Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi, can you please tell me were you got that rate of 2.103 Euro's to the £1. It has never been this high since coming into force, are you sure you are not mixed up with the rate being Lev's to the £1. if so the opening rate in Raifeinnsen Bank (BUL) was 2.20, do like most of us regular travellers do, open a Nationwide Flexi Card, load it up before you go, best rates from ATM's and no charges. Tonyt
whoops...whatta mistake-a to make-a.

Post Should read 1.103 euros for a £1 at the local Inter Cash Bureau's.

Sorry Tony, and for giving everyone a bum-steer into the Bureau de Change of La-La Land

regards Jim..
Hi Jim,

As Tony says, Nationwide's Flex Debit Card is the ONLY way to travel, today's rate for ATM withdrawals with one is £1 = €1.15 (an extra €4.70 per £100 exchanged, against your Inter Cash Bureau rate).

You'll usually find that the bank rates offered in Golden Sands (or any other resort) are rubbish compared with the rates offered in the same banks in 'real' Bulgarian cities like Varna or Dobrich, as the resort banks take extra profits by adjusting the exchange rates for tourists.

Baldur
the hotel next door to the nympha give a very good rate, it was the best in gs when we were there last year
For hotel rates that may be the case, but nowhere near as good as Nationwide flex rates.

Patka
usually find the bank in St Vlas is a wee bit better than anywhere in SB.
Never even think about buying Lev in UK, the agents her seem to think they can have a laugh with the rate.
When I have tried to tell them its 1.95 Lev to the Euro, they just give me a blank look.

Usual problem with Scottish notes though, so we never take them.

I'll have a look at this Nationwide Flexi account.
usually find the bank in St Vlas is a wee bit better than anywhere in SB.

Banks in any 'real' Bulgarian town, like Sveti Vlas or Nesebar will pay those institutions' normal rate for currency exchange, most places in Sunny Beach & other resorts adjust their rates (in their favour, of course) specifically for tourists.

There can be some difference between banks' rates, as in most countries - Raiffeisen usually seems to offer the best rate on Sterling, Postbank often offers the best rate for visitors exchanging Euros.

Baldur.
today euro = 1.1 to the pound. are there atms in goldensands that i could use my n/w flexi card? last time we went we used £20 notes but i have since learned the advantages of the flexi card!
thanks
Hi bushbaby,

today euro = 1.1 to the pound.

You'd receive 1.12 with the Flex Debit Card today at VISA exchange rates.

Yes there are ATMs in Golden Sands, the Borika ATM finder shows ATMs at Hotel Shipka, Hotel Marina, Tourist Centre Red Crab and the Information Centre, while the VISA ATM locator shows one at Hotel Astera. The Mastercard locator shows ATMs at Hotel Zlatna Kotva, Sparm supermarket, Hotel Kaliakra, Hotel Erma and other locations.

Two banks (which will almost certainly have ATMs) are shown on this 2004 map of Golden Sands and I recall a Raiffeisen Bank branch near the Admiral.

Baldur
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.