General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
They are probably right where I'm concerned. I read a lot but not those types of books.
I'm not sure what it says about me but I've read 51 of them - it strikes me that perhaps it's an age thing? A number of them I had to read whilst at school where a lot of them were on the English curriculum but there was a scheme of 'home reading' - each term there was a set book that we had to read in our own time and sit an exam on it at the end of term as proof that we really had read it! And a lot of the others fall into the category of cult books that no self-respecting student in the 1970s wouldn't have read :-)
Yes a lot of those were required reads for us.
Like Glynis I read other types of books instead , I see quite a few of the books listed have been adapted to the screen which I have watched and perhaps in a lazy way makes me less likely to then read the book , my favourite adaption is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory , followed closely by Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory !!
And it has to be Gene Wilder!
I'm the same Andy, have watched quite a few of the film versions πŸ‘

Totally agree Fiona re Gene Wilder πŸ‘
I do like the Gene Wilder version , apparently Roald Dahl wanted Spike Milligan to play the role ?? !!!! He was wonderfully theatrical , but I'm more fascinated by the Johnny Depp version which feels much "darker " to me .
Both are great to watch though .
I'll happily watch anything with Johnny Depp in πŸ˜‰ but I usually do prefer the originals. Apart from Oliver Twist, the musical version with Ron Moody's my favourite. 🎡Consider yourself at home 🎡😁😁😁
Read 8 on the list but have read other books too.
Do I get the prize, I've read 52 of the books. ?
Certainly sends you to the top of the class! :-)
well i have managed to read 6 of these, not counting Shakespeare where i have only read about 10 of his plays. i have seen the film of quite a few more.
i don't normally bother with these sort of lists as they are usually very subjective.
what i do know is that i started reading books very early, Just William and Enid Blyton being the favourites, having weekly trips to the library.
i continue to read books today, mainly crime fiction, with Ian Rankin, Stuart Macbride, Graham Hurley and Quentin Jardine being firm favourites.
one weeks holiday usually results in 5-6 books being read and i have now, belatedly, got myself a kindle though i still prefer reading an actual book.
A kindle is great for holidays as there is less luggage weight :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.