Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Terrorist threat
25 Posts
In the current situation safety cant be guaranteed anywhere as the recent incidents in Paris and Copenhagen show.
everywhere is dodgy in the world at present tunisia is proberly much safer than places like egypt so just dont worry and enjoy yourself.
Agreed I don't think anywhere is safe these days, but life goes on you do need to be vigilant really. Don't let these things worry you. If you do then you will never feel safe traveling again.
Well yeah I guess 'every where is dodgy' could be seen as sound travel advice.

However not everywhere has a porous border with Libya which has a growing IS presence or a large number of young male nationals joining such groups !

How about an Animal Farm type reference as travel advice 'Everywhere is dodgy but some everywheres are more dodgy than other everywheres '
Yes , I can appreciate that there is a worldwide threat , and i'm not one who is easily put off , but as 'doe' states the proximity to Libya and the large amount of Tunisians who have been radicalised is worrying,I will keep my eye on things and make a decision nearer the date. I would love to go to Djerba , the hotel looks wonderful but if there is any question about safety then i will have to weigh up the options.
I do feel for you Spurry. I'm also not easily put off either (I've been to Egypt 6 or 7 times including since the revolution but not in the last couple of years).

This time last year my DD booked her first holiday abroad with her BF and they went to Hammamet in Sept, if it was this year I would be offering to pay for her to change - it's so difficult to know what to do, on the one hand it's not great to let terrorists have the upper hand but on the other the self preservation instinct kicks in.

Sad for those that lost their lives and their relatives as well, guess that goes without saying.
Talking about avoiding trouble , I went to Sharm a few years ago and not long after a car bomb drove into the entrance of the hotel we stayed next to , I had also just been to Bali and a year later watched the attack there on TV , and only a couple of months after being in Phuket , they had the tsunami happen , it's difficult to predict some things that could happen , but there are probably certain places I would avoid now , but it's difficult to know well in advance where to avoid !!
I think all you can do is keep reviewing the situation and watch out for FCO updates and follow that advice
So Andy best advice is probably to find out where you are going and avoid it then :rofl
I think that FCO advice is only part of the picture, you have to be happy and comfortable with where you are going yourself as well. The FCO don't normally seem to issue advisories until such times as things reach crisis level, I assume they worry about the impact on business both in the destination one is leaving and the Country one is travelling to.
The poor English lady who was killed wasn't even staying in Tunisia just visiting on a Med Cruise.
Yes I know Nick, so sad. I read elsewhere that for the present cruise company's have stopped docking in Tunisia. I guess it's easier for them than the main holiday company's as the cruise line can just substitute a different port of call.
I am going to Hammamet 5 weeks today and whilst I was initially shocked at the Tunis incident I have been looking at updates on another website from people who,are there at the moment and all seem to say it's no different apart from the extra security.
I was in Sharm just after the bomb blast and felt totally safe.
I knew that we would loose our money if we decided to change so didn't even bother asking Thomson.
I am looking forward to going now and feel so sad for the people who lost their lives.
I feel if the tourists stop going the terrorists have won.
Although the tour companies have stopped trips to Tunis the area is still coded green by the FO which is the same as the resorts so we may be able to go on public transport.
Hi Jean

I can understand what you are saying as if I was booked I would feel the same, but my OH has always refused to go there. DD enjoyed the holiday, they stayed AI in a Sendito but I think it was overpriced for what they got as they didn't like the food and ended up eating out most nights. They would have been better BnB or HB apparently a nice evening meal with wine in a good restaurant was only costing twenty pounds between them.

I guess if the army of death do try anything it will be as much for publicity, they could slip a small cell in via Libya or use homegrowners as is the way of terrorists. I would think to be caught up in a specific incident anyone would have to be incredibly unlucky. The impact on Western tourism is no doubt a welcome byproduct of their activities for them.
I decided to book 2 days after we came back from Spain as a lady there whose son was in the Military police told her not to go as Isis was a threat.
I didn't think it would be as soon as it was but it was an excellent deal to a Platinum Riu hotel and as we hadn't been to Hammamet decided to book it.
We have been to Port El Kantoui 3 times the last time being Christmas 2012 which was excellent.
We were on the first plane out of our airport after the Revolution in March 2011 and were welcomed with open arms.its a lovely country ,very poor in places but with lovely locals and great hotels.
If I hadn't booked I probably wouldn't be going but things happen everywhere.
My nieces fiancée was murdered in Tenerife and a lady was beheaded there in a supermarket.
After this holiday it will be UK coach trips for us and a possible holiday to Austria in July.
As others have said. Whilst on holiday, you want to feel comfortable and safe, without having to "look over your shoulder"

Been to both Tunisia and Egypt before and had great holidays, but until the situation improves, I shall not be going for the reason stated above.

It's a shame as I'm probably not the only one to think like this, and tourism will suffer because of it.
'Sir' and I are going to Yasmine Hammamet on 3 May. Will keep up to date with FCO info but, as has been said, - where are you safe anywhere these days! Sad, but true!
We're taking all our family to the Skanes family Resort at the end of May. There's 11 of us going AI, so as you can imagine, it wasn't cheap. It's a treat for hubby's 60th birthday later in the year. At the moment we're watching the situation closely and following the Foreign office travel advice.
doe wrote:
So Andy best advice is probably to find out where you are going and avoid it then :

Or just avoid where I've just been to :rofl

I find I agree with Inca , in that you don't want to be looking over your shoulder because you don't feel safe , with many choices available now I wouldn't choose somewhere that had a higher risk or unrest going on , but can understand it must be a worrying problem if you already have something booked
What really annoys me, is the Insurance companies, it's all very well the FCO not changing its advisories regarding areas prone to terrorist activities but the insurance companies always seem to exclude things that are resultant from acts of terrorism/war.

So if you are unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and need medical treatment it looks like you are on your own with all your medical bills with most policies. If it happens here at least you are covered by the NHS, and presumably covered in the EU by the card thingy.

I feel that if the FCO says it's still safe to travel to places where the army of death are known to be particularly active like Egypt,Tunisia etc the least the insurance companies can do is meet any medical claims. All they seem interested in is high premiums and excuses not to pay out.

Rant over !
I read an article yesterday that states the media reports were inaccurate.
It has made me fell so much better about going and the 2 gunmen were not connected to Isis.
If anyone going wants to read it pm me and I will send the link.
PS Prawn we are in Yasmine until the 10 th May.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.