Holiday Truths Forum

It is currently Nov 26th, '14, 01:23

Teletext holidays?

Author     Message
 Post subject: Teletext holidays?
PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '11, 19:30 
Hi all,

My wife and I are looking for a cheap week in the sun at end may.

Teletext seems to be the cheapest, anybody booked through teletext holidays?
Are they legit?
I know not to expect anything 5*, but just want to make sure that booking is safe?

Cheers

Neil

Post subject: Re: Teletext holidays?
PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '11, 20:56 
Latest Holiday Review:
Mediterranee Hotel
you wont be booking through teletext they are purely an advertising medium, you will need to check out the person or company advertising the holiday , some are well established [eg A1 travel, fleetway,on the beach and others] but many are one man bands working from home under someone else's license, none of the holidays i have seen have ever been covered by the tour package regulations they are flight and hotel only, baggage/taxes/transfers are often added as you confirm your booking in which case its too late to do anything about it

wizard

PLEASE POST YOUR UP TO DATE RESORT AND HOTEL REPORTS

PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '11, 21:34 
Latest Holiday Review:
Riviera Hotel
I have booked Thomson packages on Teletext pre digital TV.
They had their own pages 276 and 269.
If you find a page for Thomson or any of the big tour operators try looking on their website as the prices are usually better.(cheaper)

PostPosted: Jun 2nd, '11, 15:34 
I have called up about a few teletext holidays recently and got nowhere.

Either they claim the holiday has sold out (despite me being fully aware the holiday appeared on the site between 10pm and 9am the next day, for which most the time the lines are closed) or they say that the quoted price is for smaller accomodation than stated, and for the bigger, better accomodation it's so much extra each. When I say I want the smaller accomodation, guess what, that's magically gone too!

Has anyone ever successfully booked through teletext, and paid the advertised price (minus baggage and transfers)?

I would LOVE to know if it's actually possible!!!

PostPosted: Jun 2nd, '11, 20:08 
Depends on what company it is Louise26 - please divulge.

Technically all holidays should be available at the time of being uploaded onto teletext however bear in mind that sometimes this can take 2hrs or so to take effect and teletext is not 100% live so quite often prices change or sell out.

There are a few that i know of who constantly advertise at nett rate or below so would never sell at the price and teletext i am sure are aware of these.

Best thing to do is see who else is advertising exactly the same on the website and you will find the middle price is probably far more acurate than the very very cheapest and will probably have better service.

Let us know

PostPosted: Jun 2nd, '11, 20:28 
Latest Holiday Review:
Riviera Hotel
I have booked many holidays from Teletext but not since TV became digital.
I have been all over the world with Teletext holidays including Seychelles,Mexico and the Dominican republic
I find the Teletext website only seems to have little know companies which I avoid.
My last Teletext holiday was to Austria 2 years ago and I paid less than the price of the actual advertised holiday as after I had seen it on the page Lakes and Mountains I phoned Hays travel and they beat the advertised price. :tup

PostPosted: Jun 7th, '11, 06:42 
I know this feeling - found a holiday last night advertised at £208 each but when they added in transfers and luggage it came to £300 each! Still booked it like, but I honestly didn't expect such a massive hitch in price.

PostPosted: Jun 7th, '11, 16:49 
Latest Holiday Review:
Riviera Hotel
Whenever I have used Teletext if they state a price that is more than the advertised price I have just told them I would use another company.(after I have found out the full details of the holiday)
I have even bargained a no TOD and no Credit card charge. :tup

PostPosted: Jun 7th, '11, 21:46 
We have booked with teletext twice, and twice have been caught out. The problem we found was they show photographs of pools, sceneries e.t.c but they are of a different hotel than the one they are advertising. When you look further down the page then they have a disclaimer to say that photos are taken by a 3rd party so they aren't at fault if there are any discrepancies. We had a lovely holiday twice, but were "sort of" misold the holiday.

PostPosted: Jun 15th, '11, 10:37 
Quote:
There are a few that i know of who constantly advertise at nett rate or below so would never sell at the price and teletext i am sure are aware of these.

Best thing to do is see who else is advertising exactly the same on the website and you will find the middle price is probably far more acurate than the very very cheapest and will probably have better service.

Let us know

One of the companies I called was Teletext themselves! When I saw a holiday I wanted advertised by them I thought 'jackpot!' Teletext won't use these practices but lo and behold, the same problem happened yet again!

PostPosted: Jun 15th, '11, 10:56 
Interesting louise - reason being is that they probably don't check themselves everyday like they do everyone else so they can feel that they can do what they want !!!

Test Calls can be very interesting too.

Page 1 of 1
 [ 11 posts ]