Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Well perhaps it is risky now according to todays reports...
http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2007796&c=setreg&region=2

Was looking to book for January for my husbands 50th, but if this carrys on, will have to look around for something else.
Derwentrocker wrote:
Well perhaps it is risky now according to todays reports...
http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2007796&c=setreg&region=2

Was looking to book for January for my husbands 50th, but if this carrys on, will have to look around for something else.

Perhaps that is because they want to be seen to be doing something to show that they take the safety of the tourists that are still travelling seriously Michelle ? It may not be anything more serious than that.

Also I think most (some?) airports in Egypt are Military airports as well as tourist airports. I'm sure I have read that Sharm is a military airport and that is why there are only ever flights in the afternoon.

No idea why that might be though, perhaps they have to do military type things in the mornings :que
I'm still worried that the FCO are in the pockets of the TO's a lot more than they are in other a Countrys. Otherwise it doesn't make sense why Denmark, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Norway and numerous other Country's have given directives against Sharm Etc - seems weird to me, but obviously that's just my personal opinion,
There were checkpoints on all the main roads from the Airport when we were there last couple of weeks, but only manned by Police, not military (though still armed).

Tour buses were let straight through, but they were stopping/checking other vehicles.
I think that is good as at least for first timers it makes them feel their safety is being taken seriously.

What I worry about is whilst people who have been to Sharm a few times will no doubt eventually return, how on earth will first timers be encouraged to visit, when there are similar places like Tunisia and Morocco that attract holidaymakers who also want to try something a little different from Europe, but in their comfort zone and at a reasonable price.

Without the first timer you don't then get the ones that realise its their destination for one reason or another and become regulars, you need a combination of both to keep resorts of this size going.

Doe
for the latest updates of the situation in Egypt check for latest updates on the gov uk site https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.