Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I like Egypt but would not book a holiday there at this time, hope they can sort things out without it descending into widespread violence.
Fiona wrote:
Is anyone feeling a little alarmed with what is happening just now? Every time I look at the news things seem to be escalating. I have a friend who is going to Sharm but only chose this as she wanted to take the trip into Cairo. She is a little worried despite reassurances that she should be ok.

Who is she travelling with Fi ? Thomson have currently cancelled all their excursions from Sharm to Cairo, and would imagine all the big TO's will have done the same. They have also apparently sent empty planes out to bring back folk on Luxor based holidays.

I guess people who are DIYing get to make up their own minds as to if to chance Cairo and/or Luxor, don't think I would chance it myself currently, as could end up being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's a shame for your friend though :(

Doe :sun2
As far as I know she was booking the trip when she got there. But she had dithered over booking Egypt and then decided she would actually go as she had always wanted to visit the pyramids and museums.
However, I am wondering just now how far the violence is going to go. I thought the news yesterday of the shooting of peaceful protesters was quite shocking and I would imagine it will only trigger off more trouble.
Nick- I am also pleased I don't have to make any decisions about a holiday in Egypt
Sharm el Sheikh is still on the list ok'd by the FCO but as much as I love Egypt and Cairo, I wouldn't go booking any trips to Cairo independently or otherwise at this moment in time.

But give it a little more time and things may settle again depending on the outcome of this recent "non-military coup". There haven't been great reports coming out of Luxor either so think it's best for now to stick to what are classed as the safe areas.

You don't say when you're friend is actually travelling so it's a bit difficult to judge what she is best to do but if she is booking when she gets there then she should just sit back and hang fire...
Im flying out to Egypt next week, going to sharm el sheikh.. looking forward to it as ive never been before .. keep checking the news every couple of hours... hope it all dies down very soon, its awful to hear of loss of lives in what is meant to be peaceful demonstrations..
They go later this week. So it looks like Cairo will just be a no go. It just looks pretty scarey at the moment and I wonder how bad it will get. No-one knows. Worrying times :(
Must admit I am glad I haven't got a booking at the moment Fi. I don't know what I would do, there have been a few incidents in Sharm someone posted on TA and the later deletes them ! Street fighting between the two factions seen by tourists. The people just scuttled back to their hotels. They were on route to Naama Bay and stayed in doors for the rest of the holiday as it frightened them, but that's no holiday really if you can't go out. I went twice last year and could easily have had a live booking at present, so it's pure fluke for me that I don't have that difficult decision to make.
oh no Doe. So it is spreading in some way to the resorts. I went through worry when Bangkok had its problems, wondering whether to cancel. We went ahead and saw nothing though. So I know how worried folks would be now.
I think it will be really minimal in the resorts though as tourism is their bread and butter, but I guess it is inevitable that the odd scuffle will occur. It's probably like a lot of these things and if you are two or three streets away from the action you could almost be on a different planet. I guess the best bet is if you see any large gatherings walk the other way. I live in London and still watched the riots as though they were happening thousands of miles away, while a factory four miles away was sort of being blown up. That said I still wouldn't go to Cairo/Luxor/Alex on holiday at present, you have a lot more flexibility on where you can holiday to where you live.
Oh dear seems like the Egyptian Army opened fire on the Egyptian Brotherhood protestors and killed 50 of them not good at all :(
It seems to get worse by the day. It really is a scarey time for Egypt. I had a friend who lived in Cairo who has only recently left but I can imagine how she feels watching all this.
I have been talking to some one who has recently returned from sharm.. it seems the worry is now the knock on affect .. apparently petrol etc is really scarce, and supplies are not able to reach the hotels.. however our travel agents are still saying its ok for us to travel .. wont be much of a holiday if theres no food and drink in our A.I hotel .. hope it gets sorted quickly, cant be too good for those guys out there trying to earn a wage :(
Returned from Sharm [Namma Bay] on Wednesday 10th, had a great time and saw no trouble,
hope things don,t change there its such a lovely resort
Ann
Glad you had a great holiday Ann, I only hope that others who have booked have the same, fingers crossed.
I hope it all calms down quickly, the resorts badly need tourists and they had only started returning after the earlier troubles.

I certainly have no intention of cancelling our holiday in January and will go if still possible.
Glynis HT Admin wrote:
Glad you had a great holiday Ann, I only hope that others who have booked have the same, fingers crossed.

Thank you Glynis, we took our daughter and family, although very hot they loved it.
we have booked for March with friends so hope things in Egypt calm down.
ann
Really sad news report from the BBC on the effect of the Poltical Crisis on tourism in Luxor

Hope I have copied and pasted OK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23371370
doe, having "done" the Nile cruise from Luxor to Aswan about 5 years ago, we were appalled by that report -all those boats tied up and rusting, no one at the temples - so much employment gone -we were both so sad for the people involved. :(
Lets hope it recovers altho' I don't think it will happen soon. :cry
that is so sad I love Egypt they should have stayed with Mubarak (((
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.