Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
There are fishing trips advertised on at least one website, if you Google 'fishing trips black sea' but they appear to only amount to about two hours fishing. You will probably see the local tour operators advertising fishing trips in the resort - they certainly do in the Northern resorts.

Baldur
Hi i too would like to know about trips in Bulgaria. :que
We normally go to Turkey as its quite reasonable for day trips.
About £30-35 this year for 2adults and a child!
We did jeep safari,lazy day,quad biking,horse safari and turkish night. :D
We book with the turkish reps in the town.
Can anyone tell us what the average cost for trips in Bulgaria and would it be cheaper to book with local reps?
We're hoping to go next year in October.
Thanks guys.xxx
Personally, I wouldn't even think of going in October, as the weather is likely to be very unpredictable at that time of year and the resorts will be winding down to closure for the winter.

If you read back through this thread/use the 'search' function at the top of the page, you'll find examples of trips and prices - the trips sound similar to those which you've done in Turkey. Some posters advocate booking with local tour companies, rather than your reps, as the prices tend to be cheaper.

Baldur
October is dead, everything will be closed and weather can be terrible, very cold & windy.

Re excursions, the local ones may be cheaper but may be multi-national and commentary may be in 3 or 4 languages, also you need to be sure re insurance cover with local ones.

Patka
Will there be much to do there at the moment?

We're flying out on Friday 26th, and returning on October 3rd. Is it going to be dead then? :(
There will be some bars and restaurants still open but the waterparks and beach stuff will all be away for the winter.

Patka
Just an update on Patka's posting. The Aqua Parks in both Sunny Beach and Nessebar, shut up shop on the 20th Sept. Tonyt
:lol: Hi Baldur,
Many thanks for your advice.
I will follow the thread and check out the trips and give October a miss. :bow

Catsbumfluff x
:wave: Hi guys.
I'm really keen on visiting Bulgaria next year.
We have been to Turkey the last 3 years and was not disappointed.
But i need some help..we normally do all the trips which average £30-35 for 2 adults and a child.
Lazy day, quad biking,horse riding, turkish night,jeep safari.
What trips are available and what was the average cost this year?

We normally book with the local tour operators not the reps :tup
This will help me calculate my funds if not it will be Turkey again this year,which is not a bad thing.
I just love the fact that you get to see so much more of the country while touring a round on a trip.
Its a bonus. :clap
Hope you can help guys.
Much appreciated. :glynis

Catsbumfluff xxx
Hang out with Vicktor Krum. Make sure you get Ron an autograph. Kidding.

Get some friends and throw a party.
Go out to eat with your family.
Read.
Go online and look up rainy day activites.

Edit **please do not add unauthorised signatures to your posts**
I found a few pages of suggestions on things to do in Bulgaria - diving, quads, boat trips, 4x4, riding, etc.
It depends what sort of holiday you're looking for and where you're going. Bulgaria is a beautiful country and has a lot to offer. The area around Borovets (only an hour 15 mins from Sofia airport) is lovely for a summer holiday as well as for the obvious skiing. There are wonderful walks to be had in the mountains, both for leisurely walks and the more intense, involving staying overnight in cabins. There are also lots of lovely flat walks through the valleys along with picnic spots and rivers to fish in. For those who want to play golf, go horse riding, ride quad bikes etc you can do all those things too.There are a couple of outdoor swimming pools and Lake Iskar is onlty 20 mins drive away, where there's a whole host of watersports to be had. For city lovers there's Sofia and Plovdiv to visit. The Rila Monastery is a lovely day out. For a summer holiday with a difference the Borovets area can't be beaten really. But for those who have to have sun, sea and sand, well there's plenty of that too on the Black sea Coast.
:D Thanks "madabouttravel" thats quite helpful. :glynis
Just to pick your brains further do you or anyone reading this know what prices of trips are like.
We love the walks and so fourth but quad biking and boat trips etc is our main thing as our son is 9 and we find he loves these activities. :clap

We pay on average from £20-30 for the 3 of us ..not each for the average trip and quite often lunch is thrown in too.
Thats when we're in Turkey and we book with the toates not the reps!

