General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
That is a fascinating glimpse behind the scenes. On the face of it, most people probably view a rep's job as fun and like being on holiday all the time. I appreciate that you haven't named names as well. :)
That's so true Fiona and the reason why TO's are really not bothered about paying proper salaries or keeping their loyal staff who perform their duties correctly. There's always another young 20 something who will be more than ready to jump into their shoes to fill a space for what they think will be a long holiday in the sun - with pay.

When they find out just how many hours they are expected to work and that they get no holidays, the shock sets in and many give up after the first 2 months...

After 10 years of working with a TO in the UK before transferring to Cyprus, I was told lies in that I would lose only 2 days of my 27 days holiday, my concessions would continue based on my years' service and that I was on a full time contract..... Not so!

The reality was more working hours for almost half my UK salary for 5 and a half days per week. The half day was for my "holiday entitlement" of 13 days on a six month seasonal contract! My concession was reduced from £1500 per year to just £300. I was made to pay £100 towards the supply of my uniform, which I had had free for the last 10 years.

I walked out of the office and my job one lunchtime when I was thoroughly peed off with the lack of training and the help which was promised. They forced me into a position that I had not originally applied for in the last 10 days before I was due to leave my UK job and move permanently to Cyprus. I lasted just 4 weeks and 1 day.... again, I was another 40 something :-(
Thank you. Definitely an eye opener. Reps work extremely long hours, and while I knew the pay was bad, I didn't realise how bad, and yes, I always thought comission was earnt on selling trips.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.