Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Hi there sliema2

I have been searching my maps for the starting point of your walk
the only thing i came up with is in the mAZe.
If you get off the bus at pwales beach and walk towards mellhia, past the simar nature reserve (went to a great bar-b-que there years ago)where the road bears right to go up xemxija hill take a left into a street called ridott and walk to the part where the road turns right there is a track called old roman road thats where the maze lets us down as it doesn't continue from there on the map.
this should head towards mannikata and the bajda ridge.

sorry i can't help you any further

inselli ghalik

alan
Hi Alan, that's brilliant mate I think you might of cracked it, if not then we are certainly a lot closer than when I first asked, oddly enough the directions you describe are practically where I envisaged us starting from.

Grazzi u sahha
Sliema2
Hi there (no wave :( !) can you post a copy of the map on here please. i might be tempted to do it in June. If Sliema is there before us can he leave a trail of cisk for us to follow?
It is exactly where you said. We stayed at Porto Azzuro on Ridott Street which is a left turn off Xemxija Hill just after the layby with Porto del Sol on the corner. Walk up the steep hill which is Ridott St to the top and then the walk starts, it is all signposted with many interesting things to look at on the way up (neoglithic temples!) and a fantastic view. Just look out for the dog (!) poo.

Buses to Xemxija are supposedly 43, 44, 45, 50 from Valletta (never saw a 43 or a 50:shock: & 48 from Sliema.
Fantastic, many thanks to you both for this, we will be doing the walk next week on our wedding anniversary and we are really looking forward to it.

Regards
Sliema2
E-mailed St Paul's Bay Council who are going to kindly send me a copy of the booklet by post (so I can read up before we go!). Could anyone tell me how long it would take to walk from the Qawra/Bugibba area to Xemxija
Thanks
Hello Darius,
The walk from Buggiba to Xemxija I can only guess will take up to an hour depending on how fast you walk e.t.c.
Hi Darius, we did the walk many times from Xemxija to Qawra/Bugibba & it does take about an hour. It seems a lot quicker on the bus but we got lost trying to follow that route. Walking along the seafront is pleasant but we did get a bit fed up with walking that far looking for a restaurant in the evening once we had tried the 4 in Xemxija. You can get a bus during the day but they do stop early evening, hope this helps.
Thanks very much.
How long did it take you to do the Heritage Trail?
Hi Darius, about an hour. It is a steep climb that is well signposted with lovely little signs. There are some caves to look at and old fashioned bee hives carved in limestone. Climb right to the top and the view is fantastic. At the top you can see some houses in the distance and its mainly scrubland. Be warned, hunters operate in the area and we did hear shots fairly close when we were up there. The white paint splattered everywhere is apparently put there by hunters to make people think its private property.
the old fashioned beehives are around 2,000 years old and its worth going just to see them

http://megalithic.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=a312&file=index&do=showpic&pid=6541
jothebookworm and gozomark thank you both very much.
My Heritage Trail booklet arrived today after being requested Friday night by e-mail - how's that for service! It seems to cover an amazing amount of sights in one walk including Roman Baths and cart ruts. It also shows a doorway that they say is on the road down to Mistra Bay - d'you know if it's possible to swim from there? If so a perfect day out! Shame about the hunters - are they still likely to be about late June/early July?
Hello Darius,

Yes you can swim at Mistra Bay, It has only one restaurant which is not open all the time but it looks like a nice place to eat.
hi all

well with all this interest in the heritage trail we should think about getting a t-shirt printed.
i will definitly do the walk when i'm in malta in august.
i was introduced to mistra bay about e30 years ago when it was almost unknown, there wasn't a bar there then and deserted most of the time, my brother in law took me scuba diving there by boat several time, not a soul about.

inselli ghalik

alan
Thanks m&n & happychef found this site for Mistra Bay yesterday
http://www.templestudios.com/
thought it was some nice secluded studio accommodation but is actually a recording studio - but the photos look good.
Re the t-shirt option I have visions now of meeting hundreds of ' tourist pilgrims' on the Trail. It does look good - even woodland for a rest and a water/Cisk break
Yes it's also the one restaurant that I mentioned 8)
m&n is correct,
the restaurant part is called Palazzo Santa Rosa - and yes, a quite nice place to eat :lol:
Well guys did the walk last Wednesday on our 9th wedding anniversary (we had our first wedding anniversary in Xemxija so always try to go there on that day) the walk is superb with fascinating things to see and magnificent views etc, we sat under the carob tree at the Roman apiaries and had a picnic lunch and wow was it good, the walk takes a couple of hours but I can really reccomend it, the only warning I would give is to be carefull at the Roman baths as the steps down are very old and in bad repair, anyone please ask if they have any questions.

Regards
Sliema2
Sounds great - was going to ask if it's possible to enter the baths - is there anything to see inside them? Did intend looking at the Roman Baths site near Golden Bay but have noted from the Malta Heritage Site that these are closed for restoration works
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.