Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Boromick, Its about 900 rupees to Calangute if you book at the prepaid booth. I dont think there is a direct bus service to Calangute from the airport my guess is you would either have to get a cab down to Vasco then get a bus probably to Panjim then another to Calangute...but I may be wrong. After such a long flight its worth paying for taxi!!!
http://www.poipleshadow.com/Goa-India-Map

If you look at the dabolim prices it's 645 to Calangute and 675 Rs/- to Candolim...
Can someone help.

I first went to Goa (Calangute) in Nov. 2009, I asked a question about reliable taxi drivers.
Someone replied, that they had the No. of a reliable one, who also owned a shack, I think it was called "Cool Place" but not sure on ???? beach. (could have been Morjim)

We never managed to use this taxi driver first time round as we chilled on the beach everyday, apart from visiting the Waterfalls, and doing the Croc. trip through a tour operator.

We are going again (Candolim)
Feb 2011, and intend seeing a few more beaches, and doing a little more sightseeing.

So if you can resend No. I would be most grateful........ I think it may have been BrenLiz, who answered my query first time. but at my age the brain cells are diminishing fast.

Any recommendations. Re:- Taxi's, Beaches, Restaurants, Bars or excursions will be most welcome.

Thanks
The Preacher
It was me who gave you the number, I will dig it out for you again. He had someone working for him though last season and didn't do much taxiing himself, he was concentrating on running the shack but he still runs the taxi business as well.
BrenLiz

Thanks..... sorry for putting you to any trouble, looking forward to hearing from you.

The Preacher.
Hi anybody able to gives us an update for transfers and such for this seasons taxis
Thanks Sharon
If you take a taxi from the prepaid booth at the airport dont use the one inside the terminal building, go outside its govenment regulated and much cheaper than the privately run one inside
First Choice offer an upgrade to taxi transfers instead of using their coach, which is £97 return. Given the taxi prices we've seen quoted on here from the airport to Candolim I am rather more inclined to just get in a local cab when we get there.

We will let the First Choice rep know so that other people aren't sat waiting for us.

Now I know as I write this that this is a daft question, but it is worrying my husband.

Once we get to the airport I understand that we should go outside and book a taxi from the stand there, and pre-pay for it.

1) We will have no rupees at this point, should we change some cash up in the airport?

2) If we just say "Silver Sands Holiday Village in Candolim please" will they know where we mean, or do we need to take a full address?
Hi,

Don't bother with the £97, it's way too much seeing we paid the equivalent of £10 to get to South Goa. You can change money at the airport but the exchange rate is lousy and you'll pay a 300 rupee charge. Try and get money before hand or see if the taxi driver will accept sterling. There's no ATM at the airport. We used a random bloke standing outside and he quoted the same as the taxi booth inside.

The Taxi driver should know how to get to the major places especially around Candolim. Also don't be worried if the taxi is a small Maruti 800 hatchback. We got 3 of us as well as 3 large suitcases and hand luggage in without any problems.
There is a taxi kiosk just before you leave the airport. It's not prepay but they give you a chitty which the driver takes off you and you pay the driver directly.

Depending on what time of day you are arriving you can change money at the Elephant Shop as you will be going past it on the way to the hotel anyway.

If you tell the taxi driver to take you to the Silver Sands Hotel at the bottom of beach road, Candolim, he should be able to find it.

The fare will be Rs 675 one way.
I thought that the kiosk outside was prepay, you pay there and take the chitty to the taxi driver.
But I could be wrong!
They will accept sterling at the kiosk, you should get a bit of change from £10. (but maybe not depending on exchange rate, so have a couple of £ coins or a £5 note to go with the tenner).
Any taxi driver not working from the kiosk will still take you for around the same price, just ask. Most will also accept sterling with no problem.
Most taxi drivers will know the silver sands and if not they will simply ask a local driver when in Candolim.
Stop worrying, its easier than it sounds!
By the way, £97 will probably buy the taxi :D
Thanks all. I thought £97 was outrageous!

I may try and get a few rupees before we go so we can at least tip the driver.
Some Bureaux d'exchange have RPS but not many and at a very poor rate , so don't get a lot.
You can also tip the driver in sterling, euros ...chocolate buttons or any other kind of currency!
The taxi booth directly opposite the airport exit is the one to use. You tell them were you are staying and they will sort a taxi/driver and tell you what the fare is, you dont pay them you pay the driver when you arrive. I am sure they will accept sterling or I am sure your hotel will have some form of money exchange.....We contacted the hotel were we are staying and they have offered us a pick up service which is not much more than we paid at the booth last year.....cheers Keith
Now there's a thought! Knowing how much the Goan's love English chocolates, would a taxi driver accept a large tin of Roses chocolates in exchange for the taxi fare?? Much cheaper than a tenner!!
asda have roses at a fiver a tin now good deal to calengute :cheers
I always tell the guy at the pre-paid booth that i need to stop at an ATM and could he please make sure that the driver has change.
This has worked for me the last 10-11 times I arrived.

But do make sure the taxi guy has change if you dont want to give him a tip.
If your husband is worried try ringing our driver Nash and book him. Very reliable, drives safely, knows everywhere. 00 91 982 248 1730. Used to be 600 rupees but has gone up in last couple of years but still should not be more than £10-12
Nash will also take sterling I am sure or come back to your hotel later to get paid!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.