Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
just like any other airport the pilots have procedures for windy conditions and are very well trained. I have flown into lanzarote many times and not once have i felt in danger, i really wouldn't worry.

hope this helps :wave:
We flew into Leeds/Bradford from Alicante the other week and we had a really bumping turbulant approach, when we got off the plane we realised why it was really windy in Leeds. Me and my friends nearly got the duty free gin and out :yikes
get yor life insurance topped up before flying into arrecife airport!
only kidding nothing to worry about at all.
Landing at Leeds Bradford can sometimes be exciting.

It does suffer at little from weather variations due to its quite high altitude and used to experience some fog which resulted usually in a diversion to Manchester and then back to LBA by coach.

I think as the climate has changed over the years foggy conditions are less common although I have been on a few arrivals where the last couple of hundred feet descent seems to happen quickly to say the least.

Better than any roller coaster :D
Landing at Arricife is one of the best in my book with usually a lovely circle of the sunny island prior to landing
cool.
Which side of the plane is best to be on for Lanzarote as when we went to tenerife we didn't see anything out the window for ages! I think we were on the right of the plane so I'm guessing we could maybe see Africa if we were on the left?
Left hand side for me

have a look here for more info on the best vantage points from the ground as well

http://www.freewebs.com/gcrr/
yeah its aircraft spotting heaven

the dedicated guys go there specifically and stay on hotel rooms with the best balcony views as well
Off topic, Do you have any pics of Ed Force one? The Iron Maiden Plane they took round the world? Flight 666?
Airliners.net is the place to usually find the largest selection of good quality images

not sure if Astreaus used the same plane for both tours but G-OJIB is one of them

link below

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=G-OJIB&distinct_entry=true
:wave: Don't want to worry anybody but have flown to Arrecife a few times, the last being in February this year. Didn't realise the wind was a problem until we came into land, touched the runway and took straight off again. Didn't get any explanation for a few minutes and then the stewardess announced that this was quite a normal procedure :que After a further 20 minutes or so we came into land again without any problems and it was then that the pilot explained it was due to the strong winds. Most of the flights that were due to land after us ended landing on the other islands and being ferried over :really
Todays pilots and aircrew are very highly trained in this specific procedure.

It is standard practice should any last minute crosswinds give any risk
Chivas69 wrote:
Which side of the plane is best to be on for Lanzarote

Been to Lanza twice, the first time I let the kids have the window and the second time was an evening arrival, so couldn't see much anyway :roll: I'd ask Dazbo to pop in on this thread if I were you - he usually knows about this kind of thing.

Chivas69 wrote:
when we went to tenerife we didn't see anything out the window for ages! I think we were on the right of the plane so I'm guessing we could maybe see Africa if we were on the left?

I've sat on the left going down to Tenerife and couldn't see Africa but got great views of Playa de las Americas when we were coming in to land. When I sat on the right going to Tenerife I got lovely views of Madeira, La Palma island, and La Gomera island, because the flight to Tenerife usually approaches the island from the north west and comes around in a circle to approach the airport from the south.

One thing I would recommend - if you ever fly to Fuerteventura during the day you must beg/bribe for a seat on the right-hand side! I've sat on the right to Fuerte twice, and both times have been able to spot the peak of Mount Teide (Tenerife) poking above the clouds on the far south-west horizon just before you fly over Lanzarote. Once Mount Teide disappears (as you descend lower over Lanzarote) you can see Lanzarote, Arrecife airport, Puerto del Carmen, Playa Blanca and Lobos island. Then you fly out over the sea to approach Fuerteventura airport from the south, with a sharp-ish turn to the right, flying very low over Caleta beach and all the hotels in Caleta - lovely!!!
Sounds cool!
Is that re-taking off normal for Lanzarote? Sounds like winds way above the average?
Is that re-taking off normal for Lanzarote? Sounds like winds way above the average?

Lanzarote is well known for its wind :really
I wouldn't say that re-taking off is normal here but in certain conditions it's the safest thing and I have heard of this procedure from others at this airport. Like I said I have been several times and this was the first time and having discussed this with my neighbour who is a pilot I understand why they take this procedure . Many years ago I had the same thing at Palma, just all down to weather conditions on the day. Please don't let any of this put you off. It's a great place and others have said you really do get a great view of the islands and of Lanzarote when coming into land ;) I'm looking forward to booking my next visit :D
Lived here 17 plus years and its never happened to me in all the trips I've taken, so reckon sue136, you have been the unlucky one :(
agree with madsue never heard of that before
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.