Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
THAILAND VISA
23 Posts
Very easy, you get a visa on arrival. I take a taxi into Bangkok. Always get a metered taxi. I usually go down to the official taxi place in arrivals and they ask which hotel I'm going to and they get me a taxi and then tell the driver where I'm going.
I believe the train now goes all the way out to the airport, but most of the sky train stops don't have lifts or escalators and it's not very easy if you are carrying suitcases as there are often steep staircases up to the various stations. Also if it's very hot and you hotel isn't near to a station it's very draining walking with luggage in the extreme temperatures (the trains are air conditioned though). After a long flight though it's nice to just sit back in comfort in a taxi.

edited for spelling
  • Edited by Judith 2011-01-14 13:25:20
Sorry I've just reread your post and I see you are staying for two months. In this case I believe you will have to apply for a tourist visa, whch I think is given for 60 days and can be extended for another 30. I'll have a look to see if I can find a link for you.

Sorry
Judith
Thanks judith much appreciated.
Hi Judith. yes i need a tourist visa for up tp 60 days .luckily theres a consulate in livrpool . which is not to far for me to go . so will be on the case first thing tomorrow morning.many thanks for all your help.
Hi judith have you a rough idea what the charge would be in metered taxi .
It always varies slightly but the taxi meter usually has 35 baht on when you start then there is a 50 baht surcharge plus (I think) 70 baht for the expressway toll then depending on how long the journey takes another couple of hundred baht. I think on my last trip I paid about 450 baht which was then about 8-9 pounds. This was two years ago so it could have changed and the pound has slipped in value. You might like to look on Trip advisor as they have lots of posts about Bangkok. http://www.tripadvisor.com

Judith
Ok judith thats fine gives me a rough idea.many thanks. can i ask one more question ? is it easy to change stirling to baht in airport . not sure if you can buy it in uk.
Loads of exchange desks on the airport and thre's no problem changing sterling.

Judith
thanks judith you have been very patient. hope i can return the favour sometime. :tup
Sorry, I am a Thailand hopeful newbie. If I got to Thailand for 2 weeks, do I need a Visa, please?!
No !!! you do not need to apply for visa.
£10 is included in your airfare and the stamp in your passport on arrival covers you for 30 days.
Sorry incorrect info posted, have deleted.
Judith
If you are travelling relatively light and staying close to BTS station.then you can also take the train into Bangkok. No need to pay for the express service, just take the regular train and you can get off at PhayaThai station, then take BTS to your hotel. The express stops at the Makassan terminal, no BTS connection, so you would need a taxi from there.

A regular taxi into the city centre should be around 250 Baht including the 50 baht airport surcharge. Expressway tolls are extra. If your going to Sukhumvit or somewhere similarly central there are two tolls 25 baht & 45 baht. * Take a public taxi not the airport taxi that you see advertised in Baggage claim and in the Arrival Hall.
Visa on arrival for 30 days is free! the add on to your flight ticket is the Departure tax, we used to pay on leaving Thailand separately but added on to ticket now.

As Macfarang says, steer clear of limo/taxi touts/mafia inside the airport go outside of arrivals to the road, there you will see Taxi desk pay your 50baht and take the taxi to your hotel less stress than trains and right to the door about for 340baht total, we stay at a cheapo hotel its clean and food good and five minutes from SkyTrain, money saved goes on our house in C/Mai.
Is the visa stamp literally just an ink stamp? Do you think they will mind if I offer a specific page to put it on? I go to Goa quite often, and the visa and stamp for there takes up two adjacent pages, so worried about running out of room.

Do we get given a form on the plane to fill out and hand over to get the stamp? Sorry, never been to Thailand before, so will no doubt have plenty of other daft questions to ask!!
Yes visa on arrival is a stamp in and another stamp going out from Thailand, No idea if they will put stamp where you ask, but you can try.

The form you fill in on the plane is clipped to your passport and removed when you leave LOS(land of smiles)
Thanks. Maybe if I slip the form in my passport at a suitable page, they will just stamp that one. I'll give it a go.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.