Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
I've just had a look on a very useful map I obtained the last time I was in Torremolinos. It shows a lift (ascensor) just off Calle San Miguel near a place called Plaza del Panorama. I suppose you know that Torremolinos is quite hilly and parts of San Miguel have lots of steps but I think the lift is before you get to the steps. It is in the road called Calle de las Mercedes so if you go down San Miguel you'll come to the road leading to the station, carry on down San Miguel until you come to the next road that crosses it and turn left and that should be Calle de las Mercedes, if it is, then (hopefully) the lifts should be on the right hand side.

I believe your hotel is the other side of the main road that runs through Torremolinos but I think the road it is in is almost opposite San Miguel.
We came across this lift in May whilst out for the day from Benalmadena and it was great. I think it was 50 cents each and they didn't charge for the kids. Well worth the money! Hope you find it ok :lol:
The lift is tucked away near the long flight of steps(at the bottom) it doesn`t go all the way to the top, there are still a few flights of steps to negotiate, top and bottom.
OK, I am posting this seven years after the original poster, but a better description of the lift is warranted.

As stated preciously, you do approach the top of the lift from the Calle de la Mercedes, from the centre of Torremolinos, down Calle San Miguel, turn left and it's about 50 yards down on the right.

The Ayuntamiento (town Council) have recently provided a metal ramp to get up the fairly large step to the entrance to the lift, but it's the bottom part you need to worry about with a chair or even a pram.

Once you have paid your 50 centimos to the attendant and taken the minute long ride you come out in a quaint little plaza and are faced with 12 steps in one flight to get down! This is OK as long as the person in the chair can walk, if not, you are STUCK! :cry There is no other way out of the plaza unless you climb or descend stairs, so you would have to go back up in the lift and pay another 50 centimos for doing so.

If you approach from the bottom along Calle de Peligro, there's a lovely sign pointing to the lift, with the Torremolinos Council's Disability department logo complete with the international sign for a disabled person - a wheelchair! :whoops
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.