Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
CY

we have been asked for a general [holiday related] chat thread in this forum, {see recent post in this thread}

wiz
What sort of weather would you normally expect around the middle of April? Is it warm enough for sunbathing, swimming outdoors e.t.c?
Been there once at that time. Yes it was warm enough for us. Not sure if it was the normal weather or not.
Sister is packing tonight to go back to her house there for a few weeks. She did go out to stay a couple of years back but the job situation was dire.
I wonder if things are picking up there yet?
DerwentRockers daughter had a bad experience out there Fiona with trying to get work - don't know whether you saw the thread?

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=151009
No- didn't see it Glynis. Sounds frightening. Sister did get offered management jobs in hotels but went for a job outside of that. She did say that women do seem a bit second class there. The expats staying beside her began leaving as jobs went. Those who had retired found their money was getting them less and less and also had to leave. She did have a couple of alarming stories about possible Russian mafia- second hand stories so at the time I took them with a pinch of salt.
weather in April is a little up and down... and like everything these days seems to be altering from previous history (like the weather in the UK has gone out of kilter). We went a few years back for only 5 nights and had good weather for most of it (90%) did see a little cloud cover and one or two short showers. However then the sun was out, it was very warm but sometimes the wind was a little chilly. I did get a pink nose after about 2 hours of wandering around on the first day thinking it wasn't that sunny !

:sun2
Thank you. I ask because a couple of years ago we were coming back from La Carihuela ,and got chatting to a couple who had been to Cyprus, and they'd had a week of rain. I was just wondering if that was the norm for April time. If so, then I can cross it off my destination list for next Easter.
April is usually good weather but you can't rule out a little rain (when it did rain it didn't last long and was soon warm and sunny again.. I think it was about 25C most of the time)

April 2009 Coastal path Pernera end
http://s3.postimage.org/1k04j756s/n759322738_1694306_7023500.jpg
April 2009 Coastal path Protaras end (since then its been extended on much further, it was still being worked on during 2009)
http://s3.postimage.org/1k0yave2s/n759322738_1694307_1620564.jpg
and to give you an idea of how much rain there was, here is a sprinkler in action during April 2009
http://s3.postimage.org/1k1883h1g/n759322738_1694304_4433454.jpg
April 2009 flowers in bloom... you don't see this in August..
http://s3.postimage.org/1k1jsuwhw/n759322738_1694309_7933167.jpg
another sight you don't see in August is the Easter Celebrations (again April 2009)
http://s3.postimage.org/1k1qf0ah0/n759322738_1697736_5706755.jpg
and lastly... April 2009 (between 10-15th April) the beach in Pernera (just down the coastal path from Protaras)
http://s3.postimage.org/1k1yop0xw/n759322738_1697710_1440025.jpg

:cheers
steve

your photos make me want to go back :cry We fell in love with pernera infact a return visit may be on the cards if we can save enough ;)
we are trying to arrange a return trip for our wedding anniversary in February, but not much choice of flights and even less choice of hotels, not found ant sutable and available in Pemera and only the Constantinos The Great in Protaras :que
We've only been the once. Had a great time but the accommodation was rubbish - Sandra apartments. We were originally booked to go to Mexico, but following a period in hospital for pneumonia, hubby was stopped from going on such a long flight. We booked on Friday & flew on Monday - never again :tut
don't say never Helen all resorts have good and bad accommodation, its just a question of finding the right one for you :think :tup
Sorry Wizz - I didn't mean never again to Cyprus, we'll definitely be back. I meant never again would I book at such short notice, without researching :tup
We've been living (and I work) in Cyprus since March 2004 just before Cyprus became an EU member.

I've only had 3 weeks without work in that time. We were originally going to live in Paphos (or that was the plan) but changed ideas about 18 months before our move and started to look back at Limassol.

For us it was a blessing in disguise as work in the tourist resorts of Paphos, Ayia Napa, Protaras etc is poorly paid, hard to come by and more often than not - illegal. Unless your employer provides you with a payslip that clearly shows deductions have been taken for Social Insurance contributions and include your SI number which has to be obtained from the employment office you don't have a leg to stand on.

If possible try to get work through a registered employment agency or with an offshore company. I worked for a Cypriot estate agency for almost 12 months and they sorted my paperwork and SI contributions for me so there are honest ones out there... Later, an offshore company I was working for sold up and all but 3 of us were made redundant with the 3 of us following some 4 months later. We were paid our full entitlement and any accrued holidays. I then went on to work for a Greek/American company from November until just before Christmas. After we closed for the holidays we were told we were moving offices and would get a date to start back soon. It never materialised and the SI deductions were never paid by the company to our personal accounts. For me it wasn't any great loss as I was only there a few weeks but one guy had been there for almost 3yrs! He reported them to the authorites and eventually they paid it for hm...

Work in the tourist industry is notorious for not covering contributions or using the excuse of seasonal work for not going through the proper motions - unless you are working with a registered tour operator.

We were coming to Cyprus for holidays for over 15yrs before we finally came to live here. Since that date we have not yet returned to UK for any reason but we have seen mamy others come and go for varying reasons. Mostly due to lack of planning or research before moving or having necessary backup funds in place.

A lot of retired expats are feeling the pinch due to the poor GBP to the EUR exchange rate - not good if your pension is being sent from UK.

As for holidays, friends of ours living in Cyprus were looking for a couple of nghts in a hotel in Paphos and struggled as most seem to indicate they are fully booked so that must be a good thing! Sadly, flights and accommodation prices seem to be increasing at a rapid rate even though a lot of hotels are changing their purpose to become private aparment buildings, which may also account for why hotel rooms are now showing fully booked - because basically, they are no longer hotels! Tourism is always the first to be hit in any time of crisis so they are having to look for other ways to divesify.

There are some badly reported accommodations in all resorts so if you are in a position to do your homework before booking it's always a plus but for last minute allocated on arrival, you just have to cross your fingers! We did it manytimes to lots of different countries not just Cyprus and did pretty well so it's just yhe luck of the draw.....

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Shell
it was an estate agency my sister was working in. Her background is management in hotel and pub business but she wanted to come out of there. She is there now on a fortnights holiday. I am half expecting her to find a job again as she really misses Cyprus and the whole community she lived in.
Is it okay to chat about Northern Cyprus on here?
If so I have a question that I hope someone can help with?
Travellling to the North on Saturday - first time after 2 lovely visits to the South.
Trying to sort out how to take our 'spends' Wondering whether a pre-paid card loaded with Lira can be widely used in supermarkets, petrol stations and restaurants? Going to take some Lira and some Sterling which I believe is easy to change?
Any advice welcome.
Irene
Is it okay to chat about Northern Cyprus on here?

YES there is only one Cyprus [with lots of problems] no discussions allowed on the current/past problems or religious or political comments

yasus
wizard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.