Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
taxi reform
7 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Last year we got a white taxi from Buggiba to Mellieha. The driver had obviously been drinking and what made matters worse is that I'm sure he had drank more than myself :omg
It was a worrying experience and to top it off the vehicle broke down when we reached Mellieha roundabout. The time was around 2am.
Fortunately the party I was with had no problems in walking the rest of the way.
Hi happychef,

I note in the article that the taxi drivers can be taken to task over certain offences they commit. In the UK if a taxi driver should commit ANY offence whether related to a driving matter or otherwise, they are hauled up in front of a panel of Local Authority Officers and Councillors who consider the offence(s) and have the power to take away their taxi licence especially if the nature of the offence indicates that they are a danger to the public!

Mind you I do like the idea of making taxi drivers wear a uniform. I would like to see that imposed here since I think it would bring an element of pride and professionalism into the profession,

Trev
Unfortunately as far as the UK local councils committee goes it would appear to be a lottery. I know that in my area the committee have allowed two convicted rapist, one murderer and two attempted murderers to hold a Private Hire Drivers Licence.
Should anyone have a complaint concerning their own local taxi drivers then I recommend that they write to their local authority and demand information under the freedom of information act as to what reports the committee have heard concerning that particular driver.
Don't be too surprised at the results though!
Hi m&n,

I have to say that there's no way our local council would let the creeps you describe drive taxis around our area! However, you're quite correct when you say it's a lottery and I fully agree with you when you suggest that folks contact their council if they know that these undesirables are allowed to drive taxis.

Have you complained yet about the one's you know about? If your council ignores you, can I suggest you go to the local newspapers - they love stories like this!

Trev
Hello all, I like story's like this. Will the Maltese goverment be putting up price lists for trips by taxi's at there ranks, and most of all will it bring the price down? As they must be some of the highest in the E U :roll:

Dave
Just returned from Madeira. No shortage of taxis there and they all display signs giving prices for common journeys and for a half and full day tours.

We (four of us) paid 100 euros for a full day (seven hours) tour of the east of the island. This was in a people carrier so plenty of room. How much would a full day have cost in Malta?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.