler skin (about the size of a 2p piece) for the rest of the summer where I had been wearing a pendant. I've been caught out too many times with a lopsided tan to run the risk these days. So it's either slather the total sunblock on or else make sure that I am not sitting side on to the sun!

SM
nickmacuk wrote:
I think you were in Ferte Glynis did you observe any of the inhabitants of the 'Sheep Pens/ Pods' ? They are the serious sunbathers ;)

Nooooo Nick :que we were in Corralejo and I was with friends, one of whom has a mobility scooter so we weren't at the beach much. However, I'm going back to Fuert with hubby next year so may have a little peek ;)
SMa wrote:
In my youth I was a serious sun-worshipper but now I know better and and tend to sit in the shade of an umbrella, especially in Cuba. However, if I am out in the sun I do tend to align the chair or sunbed with the sun. This is because I tan really easily and hate having an uneven one! On one holiday I foolishly sat out on the deck of a ferry for around 40mins and that was all it took for the sun to leave me with a perfect round disc of paler skin (about the size of a 2p piece) for the rest of the summer where I had been wearing a pendant. I've been caught out too many times with a lopsided tan to run the risk these days. So it's either slather the total sunblock on or else make sure that I am not sitting side on to the sun!

SM

Oh the ferry :yikes I thought I was being clever one year when hubby and I did a boat trip in Turkey by sitting on the deck in the blazing sun as it was nice and cool with the breeze.......until nightfall when my legs turned lobster red. I ended up with them caked in natural yoghurt & covered with wet T towels all night. Plus, I had to keep them out of the sun the following day which was our last one :(

Hubby was smug as he'd sat inside.
I'm rubbish at getting an even tan. I'm (in)famous for getting 'panda eyes' as my family have nicknamed them as a result of wearing large sunglasses which mean my eye area is big and white.

Normally get this either popping to the shops or sightseeing or on a boat trip.

If sunbathing on a sunbed I never have my face directly in the sun, can't bear it so position the parasol accordingly. I have been known to chase the sun around the pool on winter sun holidays between 4 & 5 pm when it is moving fast.
I think the holding the arms in the air technique has a dual purpose. To tan the sides of the body especially towards the armpits needs the arms out of the way, especially when the sun is high in the sky, I think that's more important than tanning the undersides of the arms, to avoid looking like a banana split. :)
Here he is I had to zoom so not too clear

[attachment=0]20140710_093121-1.jpg[/attachment]
I’ve always wondered how people get their armpits so brown :que
Me, I don’t sunbath, I live in southern Spain, and do as the Spanish do, stay in the shade as much as possible.
However the sun cant be avoided, and wearing, mainly tee shirts and shorts (in the summer), my lower arms & legs and my face are brown, oh yes, and my feet are striped from wearing sandals.

I once went on a short walking break, in the mountains, with a small group of people I knew. One day we were told “at the end of this walk there is a mountain stream, with a pool where we can dip in”, when we got there they all started stripping off, only then did it dawn on me that this lot are naturists.
The photograph of the event was so funny, all these brown bodies, and one that had a very obvious, big white bit in the middle :duh
Most years I have what my wife calls the "fisherman's tan" - the face,both forearms to above the elbow,a vee at the neck, and in a Summer like this,both legs below the knee -as we tend to go abroad in the Spring and late Autumn the rest of the body has faded to off white!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.