I'm really looking forward to going to Bulgaria this year,despite my son nagging to go back to Turkey.

Many thanks
Catsbumfluff x :thanks
Hi Catsbumfluff,

do you or anyone reading this know what prices of trips are like.
We love the walks and so fourth but quad biking and boat trips etc is our main thing as our son is 9 and we find he loves these activities.

Prices for trips & activities tend to vary widely, depending on resort, use of local taxi drivers, local tour operators or holiday company reps and so on (probably the same as you have found in Turkey). They also tend to be set at the start of the new season, so you are most likely to receive accurate information about trip prices, etc., from May onwards.

You mentioned 'Lazy Day' in a previous post - the Bulgarian 'Lazy Day' & catamaran cruise information can be found HERE - operates from Sunny Beach/Nesebar.

Khan's Tent/Hanska Shatra (Ñ!анска шатра) is probably the nearest Bulgarian equivalent to the Turkish Night in the Sunny Beach area - website HERE. Visitors have also mentioned Southern Nights/Yuzhni Noshti (Южни нощи) in Sunny Beach as being a similar type of evening.

Baldur
Hi
Try looking at Borovets-PMS website. They will be able to give you some idea of prices. Sorry, I wasn't allowed to give you the link.

http://www.borovets-pms.com/
  • Edited by Glynis HT Admin 2009-01-16 22:23:23
    Edit to add link on members behalf.
madabouttravel wrote:
It depends what sort of holiday you're looking for and where you're going. Bulgaria is a beautiful country and has a lot to offer. The area around Borovets (only an hour 15 mins from Sofia airport) is lovely for a summer holiday as well as for the obvious skiing. There are wonderful walks to be had in the mountains, both for leisurely walks and the more intense, involving staying overnight in cabins. There are also lots of lovely flat walks through the valleys along with picnic spots and rivers to fish in. For those who want to play golf, go horse riding, ride quad bikes etc you can do all those things too.There are a couple of outdoor swimming pools and Lake Iskar is onlty 20 mins drive away, where there's a whole host of watersports to be had. For city lovers there's Sofia and Plovdiv to visit. The Rila Monastery is a lovely day out. For a summer holiday with a difference the Borovets area can't be beaten really. But for those who have to have sun, sea and sand, well there's plenty of that too on the Black sea Coast.

Hi Madabouttravel

I notice in your above comment you mention Lake Iskar - I am interested to know about this area in particular as I have just booked an all inclusive wakeboarding holiday and will be on this Lake everyday! I have booked up with a holiday company called Snow & Wake Bulgaria. It's an all inclusive package and we are staying in a village called Dragushinovo, apparently it is 1000m away from the town Samokov.

We travel over there in June - I have been told the weather is really good, but looking on climate stats it looks like this is the month with the most rain? I hope not - but I suppose it's a risk you take with any holiday.

I have heard drink is really cheap?? That's all I need in my budget for spends :tup

It's my first time to Bulgaria, so any advice would be much appreciated.
Hi bayliner2052,
I have heard drink is really cheap?? That's all I need in my budget for spends

Compared to the UK, alcohol is very cheap, as long as you stick to locally-produced drinks; imported beers, wines & spirits are much more expensive - e.g. current Bulgarian supermarket prices: 1 litre of local 'Astoria' vodka 8.39 Leva (around £3.88 at today's local exchange rate) or a 3 litre box of Domaine Boyar Cabernet Sauvignon is 10.74 Leva (around £4.97).

For comparison, an imported 700ml bottle of Russian Standart vodka is 20.99 Leva (£9.70)

Baldur
Hi
I'm not sure there's really anything I can add to what you already know and what Baldur said. The villa you're staying in looks lovely. I'm sure you'll love it. Lake Iskar is very beautiful, a great place to do water sports. The climate there is very similar to the Mediterranean, so I wouldn't worry about the weather.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.